Need new hardrive

Craigboy2

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap new hardrive. After going to my friends house and seeing that his 700MHz computer had a 20 GB hardrive I decided I needed a new one (my computer is 1.6 GHz and it has 16 GB of memory).

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

My computer only has 9 GB.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

:(

When you get a new one don't go any lower than 80GBs. 

How old is the computer?  :o

You'd be lucky to find anything smaller than 80GB now that isn't a laptop or mini-external hard drive.

EDIT: My computer has a 40GB that's completely full about 95% of the time.

Edited by Deraldin

(my computer is 1.6 GHz and it has 16 GB of memory).

I didn't realize there were mother boards on the market that supported that.

As far as a hard drive. Seagate are really good and reliable.

Most of the hard drives that I see now are about 160Gig. Seems like a lot, until you start using it.

You guys don't seem to be very helpful <_< I think I might get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822140167

:p

How old is the computer?  :lol:

I don't know how old all the pieces are, some might have come from my old 256 MHz computer (but more likely from my old 556 MHz comp). When something becomes insanely out of date (or if it brakes), I get a new one. But never anything top of the line.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Dude that's a lot of memory.

(w00t) I have an 80 Gb front drive and 5 320 Gb additional drives and 2 are full and a third is close to it. Hell, some of my folders alone are 40 Gb!

:p

How old is the computer?  :lol:

Agreed. 80 Gb drives are so common that you can get them for around 80-90 USD at stores like Office Max.

Most of what I use is Western Digital drives. They are cheap but serviceable. Maxtor is a very good drive but cost only a little more. Seagate is even better but kind of pricey.

If you are going to be storing a lot of stuff, have a second drive that is much larger than the front drive. When you go to format, replace, whatever the first drive, it's nice to have sufficient space on another drive to back up all your information on. It's also very handy if you have to do any data recovery. Data recovery must be performed from one drive and stored on another. A second drive is very handy and doesn't have to be done at once. Just add it whenever you can afford it. Keep in mind though!!!...some older computers BIOS cannot support a drive over 137 Gb ( barrier ). The front drive MUST be smaller than this or you will not be able to boot your computer. If you are using WinXP, your second drive can be as large as you like but will automatically be NTFS format file system. Not important and won't cause any problems. Just thought I'd mention it so it doesn't surprise you when it comes up. If you are not using WinXP and want to use one of the larger drives you will have to install a PCI expander card that corrects the 137 Gb barrier. Drop me a note if this will be a question and I'll give you more information on how to do it. Doesn't cost much.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

You guys don't seem to be very helpful <_< I think I might get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822140167

[

Maxtor is good, but that drive is only 40 gig. IF you are using it as an add-on for gaming purposes (and have a few more slots for additional drives), that is fine, if you are going to use it as your main drive, you really need a larger one that that.

I use it to play games but nothing new, I don't even have a video card yet. It just drove me insane when I had Ps:T, IWD, Baldur's Gate (Plus Norton, MS AntiSpyware, Adobe Photoshop 6.0, J Creator) and my comp bearly had any memory left.

EDIT: Should I get this one?

Edited by Craigboy2

I use it to play games but nothing new, I don't even have a video card yet. It just drove me insane when I had Ps:T, IWD, Baldur's Gate (Plus Norton, MS AntiSpyware, Adobe Photoshop 6.0, J Creator) and my comp bearly had any memory left.

I'd suggest looking for something larger, even if you don't have a video card to play more advanced games on yet.

I think you are using memory and diskdrives interchangably.

do you have 16 gig's of disk space or 16gigs of random access memory?

how are you using photoshop without a video card? for that matter, how are you getting images on the screen without a video card? (I'm not talking high end, mega bucks video card, just any)

Sorry, but I think part of the problem is terminology and what you are actually working with.

I still think that a larger hard drive is the way to go. photoshop files can get large depending on how extensively you use the program.

He probably has an onboard graphics card. And when he says memory he actually means hard disk space.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

:)

How old is the computer?  :)

I don't know how old all the pieces are, some might have come from my old 256 MHz computer (but more likely from my old 556 MHz comp). When something becomes insanely out of date (or if it brakes), I get a new one. But never anything top of the line.

1. Junk that P.O.S.

2. Accquire $500.

3. Head on over to Best Buy and buy one of their mid-range eMachines, they're quite decent, I've worked on one myself. The newer ones have PCI-E, come with a flat panel monitor, and generally use Athon-64 CPUs. Don't get a warranty on that crap though, you'll be voiding it in step four.

4. Save some more money, slap a new videocard in it and upgrade the RAM to 2GB, you now have a gaming rig.

Dude that's a lot of memory.

(w00t) I have an 80 Gb front drive and 5 320 Gb additional drives and 2 are full and a third is close to it. Hell, some of my folders alone are 40 Gb!

And I thought I had a lot of headspace with my 100+160+250 :shifty:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Maxtor or Seagate are both decent...whatever's on sale. I personally don't think it matters all that much anymore.

My main PC is about 120GB and my 2nd has 2 drives...one 120 and one very old 2. hehe

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

:lol:

How old is the computer?  :blink:

1. Junk that P.O.S.

2. Accquire $500.

3. Head on over to Best Buy and buy one of their mid-range eMachines, they're quite decent, I've worked on one myself. The newer ones have PCI-E, come with a flat panel monitor, and generally use Athon-64 CPUs. Don't get a warranty on that crap though, you'll be voiding it in step four.

4. Save some more money, slap a new videocard in it and upgrade the RAM to 2GB, you now have a gaming rig.

I don't have $500 and if I did than that would end up in my college fund.

I think you are using memory and diskdrives interchangably.

do you have 16 gig's of disk space or 16gigs of random access memory?

how are you using photoshop without a video card? for that matter, how are you getting images on the screen without a video card? (I'm not talking high end, mega bucks video card, just any)

Sorry, but I think part of the problem is terminology and what you are actually working with.

I still think that a larger hard drive is the way to go. photoshop files can get large depending on how extensively you use the program.

Sorry I actually have 18 GB of memory (I accidently just looked at the used space) and I have 512 MB of RAM. I forgot how to find all of my system specs. So if you can tell, than i'll post them.

Edited by Craigboy2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm going to guess he has some kind of on-board video, perhaps....just not a seperately installed video card. Just a guess tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mr. Craigboy2, I apologize for lack of helpfulness, but at this junction it might be wise to take the hint and realize your computer is horribly outdated, so much so that it would be more effective just to build or buy a new one, rather than place a slightly larger Hard Drive in it. When I suggested this, you whined about how you don't have $500, and if you did, it would go in a college fund.

I will now suggest you get a freaking job.

I was working when I was 15.

Put up a lemonade stand, there's no excuse. :wub:

Edited by LadyCrimson