Eschalon: Book 1

karka

Basilisk Games is very pleased to announce our first title Eschalon: Book I, the start of an epic trilogy of computer RPGs created in the spirit of the great role-playing games of the past. Eschalon: Book I will take you across massive outdoor environments and deep into dozens of sprawling dungeons as you seek to uncover the mystery of who - or what - you are.

► Hundreds of items and dozens creatures to discover. A combination of randomly generated treasure and carefully hidden goodies.

► An non-linear storyline that can be played at your pace. As you struggle to uncover the secrets of your past, you must decide where to go and who to trust. The game world is yours to discover- just be careful not to get yourself in too deep, too soon!

► Unlimited character development style...Choose from 25 unique skills to make the character you want and 8 base attributes that affect your character's every action throughout the game.

► A turn-based yet fluid combat system keeps the action feeling near real-time. Strategy is key in Eschalon- careful skill management, weapon choice and magic usage will win your fights, not rapid button clicking. We are very pleased to say this is not another "action RPG".

► An epic adventure that you face alone...a single-player RPG carefully designed to feel like the great RPGs of the past such as Ultima

centinexx.png

Woah, finally someone starts to tap the same vein as SpidWeb.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Most impressive! :wub:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Cute graphics at least. I noticed that I've missed that simple kind of graphics.. Let's hope it becomes good, but I'm not holding my hopes up. Most of these small projects turn out to be crap, except for Exile and Geneforge.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm having Siege of Avalon flashbacks.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So far I don't see anything about this to excite me. Seems kind of generic.

I'll look more at it after work. Maybe that opinion will change.

Why are you bitching, Kirottu. You have tons of games that are twitchfests. We need more games like this. When the bulk of CRPGs come out like this, then you can start bitching.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Why are you bitching, Kirottu. You have tons of games that are twitchfests. We need more games like this. When the bulk of CRPGs come out like this, then you can start bitching.

What we really need is V.A.T.S. system implemented to Eschalon

;) just kiddin.....

My in-depth examination:

► Hundreds of items and dozens creatures to discover. A combination of randomly generated treasure and carefully hidden goodies.
Pretty basic, no negative side to it.

► An non-linear storyline that can be played at your pace. As you struggle to uncover the secrets of your past, you must decide where to go and who to trust. The game world is yours to discover- just be careful not to get yourself in too deep, too soon!
Nice, but I'd like elaboration.

► Unlimited character development style...Choose from 25 unique skills to make the character you want and 8 base attributes that affect your character's every action throughout the game.
How will this interact with the game's balance? Will my unique character end up getting his ass handed to him for not maximing his potential with carefully laid charts and spreadsheets?

► A turn-based yet fluid combat system keeps the action feeling near real-time. Strategy is key in Eschalon- careful skill management, weapon choice and magic usage will win your fights, not rapid button clicking. We are very pleased to say this is not another "action RPG".
I'm glad it's not a clickfest, but can I still play my character my way or does "careful skill management, weapon choice, and magic usage" mean I'll have to lay my character out via charts and min-max to avoid disaster?

► An epic adventure that you face alone...a single-player RPG carefully designed to feel like the great RPGs of the past such as Ultima
Edited by Tale

I'd guess this is going to end up like Avernum 1 - a decent try, but the ends up being a yet another redundant "fed-ex service boy saves the kingdom"-quest. The second part(he mentions a trilogy) is bound to be better.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'd guess this is going to end up like Avernum 1 - a decent try, but the ends up being a yet another redundant "fed-ex service boy saves the kingdom"-quest. The second part(he mentions a trilogy) is bound to be better.

I should make a fantasy roleplaying game with only one available class. Postman.

I'd play that.

If for nothing else, then at least for the originality of not having to start as a "magick-user".

kirottu said: