Is time travel possible?

Kaftan Barlast

I can put an end to this right now and say with all certainty time travel *IS* possible.

In an attempt to prove Einstein's special theory of relativity two atomic clocks were synchronised. One was placed on a plane and flown at high speeds, whilst the other was left on the ground.

When the plane landed the atomic clock on board was behind the clock on the ground.

This is empirical proof that time travel is possible.

Furthermore there is the famous experiment observing muon galactic radiation. These particles are noted to travel further, far further than there half-life permits. How? These particles travel close to the speed of light and hence time travel into the future to make the extra distance down to the surface of the Earth.

There are very few serious scientists around that aren't conviced STR is indeed true, given the vast wealth of empirical evidence we now have. Just look at particle accelerators... they have to be kilometers long, where as Newtonian physics say they only have to be a few centermetres.

What you're describing is not time travel. Those are just some of the simpler demonstrations of Special Relativity. In the case of the clocks for example, what happens is that time passed slower for the faster moving clock than for the clock left on the ground. Time travel would be if, for example, time for the clock on the plane had instantly changed from say 12:00 to 16:00 of the same day.

Wrong, one does not need to travel instantaneously to travel. Take moving a distance in 3D space. One does not jump instantly, that would be teleportation.

With time dilation under the effects of STR one travelling close to the speed of light would move forward faster in time and hence time travel into the future.

In fact we are all time travelling into the future now. If we weren't the present would remain the present and there would be no future.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

If time travel is possible how come I've never meet anyone from the future?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I can put an end to this right now and say with all certainty time travel *IS* possible.

In an attempt to prove Einstein's special theory of relativity two atomic clocks were synchronised. One was placed on a plane and flown at high speeds, whilst the other was left on the ground.

When the plane landed the atomic clock on board was behind the clock on the ground.

Furthermore there is the famous experiment observing muon galactic radiation. These particles are noted to travel further, far further than there half-life permits. How? These particles travel close to the speed of light and hence time travel into the future to make the extra distance down to the surface of the Earth.

There are very few serious scientists around that aren't conviced STR is indeed true, given the vast wealth of empirical evidence we now have. Just look at particle accelerators... they have to be kilometers long, where as Newtonian physics say they only have to be a few centermetres.

What you're describing is not time travel. Those are just some of the simpler demonstrations of Special Relativity. In the case of the clocks for example, what happens is that time passed slower for the faster moving clock than for the clock left on the ground. Time travel would be if, for example, time for the clock on the plane had instantly changed from say 12:00 to 16:00 of the same day.

Wrong, one does not need to travel instantaneously to travel. Take moving a distance in 3D space. One does not jump instantly, that would be teleportation.

With time dilation under the effects of STR one travelling close to the speed of light would move forward faster in time and hence time travel into the future.

In fact we are all time travelling into the future now. If we weren't the present would remain the present and there would be no future.

Yes, time moves forward, but for each specific person their time is always moving at the same rate. For an inertial observer time in their own coordinate system always moves at the same rate, hence there is no time travelling

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yes, time moves forward, but for each specific person their time is always moving at the same rate. For an inertial observer time in their own coordinate system always moves at the same rate, hence there is no time travelling

There's no logic to that argument. You're saying because somebody's internal clock looks the same to them no matter what speed they're travelling at time travel isn't possible. Nonsense.

There's hard evidence that if you travel fast enough you can move to a point with less ticks than if you were stationary - else the muon detection experiment I mentioned wouldn't be possible.

We have observed time travelling particles and you're arguing time travel isn't possible.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Funny. Most of the arguments presented here (save for those based on actual science) have the same weight as me tossing a coin. Let's do it.

Oops. The coin says time travel isn't possible. Stupid coin... <_<

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle doesn't like time travel, however. I don't think linear time travel is possible, as it's obvious that our notions of "past" and "future" are to time what an isometric projection is to a 3D figure, to put it somehow. And no, time dilation derived from relativistic speeds is not what most people would consider time travel.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's called a paradox. To us it appears that the muons travelled through time at faster than light speeds, but what happens that time slows down for the muons giving the illusion of travelling through time.

