Intuitive Rules - 2nd Ed. AD&D vs. D&D 3E/3.5

Lancer

Halflings and dwarves are only good for cannon fodder and detecting traps the hard way. :shifty:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Nope, neither it's an oxymoron.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Sigh.

Does anyone of you even understand what "intuitive" means?

Nevermind. my biggest gripe with 2nd edition was the restrictions. Why the heck couldn't a halfling be a paladin? They have individuals of strong faith in their temples for, say, Baervan and using weapons have never been a problem for the periannnath. So what's the ****ing problem?

Same goes for the whole "druids can't use metal weapons"-bull****. Or the priest ethos not allowing for bladed weapons. Helmite paladins wielded zweihanders and half-spears, why not the priests?

My german friend, couse zweihand weapons are for paladins normally, and the cleric is somekind of mix of the warrior and the european monk we know of history.

But anyway: I use even sorcerers with claymore, and you know how? :p

I just take the martial-weapon feat for it, and voil

IB1OsQq.png

Why could a dwarf never find inner peace? (monk) :blink:

They're to obsessed with drinking and gold. Especially gold. Monks are supposed to live in poverty are they not? No dwarf could ever do that willingly.

Why could an elf never rage couse the death of his family? (barbarian) :(

Damn, I can actually justify this one with reason. Barbarian is more than just raging, it's about the culture you were raised in. The elven society is simply too advanced. Elves could still become warriors ruled by anger, but afaik they can still become berserkers can't they? (we are talkin 2E here right?, the multi-classing part below indicates that)

Why could never a halfling, Paladin of Alvoreen ( :ermm: )fight the dark fiends of Hell?

Because they're halfling's. You can't fight pit fiends if you can't reach above their knees. And no, climbing up on their backs doesn't count.

Why could the half-orc, ELF, or gnome never feel the natures call? (druid)

Two of them because they are abominations and nature doesn't want them. The Elf probably has better things to do.

Why could no tiefling resist the blood, and become a priest of Good? :p

Yeah, I'm stumped on this one.

...no drow ranger? (you know, that is too just possible after Drizzt, not before it)

Because Drizzt is an abomination and everything that reminds people of him must be erased from every part of the universe. The sooner he is forgotten, the better.

WHY in Gods name could a human never multiclass? :)

Because humans are idiots that can't keep their minds on two things at once. At least not until they've had sufficient training in both fields. On the other hand, in the long run dual-classing is much more powerful anyway.

Why could a dwarf never find inner peace? (monk) :(

They're to obsessed with drinking and gold. Especially gold. Monks are supposed to live in poverty are they not? No dwarf could ever do that willingly.

Not all of them, they r lawful mainly not chaotic

Why could an elf never rage couse the death of his family? (barbarian) :o

Damn, I can actually justify this one with reason. Barbarian is more than just raging, it's about the culture you were raised in. The elven society is simply too advanced. Elves could still become warriors ruled by anger, but afaik they can still become berserkers can't they? (we are talkin 2E here right?, the multi-classing part below indicates that)

They could be raised in that kind of culture, or just grown up in forest, if someone don't learn correctly to fight, :p

and just uses brute force than he can become barbarian too couse of style (barbarian don't need to be an idiot),

AND elves are mainly chaotic :-"

Why could never a halfling, Paladin of Alvoreen ( :p )fight the dark fiends of Hell?

Because they're halfling's. You can't fight pit fiends if you can't reach above their knees. And no, climbing up on their backs doesn't count.

Size does not matter, if it would no knight would ever try to kill a dragon :p

Why could the half-orc, ELF, or gnome never feel the natures call? (druid)

Two of them because they are abominations and nature doesn't want them. The Elf probably has better things to do.

Hmm...half-orcs could count as abnominations(they don't), but gnomes and elves are children of nature , so its weird not allowing them druid class :o

Why could no tiefling resist the blood, and become a priest of Good? :(

Yeah, I'm stumped on this one.

Good :cool:

...no drow ranger? (you know, that is too just possible after Drizzt, not before it)

Because Drizzt is an abomination and everything that reminds people of him must be erased from every part of the universe. The sooner he is forgotten, the better.

Abnomination??? :blink:

Drizzt? :huh:

Are ya Lolth cultist? :)

He just show anything is possible in RPG, and thats good, no rest. what race has to be good or evil :cool:

WHY in Gods name could a human never multiclass? :ermm:

Because humans are idiots that can't keep their minds on two things at once. At least not until they've had sufficient training in both fields. On the other hand, in the long run dual-classing is much more powerful anyway.

Uhum, but what if human is an aristocrat who losts anything, goes to learn to fight (be a fighter) and to be a soldier in army, then he realises he has inborn magical power, and then he gets sorcerer class?? :p

(and he don't want to level up in the 2 classes the same way, and of course there r prestige classes, what there wasn't in 2nd edition)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

jorian, most of those answers were attempts to be funny. Except the one where I said I was using reason.

As for the concept of restrictions I can see where they're coming from. Some races just don't naturally have some professions. If you come up with a character that should be of a class then talk to your GM about it and if it's a cool character concept, just ignore the rules.

Of course there can be an elf barbarian if something has happened in his background. But the elven society does not have barbarians.

As for gnomes not being an abomination on nature. I've said it before in this thread, all races that are shorter than my leg should be abolished. All of them. That is also why halflings can't be paladins, no one would take them seriously.

:devil:

As for Drizzt... No, I'm not even going to touch that one. Let's just say I'm not a fan of him or his race and leave it at that.

(quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of FR or even D&D, although there are some settings I appreciate).

jorian, most of those answers were attempts to be funny. Except the one where I said I was using reason.

As for the concept of restrictions I can see where they're coming from. Some races just don't naturally have some professions. If you come up with a character that should be of a class then talk to your GM about it and if it's a cool character concept, just ignore the rules.

Of course there can be an elf barbarian if something has happened in his background. But the elven society does not have barbarians.

As for gnomes not being an abomination on nature. I've said it before in this thread, all races that are shorter than my leg should be abolished. All of them. That is also why halflings can't be paladins, no one would take them seriously.

:blink:

As for Drizzt... No, I'm not even going to touch that one. Let's just say I'm not a fan of him or his race and leave it at that.

(quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of FR or even D&D, although there are some settings I appreciate).

OK, thats your view of things,

and I don't wanna change them :wub:

(but remember BG2 where some weirdo tryed to

make fun of a halfling warrior lady, and was kicked real bad :D Oh, and she had this paladin style in her, with two Godblessed weapons :shifty: )

IB1OsQq.png

Now you take a cool character like Liriel, she is better developed. She doesn't slay 1000 orcs at once, dance around with a scimitars slicing everything insight and not suffer a scratch. She may not be her former evil self, but that darkness is still in her and it surfaces once in a while.