Intuitive Rules - 2nd Ed. AD&D vs. D&D 3E/3.5

Lancer

Using the word "realistic" when discussing any version of D&D makes baby jesus cry.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't see why there can't be dwarven monks or elven monks, but if you don't like that idea then use Rule 0 and not have them in your campaign. Nothing is stopping you. Personally I don't like any of the base line classes in the PHB 3.5 except rogue. That is why I use the Monte Cook Arcana Evolved, with the 3.5e rogue and MC's bard and Sorcerer.

Speaking of Dungeons and Dragons various editions and consoles who here liked Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the genesis.  Best DnD game on console ever.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun was a fun game. But Order of the Griffon for the Turbo Grafx 16 was the best!

But it is interesting to realize that both games were based on the Basic D&D ruleset. That's right! Not 1e, 2ndEd, or 3.x!

Not to mention that both were based on my favorite DND gameworld.. Mystara. :(

Yep, back in the days not ALL tabletop console/computer RPGs were based on Forgotten Realms.

Boy, that makes me proud. :luck:

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Now we are getting somewhere. At least you acknowledge that much of 3e is not intuitive.

That's what I wrote in the first place. But please, continue to turn a thread about console games into an unending discussion about the merits of 2nd Edition AD&D over 3E.

Unfortunately, *that* topic ran its course by the time *I* hijacked the thread.. lol

image002.gifLancer

I don't see why there can't be dwarven monks or elven monks, but if you don't like that idea then use Rule 0 and not have them in your campaign.  Nothing is stopping you.  Personally I don't like any of the base line classes in the PHB 3.5 except rogue.  That is why I use the Monte Cook Arcana Evolved, with the 3.5e rogue and MC's bard and Sorcerer.

Dwarf monk, gnome bard, halfling paladin what the hell is the the D&D world coming to?

Actually in the Halfling pantheon there are more than 1 god/goddess that is Lawful good to lawful neutral that allows paladins. Yondalla, the chief leader of the Halfling dieities, is revered as a warrior and protecter of hearth and home while Urgalon, the Halfling Death God, despises the undead and evil magics that corrupts, often have paladins part of his clergy order to destroy such abominations.

Of all the demi-human races, halflings have always seemed to be the most likely to have paladins. They tend to be very community-oriented and humble. Urogalan, Yondalla, Cyrrollalee, and Arvoreen all seem to be good deities for paladins to follow. I played a halfling cleric/paladin of Yondalla for a while. He was awesome.

One of my friends played a a Cleric/Paladin of Urgalon. Played him very straight faced, deadly serious, and very tenacious against those who were enemies of his faith. He kept his voice at a very deep monotone. The PCs visited region of planes that never saw a halfling and when he was asked what he was he would go:

"I am a halfling. We are a fun loving happy people." Sounding like Marvin the paranoid android.

I have a thing for elves, drow in particular. As for rule sets goes, I favor AD&D rules since I was brought up on those. Third edition is ok in some areas but it's something I would rather not use. We use AD&D rules with a few modifications to it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.