Night Watch Demo

Hurlshort

I just downloaded and played this demo through. First off, it's based on the Silent Storm engine, but unlike Hammer and Sickle, they've completely redone the interface to fit an RPG. It's...interesting. I've never heard of this Night Watch universe, although I guess it's some sort of comic world. It seems kinda hokey that I use flashlights and lightbulbs to fight, but there are a couple very cool things in the game.

I actually really enjoyed what they did to the engine. It's much more efficient as an RPG style game now, but the turn based combat and graphics are still awesome. It's worth a try.

http://www.fileplanet.com/159874/150000/fi...ight-Watch-Demo

Interesting. Does it have vampires in it? Is it also made by a russian company?

I recently saw a very odd vampire movie from Russia called Night Watch. Think they're based on the same universe? I think I'll give this one a try anyhow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It has Vampires. It's not quite the Ann Rice version of Vampires though. There's a whole theme of Light versus Dark. Light has a police force that keeps an eye on the Dark called Night Watch, and the Dark has the same thing for their side called the Day Watch. It honestly seems a bit cheesy, but the demo sparked my interest.

I downloaded the Russian demo a while back, but I didn't know what the hell was going on, being that I don't understand a word of Russian. (The Russian S^2 demo was easy)

I'm currently downloading the English version. My modem hates me. It cries itself to sleep at night.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Yeah, I tried out the Vivisector: Beast Within demo the other night (another game Xfire didn't register) and that sucked megaballs too. Not sure if it was made in Russia, but the text was german only. It looked russian :ermm:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The movie is based on novels by Sergei Lukyanenko, and it is not exactly a vampire setting, though it features some.

The idea is there is a secret "mage" underground in today's world with Dark and the Light "sides" (:ermm::(:o), but there is no direct confrontation. Centuries ago both sides agreed on maintaining a balance, because domination of one provokes bloodshed and chaos. So Night Watch is "light side" monitoring "dark side" at night and Day Watch monitors "light side". Vampires must get permits for fresh human blood. The novels rotate about political intrigues, but movie is action and loses most of it and is not that interesting.

I haven't played the game, but those who did mainly complained it is too short and easy.

BTW, It is the first industrial experience like that in Russia, if I didn't miss anyting else.

Ha. I saw it in St. Petersburg, and my Russian's not good enough to keep up with that kind of plotline, so I just liked some of the pretty/freaky visuals.

Edit: If you're looking for a good Russian movie, I recommend Russian Ark. The entire movie is one single shot. Absolutely amazing.

Edited by Commissar

Nochnoi Dozor, fools.  They're making a game based off of it, though?

Russian game developers are usually more miss than hit - I tried out the Stalin Subway demo, by the by, and it sucked - so I wouldn't expect much.

The game is based around the Silent Storm engine, as I said earlier, and Nival seemed to be pretty involved. Out of all the Russian development studios, I'd say Nival and Akella are the only two that really compete with the rest of the world.