Elder Scrolls / Morrowwind

Logan

I was checking out IGN most anticipated games of 2006 and saw that Elder Scrolls IV made every list and usually near the top of the list, which made me wonder if Elder Scrolls III, Morrowwind was any good. (IGN link here)

So tell me what you think? Is it worth getting/playing?

Should I just wait for NWN2 and DA?

Games I've played and enjoyed.

BG1,2 ect, IWD, PST, KOTOR1+2, NWN (yes, the OC sucked)

I usually like to stick to D&D but I'm open to a new fantasy system.

thanks,

I was checking out IGN most anticipated games of 2006 and saw that Elder Scrolls IV made every list and usually near the top of the list, which made me wonder if Elder Scrolls III, Morrowwind was any good. (IGN link here)

Should I just wait for NWN2 and DA?

Games I've played and enjoyed.

BG1,2 ect, IWD, PST, KOTOR1+2, NWN (yes, the OC sucked)

I usually like to stick to D&D but I'm open to a new fantasy system.

thanks,

I suggest you get NWN2, Oblvion and Gothic 3. This year's going to be pretty good for RPGs or atleast better than last year. There was Jade Empire...and well that's pretty much it.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

If you live somewhere where you can rent games, it's worth renting to see if you like it. You either love it for its freedom, beauty, huge variety of sidequests and fascinating setting, or you hate it for its poor combat and dull main story. Personally I liked it, but found it rather brown in places. ;)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

If you like games that are big with a lot of exploring and leveling and gear and spells and a first-person non-party interface and give you a lot of freedom to do what you want when you want then you'll probably like Morrowind.

If you like games with a tightly wired story and colorful NPCS and isometric party-based interfaces then you probably will not like it..

Personal choice really. Base on the games you played and like, I would say no, you won't.

I love MW, but I've been a fan of ES since Arena, so its obviously a style of game that appeals to me. I wish there were more games like it.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It seems people in general on this board have had a poor attitude with regards to Morrowind and Oblivion.

I don't buy that. Oblivion will be the greatest game of all time. There are many reasons for this.

1) These are the guys who made Fallout - or will, anyway. How can they NOT be good?

2) Soil erosion and Patrick Steward are being heavily hyped as the best features in this game. How can a good RPG *NOT* have soil erosion or Patrick Steward.

3) Look at all the previews. If THAT's not promising, nothing is. Let's look at this one. http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox-360/the-elder...n/679364p1.html

"A first-person RPG that takes 50 to 100 hours to complete might be a bit much for some people to swallow." "Oblivion features only spoken dialogue, so you won't have to waste your time with any of that messy "reading" that plagues other RPGs." Awesome features indeed.

4) I think the main problem people had with Morrowind is that the NPCs had perky and existent personalities, as well as actual dialogue. The devs have promised to improve this even more in Oblivion. But I don't want to give just empty promises. Let's look at the FACTS, please.

These are the facts:

E3 2005. Oblivion presentation. Behold the Radiant AI and fleshed-out NPCs.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...l=game&type=mov

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...l=game&type=wmv

Conversation between 2 NPCs, with no player input:

"Nelos, hello!"

"Good to see you, Marus, what news have you heard?"

"The news is bad! Rumor has it there has been an attack on Kebaj. They say the daedra attacked in great numbers!"

"Grave news indeed... Perhaps my axe could be of use..."

"I would imagine so! Goodbye, Nelos, and good luck!

Then the PC talks to Marus:

"Hello. What can this humble bard do for you in these troubling times?"

>>Daedra attack!!!!!

"I wish I knew more about it. Strange gates have appeared, and daedra swarm the Legion soldiers. They say the streets run red with blood, and the daedra will soon overtake the entire city! If you're good with a blade, they could use you there."

QUEST ADDED.

"Gods protect you."

The next dev quote is priceless: "This is a really natural way of doing it. You overhear a conversation, learn a new topic and ask someone about it."

Next, the PC enters a bookstore.

"Oh hello! I was actually just about to lock up the store. Is there something I can help you with?"

>>Chorrol

"If you're looking for books, you're in the right place!!!!"

Then the dev clicks on the 'Joke button' on the interface.

"That's a good one! An Orc in a party dress. I love it! R00FLES!!!"

>>Daedra attack!!!!!

"Everything I've heard is horrible. Creatures coming from magical gates. Whole cities being destroyed. Nations being ruled by necromancy. It's awful!"

AND THE QUOTE OF THE YEAR:

"The whole thing is terrifying, actually. Would you mind staying around for a while? Just to keep me company?"

>>Why would I stay in this dump?

>>I always have time for you.

The dev clicks on option 1 to show off how dynamic and deep the radiant AI is.

"There's no reason to be rude! You can leave now if you want!"

>>I'm only kidding, my Jedi friend.

"Oh, silly me. I should have known you were only teasing. Please, come on upstairs with me."

Now, obviously, footage shown at E3 is meant to impress the player base. After all, the devs wouldn't show us what they think isn't good, because that means it would shy away potential consumers. What better way to ensure sales than to make the best E3 product possible?

And that, my Jedi friends, is exactly why everyone who considers themselves a RPG fan should go out and get Oblivion.

Other gamers agree, since the user rating for that footage is 9.3/10.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I couldn't get the logic behind the "Oblivion will rock, because they are making F3 at the same time"

Speeking by clicking keywords is the worst thing i've ever heard. If they implement the same thing to F3 then i won't buy F3.

centinexx.png

I love both Fallout and Morrowind, so whatever happens to FO3 in terms of design it will probably be my favorite game ever. :)

I'll take two, plz.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'll take a no sale from me. Fallout 3 should be done by Obsidian where most of the former devs to the 1st two games are at now.

Have faith! I'm quite sure Fallowind will be a work of brilliance. And if it falls short of brilliance, well, I'm sure I can find some loose change in the couch to buy it with.

OK, maybe it won't be so great, but I'm at least going to wait and see before I bury it. :)

"Each character in Oblivion has a voice and lip-syncing, the idea being to enhance the immersiveness of each encounter; but conversation trees progress, unlike in games like Knights of the Old Republic, without your answer. In each conversation you have a list of topics from which to choose, but your replies and questions aren't written out. This is a design choice held over from Morrowind."

This is almost as cool as JRPGs' mute protagonist. Yay roleplaying!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"Each character in Oblivion has a voice and lip-syncing, the idea being to enhance the immersiveness of each encounter; but conversation trees progress, unlike in games like Knights of the Old Republic, without your answer. In each conversation you have a list of topics from which to choose, but your replies and questions aren't written out. This is a design choice held over from Morrowind."

RPG OF THE YEAR RIGHT THERE!!!!!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I hope Oblivion and Fallout 3 become the two greatest games in gaming history so that I can laugh at all the nay sayers.

I hope they become that so I have two awesome games to play.... but only if they deserve that title :p

Answer my PM so I don't have to spam this thread!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I couldn't get the logic behind the "Oblivion will rock, because they are making F3 at the same time"

Speeking by clicking keywords is the worst thing i've ever heard. If they implement the same thing to F3 then i won't buy F3.

The fans of the Ultima series (particularly Ultima 7) agree wholeheartedly with you.

Well, I suppose one could argue that just having the topic lets the player fill in in his mind the words that are actually spoken.

You could just as easily criticize a game like Fallout because none of the dialogue options are geared very well to what my character would actually say.

At least if you're looking at it from an RP perspective.

Edited by alanschu