Heja Sverige!!

THe secret is in the word appears. It appears to be a paradox but Special Relativity solves that paradox.

Heja Sverige!!

You're contradicting yourself. First you say it's a paradox and that time travel is an illusion. Then you say it only appears to be a paradox and that STR is indeed right.

What you're saying is that the muons are "living" longer than they should, hence they're time travelling. But what is actually happening is that time is moving slower for the muons than for us, thus appearing to us as having longer half-lives.

Heja Sverige!!

Can you not see how this time dilation can be exploited to travel faster into the future?

The muon particles see the Lorentz contraction and hence manage to travel a shorter distance to get to the same point. When slowing down this distance expands and those particles have now found themselves in the future.

I hope time travel isn't possible. I don't want someone going back in time and causing me to blink out of existance. If time travel turns out to be possible, we must hope that any civilisation smart enough to create it is also smart enough not to use it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Can you not see how this time dilation can be exploited to travel faster into the future?

The muon particles see the Lorentz contraction and hence manage to travel a shorter distance to get to the same point. When slowing down this distance expands and those particles have now found themselves in the future.

You're missing the whole point of Special Relativity! The particles always travel the same distance.

s^2=x^2+y^2+z^2-c^2t^2 This is invariant according to Special Relativity

P.S.: Sorry about the notation. Go here

to see it written properly.

Heja Sverige!!

Titor was a fraud as the planet recently proved

Time Travel could only be possible through parralel universes, do you understand what **** could go down If I went back in time, killed my mum, which in turn made me ceace to exist, which in turn made my son ceace to exist, who would turn out to be the president who saved the world (hypothetical, I have no son btw) that would really root everything

p.s. irt above: you hurt my brain

That has to be the lamest story ever. EVER. E.V.E.R.

Or can someone think of a worse story..?

Let's call it, Fallout 5: The Chosen One Must Choose, but with a TWIST!

Let's give a second subtitle!

Fallout 5: The Chosen One Must Choose: The Brotherhood of FREAKING HERVE CAEN YOU FREAKING MORON: A Post Nuclear 3D FPS Live Action Role Playing Game.

And let's give it space sim elements.

And you can pilot a big robot!

And you can dual rockets launchers!

BETTER YET! You can dual-wield robots which are dual-wielding rocket launchers!!!!

And combat will be in FPS mode, but with a twist! It'll have fighter game elements too! Like Dungeon Lords, the ultimate combat RPG of 2004.

This will be grreat!!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't think it's possible, but it fascinates me that we are able to slow down time by simply accelerating and reaching higher velocities.. what consequences that will have on us (on extreme speeds) is a bit abstract for me, although the immediate benefits are obvious!

Wormholes however I find possible .. by bending space with gravity, this could be considered time travel I guess, since it would mean you have to bend spacetime as well.. although it "just" cutting shortcuts through time and space ..

You don't "slow down" time. Time and space are related. The consequences of acheiving higher velocities would likely be that, to an outside observer (but not to yourself) you'd appear to live longer.

As to whether or not it is possible.....I'd say it's not possible because we'd likely have met someone from the future otherwise.

Edited by alanschu

As to whether or not it is possible.....I'd say it's not possible because we'd likely have met someone from the future otherwise.

Who says you haven't. A proper time traveler would know which period he or she would go to and dress and act properly for that period of history he or she is visiting. We could be living in an alternate time line as we speak where the original time line 60 million people died in the Nazi death camps where a time traveler went back in time and change history that only 6 million people met their end at the death camps instead.

Who says you haven't. A proper time traveler would know which period he or she would go to and dress and act properly for that period of history he or she is visiting. We could be living in an alternate time line as we speak where the original time line 60 million people died in the Nazi death camps where a time traveler went back in time and change history that only 6 million people met their end at the death camps instead.

Because if travelling back in time was possible, you'd have virutally an infinite amount of time in the future (given the few billion or so years until the Sun starts doing its thing). The probability of just one person coming back with substantial proof that they are from the future is basically the limit of x, as x approaches 1.

You wouldn't be getting just 1 or 2 people coming back in time.