help us find a game engine

pants_happy

i'm looking for a free 3d game engine, perferably for linux, that is readily useable/alterable for a realtime, or possibly semi-turnbased rpg. it's kind of a broad question, but that's because little mechanics-wise has been set in stone. any links or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially from the almighty devs. thanks in advance. :(

Edited by pants_happy

It shouldn't be too hard to find a good game engine, but to be honest it's always better to develop ones own.

Not necesserily. Developing from scratch means more testing and longer development cycle. If you get an engine, which was around for a while, chances are you will need to debug less code, as well as there possibly will be forums and mailing lists to get help and check on reported bugs.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a good game engine, but to be honest it's always better to develop ones own.

Not necesserily. Developing from scratch means more testing and longer development cycle. If you get an engine, which was around for a while, chances are you will need to debug less code, as well as there possibly will be forums and mailing lists to get help and check on reported bugs.

Please also remember the fact which is... A game is only a ''Game'' when it haev something no other have made... Like if there comes a new form of Game systems you bid it might get super Popular faster then an old used Engine... I think... :wacko:"

Please also remember the fact which is... A game is only a ''Game'' when it haev something no other have made... Like if there comes a new form of Game systems you bid it might get super Popular faster then an old used Engine... I think... :wacko:"

I wish that was true, but game's popularity today depends on marketing, not R&D department.

cool. thanks guys. with the torque engine, it states that you must pay $100 per indie programmer, which will definately weigh in on what engine we choose. i've heard a lot about these two engines before, but surely they can't be the only ones. does anyone else have any recommendations for us to check out before we commit (not to say that we won't end up choosing OGRE or torque)? all help is appreciated.

Edited by pants_happy