Fallout 3

Jorian Drake

I'm not going to bother reading through this thread. My statement about Fallout 3 is, if none of the orignal devs and people who worked on the first two are not involved, than this shouldn't be made.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I wish I could believe that Bethesda will deliver on Fallout 3.

A game based on the Fallout setting and S.P.E.C.I.A.L rules we all know and love.

Alas I fear their priorities differ greatly from the fanbase.

My expectations are very low, nearly non-existant ... FO3 from Bethesda most likely will be a FPS set in a post-apocalyptic, shiny sandbox world.

They bought the Fallout license because Interplay had it on sale. It went for

1 million plus royalties for 3 games on any platform.

Basically they bought the Fallout name.

Troika were in negotations for the license but due to financial backing pulling out (Troika needed more money), failed in their endeavors.

Fallout 3 died with Black Isle's "Van Buren".

Go to NMA, read all the design docs.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php...egory&cat_id=61

Know that Bethsoft's game wil be Fallout in name only.

Know that Bethsoft's game wil be Fallout in name only.

You got that right. :shifty:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Why do you guys hate the idea of Fallout 3 so much? 

Just because the development team is different?

Might be worth checking out.

To some of us crazed fans, something like this is sacred, and we don't want to see it trated, made wrong. I trust only those originally involved in the first two games to make Fallout 3 right. I have nothing against Bethesda, I like Morrowind, it just I'm picky about these things.

Edited by Gabrielle

IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to..    ..Morrowind..

BETHESDA: ...it would be similar in style..    ...that it is that we do best.

Its like I said, hoping that Bethesda will make a real CRPG out of Fallout3 is like hoping that cats will start laying eggs. Its just not what they do.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If creators of the original Fallout don't deserve, then who? Bethesda has nothing with Fallout. I am sure, they played first games after taking the rights.

Arcanum was great for me, and Bloodlines was even better. The best rpgs for me after Fallouts.

If Arcanum was any indication of how Troika would have done FO3, then I'm glad they didn't get a chance. I liked Arcanum well enough, but the glaring flaws in the game just shows me that playing a Troika FO3 would have been more irritating than enjoyable.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to..    ..Morrowind..

BETHESDA: ...it would be similar in style..    ...that it is that we do best.

Its like I said, hoping that Bethesda will make a real CRPG out of Fallout3 is like hoping that cats will start laying eggs. Its just not what they do.

I see Hades has rubbed off on you. :blink:

I see Hades has rubbed off on you.  :blink:

Not really, Ive been sayin that ever since Morrowind came out. A cow dont make ham and Bethesda doesnt make good CRPG's

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Troika needed some profit to survive. Profit from Fallout. But,  because of Bethesda, they couldn't take the rights of Fallout sequels. They tried, but Bethesda was richer.

So, the only developer which deserves to make Fallout 3 is dead now. I think this is a good reason to hate Bethesda.

Speculation at best.

Given Troika's track record, what makes you so certain that Troika could have lasted long enough to actually release the game?

If it is Fallout in name only then it will be worthless and terrible.

That's your failure. Poor Hades....can't even look past a title.

I'm not going to bother reading through this thread. My statement about Fallout 3 is, if none of the orignal devs and people who worked on the first two are not involved, than this shouldn't be made.

That makes sense. I'm sure you didn't like KOTOR2 at all, for good reason....none of the original developers were involved! In fact, I think the majority of the developers of Fallout 1 weren't even around for Fallout 2.

I agree with other sentiments....there is zero chance of making the Fallout fans happy. If it's not built with the Fallout engine, it will obviously suck.

Edited by alanschu

Oh, I look more than at the title.

I look at the rules system.

I look at the setting.

I look at the graphic style.

I listen to the music.

I lkisten to the voice acting.

All these elements made what Fallout and Fallout 2 are. ALL OF IT!

Now you can add to these elements and still be Fallout, but remove any one of these elements and replace with something completely different the game will no longer be Fallout.

You've already made it perfectly clear that, even if the game has an excellent rules system, a fantastic setting, excellent graphical style, beautiful music, and AAA voice acting, you won't like it unless it is merely extensions of the original Fallout games.

Thing is, you still aren't looking past the title. The second you see the name Fallout, you demand it to mirror its predecessors, and have already condemned the game because it won't (which is funny, because we still don't have any idea what the rules system is).

It works out well for you though, as it's a win-win situation. If the game turns out like crap, you can come back here and go "see see" in some sort of justification of yourself being correct. But if it does turn out great, and you play it, and you enjoy it...then you win because you get an excellent game experience.

Ravenous fans here!

Did I read someone said Morrowind was buggy? KOTOR2 was barely playable out of the box and even today, all patched up, I still can't swoop race properly! But the music is better. Woohoo! LucasArts slaves.

ALL you people saying Bethesda will do a crappy job are completely high on something very lethal for your brain.

I played ALL of there games, from Arena to the MAGNIFICIENT Morrowind. They know what a CRPG is, they know how to do it. AND THEY WILL TAKE THEIR TIME TO DO IT!

I loved Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 also but that one was EXTREMELY buggy. Fallout tactics was also amazing and I am a fan of the franchise.

No one can say for sure if Bethesda will do Fallout justice or not however, short of BIOWARE, no other WORKING developper has any chance to do a better fallout 3 than Bethesda. Their RPGs are top notch works of art.

Speculation leads nowhere. At least wait for some screenshots or a demo vid before throwing them tomatoes.

Edited by astr0creep

Of course I would make some concessions. Such as I would expect the game to be fully 3D rendered instead of sprite based like the previous Fallouts. I would also expect there would be a real time option, which is fine as long as I have my turn base option and it is balanced at least for turn base if not both.

Bethesda makes fantasy single player MMORPGs, astr0creep, and not science fiction CRPGs. They have no experience with the genre nor the style of Fallout. The nly development house I see that can do Fallout any sort of justice is Obsidian.

Edited by Judge Hades

And the original devs had exactly how much experience when they started developing FO 1?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

How much experience did Obsidian have with making RPG games in the Space Opera setting of Star Wars?

And the original devs had exactly how much experience when they started developing FO 1?

It magically came out of nowhere! Though I suspect people will bring up Wasteland.

It's funny though, because AFAIK the Fallout 2 team was quite a bit different than the Fallout 1 team.

Edited by alanschu

High five!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

They aren't making a new IP, they are making a game that is part of a series. Also their was quite e number of peeps of FO2 that came from FO1. Not all, but a good chunk. How many of FO3 have prior experience withthe previous FOs programming and design wise? Last I counted that number was zero.

Star Wars is a completely different beast. Also KotOR 2 expanded what was established in KotOR 1. From the style of Bethesda's games FO 3 will not have anything in common with the previous FOs except the title.