Couple get 9 years prison for Wendy's finger scam

Arkan

people should be punnished mercilessly, for taking these types of actions I think. Frivolous lawsuits are geting a little out of hand in America. Just a little. These two should have their fingers hacked off and planted in a rose garden

Edited by HaPhApAbLaP

people should be punnished mercilessly, for taking these types of actions I think.  Frivolous lawsuits are geting a little out of hand in America.  Just a little.  These two should have their fingers hacked off and planted a rose garden

Are you completely serious about that?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That is a tad excessive.

They should do a criminal couples Fear Factor that has stunts that will span 6 weeks. Each week eliminates one couple. They each start out with a mandatory 12 years in prison, no possibility of parole. Each week the number of years served drops by 2. The losing couple spends that much time in a maximum security prison. The couple who wins serves no time but still has to do 1000 hours of community service.

:D

America definitely needs to put some lockdowns on the whole lawsuit thing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The money gained can be given to reimbuse the courts for costs incured and damages to the victims.  The broadcast compnay can make it as a tax write off.

wow Hades, that almost makes you sound benevolent :blink:

Vote Fionavar for supreme court! :D

I'll go for that :x

Is this excessive or just punishment? (Wendy's finger scandal)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060118/us_nm/...endys_finger_dc

SAN JOSE, California (Reuters) - A California court sentenced a couple to nine years in prison on Wednesday for planting a severed human finger in a bowl of chili to swindle a Wendy's fast food restaurant.

A judge in Santa Clara Superior Court sentenced Anna Ayala and her husband, Jaime Plascencia, to nine years imprisonment for their role in the Wendy's scam, which caused a sharp fall in sales at the third-largest U.S. burger chain.

The husband was given another three years and four months for not paying support for the five children he has with another woman in an unrelated case, giving him a total sentence of 12 years, four months behind bars.

Both received near the maximum possible punishment in their cases.

"I am truly sorry. I owe Wendy's and its employees an apology," a sobbing Ayala told the court. "Wendy's had always been my family's favorite fast food restaurant."

She called her actions "a moment of poor judgment," and told her family: "For all the shame I brought upon them I am sorry, I am so sorry."

Ayala, 39, who had been a Las Vegas resident, had initially claimed that she discovered the finger after buying the bowl of chili last March. She hired a lawyer and complained publicly about the experience, attracting wide attention to the seemingly bizarre incident.

Investigators later determined Plascencia obtained the piece of finger from a co-worker who had lost the top of a finger in an industrial accident at a Las Vegas paving company. The man had turned over the finger fragment to settle a $50 debt.

"I am extremely remorseful," said Plascencia, 43, who, like his wife, wore prison garb to the hearing at which television cameras were permitted.

Wendy's International, based in Dublin, Ohio, paid a $100,000 reward for information to help establish the source of the severed finger.

Company officials said it took Wendy's months to recover from the bad publicity and lost millions of dollars in sales because of the incident. At one point it gave away free ice cream to try to lure customers back into its San Jose area restaurants.

They got what they deserve, they give the american justice system a bad name.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

*snip* they give the american justice system a bad name.

How? :x

Didn't think that was possible...considering the state it's in already.

As for the sentence......I'm with LadyCrimson. Let them rot in a minimum security prison. They shouldn't have to spend years and years with people who'd kill them as soon as look at them. The severity of the crime doesn't warrant death, by any means.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I don't think I saw anything about where their prison sentences would be carried out. San Quentin? Where did that come from? There are myriad prisons in California. Their criminal background would have a bit to do with where they will be sent... clearly they won't be sharing accommodations... but I doubt they'll be serving their sentences in Pelican Bay, for example. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr. Ayala end up in Folsom, and Ms. Ayala end up in Chino, though.

Minimum security? With their backgrounds and previous legal scams perpetrated? I kinda doubt it. Besides, the state penal system is considerably different than the federal penal system, so anyone hoping they'll be sent to Martha's old "Club Fed" haunt will be sorely disappointed. :)

That is a tad excessive.

They should do a criminal couples Fear Factor that has stunts that will span 6 weeks.  Each week eliminates one couple.  They each start out with a mandatory 12 years in prison, no possibility of parole.  Each week the number of years served drops by 2.  The losing couple spends that much time in a maximum security prison.  The couple who wins serves no time but still has to do 1000 hours of community service.

:D

:)

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

It's a pretty stupid scam to begin with. I mean something as unusual as a human finger can be traced back through the food preparation steps. If noone is missing one, then where the hell did it come from ?.

It can be DNA mached, fingerprinted ect. A ****eroach or a maggot or something would be both smarter and easier to get a hold of.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I don't think I saw anything about where their prison sentences would be carried out.  San Quentin?  Where did that come from? 

There wasn't anything about what prison. I was just stating a personal opinion on what might change my view of what's excessive or non-excessive in such a criminal case. As some regular's might have noticed, I sometimes stray into the realm of generalistic concept in my mumblings rather than strict topic-fact following... :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

did anyone see last year how she tired to imitate marcus wesson when she walked into trial last year? these are the same people who have babies and burn smokes into their dome, so she's just lucky they didn't send her to the SPCA so they could put the wild animal down.

:huh:

No. Their actions had far reaching consequences for the community and even nationwide. The initial story broke on national television, and cost Wendys untold amounts of money. Those costs had an immediate effect on Wendys employees and will translate into costs for the consumer. If there is a maximum sentence for this category of crime, I'm all for it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Is this excessive or just punishment? (Wendy's finger scandal)

Yes. Prison is expensive and a waste of taxpayer's money unless the criminal is a threat to the public. These people should be made to work at Wendy's and do community service in their free time.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

There wasn't anything about what prison. I was just stating a personal opinion on what might change my view of what's excessive or non-excessive in such a criminal case. As some regular's might have noticed, I sometimes stray into the realm of generalistic concept in my mumblings rather than strict topic-fact following... :D

Oh hell, why didn't you say so? A woman after my own heart! :rolleyes:

Carry on.

:lol: