Is time travel possible?

Kaftan Barlast

Do you believe it is possible to travel in time? What is time to you? How do you think your time travel would work?

For me, I say its impossible. Ill post my theory.

Time is change and change is not constant. Our own invention the watch has led us to believe that time is something constant and precise, but this is false. A radioactive isotope will degrade faster or slower depending on the outer circumstances, thus time can be said to go faster or slower depending on outer circumstances. Of course, the rate of change is minimal, fractions of milliseconds or less.

and

The speed of light is not the ultimate speed where you reach your destination at the same precise moment you leave. Lots of time travel idea are based in the notion that if you go faster than lightspeed/the utimate speed, you will go back in time since basicly youll arrive before you started. This is complete nonsense not only because you cannot reach the ultimate speed, but because if you did, you would simply stay at that level because you cant reach point B before you have started from point A

but mostly

Time is change and change cannot be undone. You have an apple, you leave it out in the sun. It rots. Time/change has worked(along with bacteria etc.) to rot the apple. If you put the apple in the magic mystery machine and turned it back into a green fresh apple,the apple hasnt traveled in time, it has simply been restored. Like a burned out building being carefully rebuilt.

end point:

You cannot travel in time because time itself is an abstract way which we use to measure change.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.

Delmore Schwartz

What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know.

Saint Augustine

I don't think it's possible, but it fascinates me that we are able to slow down time by simply accelerating and reaching higher velocities.. what consequences that will have on us (on extreme speeds) is a bit abstract for me, although the immediate benefits are obvious!

Wormholes however I find possible .. by bending space with gravity, this could be considered time travel I guess, since it would mean you have to bend spacetime as well.. although it "just" cutting shortcuts through time and space ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Do you believe it is possible to travel in time? What is time to you? How do you think your time travel would work?

For me, I say its impossible. Ill post my theory.

Time is change and change is not constant. Our own invention the watch has led us to believe that time is something constant and precise, but this is false. A radioactive isotope will degrade faster or slower depending on the outer circumstances, thus time can be said to go faster or slower depending on outer circumstances. Of course, the rate of change is minimal, fractions of milliseconds or less.

and

The speed of light is not the ultimate speed where you reach your destination at the same precise moment you leave. Lots of time travel idea are based in the notion that if you go faster than lightspeed/the utimate speed, you will go back in time since basicly youll arrive before you started. This is complete nonsense not only because you cannot reach the ultimate speed, but because if you did, you would simply stay at that level because you cant reach point B before you have started from point A

but mostly

Time is change and change cannot be undone. You have an apple, you leave it out in the sun. It rots. Time/change has worked(along with bacteria etc.) to rot the apple. If you put the apple in the magic mystery machine and turned it back into a green fresh apple,the apple hasnt traveled in time, it has simply been restored. Like a burned out building being carefully rebuilt.

end point:

You cannot travel in time because time itself is an abstract way which we use to measure change.

If you define time as change, you will have to define change.

The only definition of change I can think of is this: Change is what happens to a certain object over time. But, this definition of change makes your definition of time circular, and as such meaningless. And if so, your whole argument against time travel

loses its basis.

Edited by Soulseeker

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't think it's possible, but it fascinates me that we are able to slow down time by simply accelerating and reaching higher velocities.. what consequences that will have on us (on extreme speeds) is a bit abstract for me, although the immediate benefits are obvious!

Wormholes however I find possible .. by bending space with gravity, this could be considered time travel I guess, since it would mean you have to bend spacetime as well.. although it "just" cutting shortcuts through time and space ..

Actually, I think that to pass through a wormhole you have to, theoretically, pass the speed of light. So going through the wormhole is technically the same thing as what Kaftan is talking about.

Heja Sverige!!

Is time travel possible?

No.

I have no fancy theories as to why not...just....no.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Time-travelling lizards in NWN proved that anything is possible.

The PROOF is here. Llyranor has made it clear!

That has to be the lamest story ever. EVER. E.V.E.R.

Or can someone think of a worse story..?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The way I see if, if its possible to travel forward in time, return, and travel to the same point in the future, then that proves the existance of god. Because if there aren't multiple futures, then it means everything is predetermined.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

flux capacitator

>_<

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The way I see if, if its possible to travel forward in time, return, and travel to the same point in the future, then that proves the existance of god.

In no such way does it prove the existence of god. <_<

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

If you define time as change, you will have to define change.

The only definition of change I can think of is this: Change is what happens to a certain object over time. But, this definition of change makes your definition of time circular, and as such meaningless. And if so, your whole argument against time travel

loses its basis.

Noun: change  cheynj

1. An event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another

Or simply "the alteration of an object or situation". Like when the sun rises or when an egg boils or when a star smashes yet another helium and hydrogen atom together in fusion.

To make the world easier for us we have constructed a way to measure and keep track of change through the use of a timeline. That line has given us the idea that if we were to "travel" to a point behind us or in front of us on that timeline, we would experience things in the state that they were/are at that point on the timeline. We cant do that. We can speed/slow change but we cant use that to travel along our abstract timeline.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Noun: change  cheynj

1. An event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another

Or simply "the alteration of an object or situation". Like when the sun rises or when an egg boils or when a star smashes yet another helium and hydrogen atom together in fusion.

But if you speak about alteration or an event occuring you're already speaking about time, only implicitly. You are already saying that an object was first in state n

Heja Sverige!!

Actually, I think that to pass through a wormhole you have to, theoretically, pass the speed of light. So going through the wormhole is technically the same thing as what Kaftan is talking about.

the beauty of it is that you don't .. modern physics allows (on a theoritical level of course) the bending of time and timespace, which means you don't accelerate to enormous velocoties.. you simply form the universe to allow you to go from one point to another..

the big problem however is, since occupy timespace we are affected by gravity as well, which could quite possibly twist us in ways we would rather not imagine.. :ph34r:

Fortune favors the bald.

the beauty of it is that you don't .. modern physics allows (on a theoritical level of course) the bending of time and timespace, which means you don't accelerate to enormous velocoties.. you simply form the universe to allow you to go from one point to another..

the big problem however is, since occupy timespace we are affected by gravity as well, which could quite possibly twist us in ways we would rather not imagine.. :ph34r:

But you do. When you're going through a wormhole you're passing through a singularity which is a point in space-time with infinite curvature. And this curvature makes you accelerate up to ungodly speeds. In fact you'll be destroyed before getting to the singularity.

Heja Sverige!!

I can put an end to this right now and say with all certainty time travel *IS* possible.

In an attempt to prove Einstein's special theory of relativity two atomic clocks were synchronised. One was placed on a plane and flown at high speeds, whilst the other was left on the ground.

When the plane landed the atomic clock on board was behind the clock on the ground.

This is empirical proof that time travel is possible.

Furthermore there is the famous experiment observing muon galactic radiation. These particles are noted to travel further, far further than there half-life permits. How? These particles travel close to the speed of light and hence time travel into the future to make the extra distance down to the surface of the Earth.

There are very few serious scientists around that aren't conviced STR is indeed true, given the vast wealth of empirical evidence we now have. Just look at particle accelerators... they have to be kilometers long, where as Newtonian physics say they only have to be a few centermetres.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

No, Moose. All that prooves is that time/change is not constant but is affected by exterior conditions (like gravity). That "time" can go faster or slower depending on circumstance doesnt mean you can timetravel.

Theoreticly, you could go up in a spaceship, swoosh around and then come bad and find that youve only aged 1 day when everyone else has aged 2 days. But that isnt time travel.

I haven't been to highschool, let alone college, so I'm amazed I've managed to follow this conversation at all. ;) All I know is that it's impossible to say we know anything for a fact. It was once proven fact that the Earth was flat, and it was also proven fact that flight was impossible for humans. After all, facts are determined as such by how people percieve evidence. What seems fullproof at the time may look ridiculous in retrospect. Is timetravel possible? I suppose it depends on your interpretation of time.

sig2.gif

I can put an end to this right now and say with all certainty time travel *IS* possible.

In an attempt to prove Einstein's special theory of relativity two atomic clocks were synchronised. One was placed on a plane and flown at high speeds, whilst the other was left on the ground.

When the plane landed the atomic clock on board was behind the clock on the ground.

This is empirical proof that time travel is possible.

Furthermore there is the famous experiment observing muon galactic radiation. These particles are noted to travel further, far further than there half-life permits. How? These particles travel close to the speed of light and hence time travel into the future to make the extra distance down to the surface of the Earth.

There are very few serious scientists around that aren't conviced STR is indeed true, given the vast wealth of empirical evidence we now have. Just look at particle accelerators... they have to be kilometers long, where as Newtonian physics say they only have to be a few centermetres.

What you're describing is not time travel. Those are just some of the simpler demonstrations of Special Relativity. In the case of the clocks for example, what happens is that time passed slower for the faster moving clock than for the clock left on the ground. Time travel would be if, for example, time for the clock on the plane had instantly changed from say 12:00 to 16:00 of the same day.

Edited by Soulseeker

Heja Sverige!!

Yes.

How enlightening. ;)

Heja Sverige!!