My Dad the geek!

alanschu

It wasn't a TRS-80, but a Kaypro II:

I modified a kaypro II which was running at 2.5 mhz and made it a 4 mhz.

The kaypro used a Z80 cpu and ran CPM for an operating system

It had a whopping 64K of Ram.

The 5 1/4 inch floppy drives where 190K each and I swapped them out

and put 790K models in.

I had to modify the operating system to support the new drives.

Those were the good o' days when I had time on my hands.

Both are a pain to do any sort of modifications to. I mean that one Mac that is has a computer and monitor in one. How the hell do you do any sort of significant upgrades? or how about the Mac Mini? The mac Mini is about the size of a Gamecube, if not smaller.

Close enough for government work.

Well, ignoring the fact that it's a multi-purpose machine.

Otherwise, honestly, what's the difference between a PC and a console?

For the record, it is possible to buy video cards and all that jazz for a Mac as well you know :(

My dad doesn't play games anymore, but he was the one that got me playing games on a Spectrum. The whole family used to gather around to watch him play Jumping Jack.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Your dad was probably a bit older when he played with those, but I remember those kind of computers. My parents didn't have any themselves, but friends and schools did. My husband took a lot of those ones from the late 70's/early 80's apart when he was a young teen - it's what got him interested in electronics/computers.

Computers - you've come a long way, baby.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My Dad worked in IBM for 6 years in Johannesburg and was so succesfull he made it to senior management in their South African subsidiary, but then the pricks in the US decided to move business elsewhere so he had to choose between going to work in either London or Riyad, he decided to quit and move all of us back home. Good choice dad :o

My dad doesn't play games anymore, but he was the one that got me playing games on a Spectrum. The whole family used to gather around to watch him play Jumping Jack.

...That's pretty much how it got started with me. He was of the mind to buy a ZX Spectrum and so he did. While I also played, he was the main player in the house. We even tried to buy any and all Spectrum gaming magazines (our favorite was Hobby Consolas, a Spanish magazine that found its way over here and used to carry demos or full games), but as time passed he lost interest and I became the sole gamer in the house. He only cares about racing games mostly. Surprisingly he recently stated he was going to buy a PS2 but hasn't bought one yet... Seems like he's afraid to just let himself go when it comes to gaming, like he thinks its so addicting and time consuming he wouldn't have any time left for anything else. 'Course, he already doesn't have time for anything or anyone else other than himself, so I don't see what his problem is.

Seems like he's afraid to just let himself go when it comes to gaming, like he thinks its so addicting and time consuming he wouldn't have any time left for anything else.

For some people, that's actually true. My husband likes games, but won't play them very often because they're too time-consuming/distracting, and he has an addictive/obsessive personality. If he really got into games, he'd probably live in a battered trailer and have to join Gaming Annoymous, so he doesn't play much. Only to please me once in a while, mostly. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

He uses Macs?  I didn't read that part.

Um...  Well...  LOOK, ITS BATMAN!

*runs and hides*

Macs I remember when I was in school. Our first computers where Macs that used some sort of DOS type software. No GUIs back then.

No GUI on a Mac?

Are you sure you were using a Mac? Or was it an old Apple II?