NWN2 Interview @ RPGDot

Dhruin

RPGDot:

Previews have indicated you will include an Influence system along the lines of

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. How have you refined the concept and

can you provide some examples of how Influence will work in NWN2?

MCA:

We've made the influence system more widespread than in Star Wars: Knights of the

Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, but the fundamental mechanic is a little different

- while you cannot corrupt others like you could in the KotorII, your decisions whether

alignment-based, goal-based, or even favoring one companion over another can cause some

companions to open up to you more, while others close themselves off to you.

sounds really good.

Darren Monahan: Yes, the story is divided into separate Acts, but I'd liken it more to Baldur's Gate II, where you could complete some quests in chapter 2 or chapter 6 depending on when you wanted to do them. We've also added an overland map (and overland map editor for the community) which allows for easier travel between the various hubs within the game (as well as you guessed it, random encounters!)

Great! Really great.

centinexx.png

I suddenly lost any kind of interest I might have had in this game :'(

I must unfortunately report, however, that there is no sewer tileset planned for NWN2. I know RPG's can't be RPG's without rats in sewers with crates to break open, but NWN2 isn't going there. :wacko:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Can I get another "Hell yeah!"?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes, you can:

Hell yeah!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh, and thanks Dhruin.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

No sewers?

Well... crap. (get it? sewers? crap? HAHAHAHAHA!)

Out of the whole Mountains/Forests/Caves/Sewers/Plains/City/Wilderness thing, though, Sewers is easily my least favourite place to go adventuring, so I'm not all that sad about not being able to putter around in places like that. A loss? eh... I suppose, if only because cRPGs usually have sewers. *shrugs*

But hopefully they've seen the error of their ways and are going with barrels to break open, instead of crates. Barrels, people... you just can't do better than a good barrel.

Still going with a noticeable hub system, though? That's a little disappointing. Hope it's at least disguised relatively well... not a fan of hubs as a means of game world or story design. BG1 could be considered hub-like, but it didn't feel like it to me. World of difference between a BG1 -style hub and a NWN1 style of hub. World map is, at the very least, a step in the right direction.

This was easily the most informative interview Ive read this far. Good job. The more I read about NWN2 the more Im convinced that it will be a truly great game.

As a firm opponent of restrictive alignments/nature&demeanor/whatever I found this very interesting

NWN2's alignment changes are a part of the system. In NWN2, alignment is no longer something you choose at character generation - it's something you earn through the things you do and say. Your character gravitates toward law or chaos, good or evil based on these choices. Our influence system ties heavily into this and your companions will react to how you present yourself in the game.

I still dont like labeling a character "lawful neutral" and so on, but its a big improvement to have that label be a result of your actions.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Christ, people. Settle down. It's one thing to promise all this stuff....it's another one to actually come through on most of it.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Including the foresty kind

kirottu said:

We wanted to create the next best RPG for 2006

A real shame, really. Everyone knows Oblivion will already win the title by default, because it's so awesome. Super action combat system! Soil erosion! Patrick Steward! Radiant AI! NPCs with perky personalities and real dialogue!

Let's get some preview quotes, people!

"Oblivion features only spoken dialogue, so you won't have to waste your time with any of that messy "reading" that plagues other RPGs."

"A first-person RPG that takes 50 to 100 hours to complete might be a bit much for some people to swallow."

Outstanding, people!!! GOTY!!!

They might as well just give the award to Oblivion already.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I am really starting to loathe Oblivion. ^_^

kirottu said:

Orgasmic bliss withdrawals FTW?

kirottu said:

I suddenly lost any kind of interest I might have had in this game  :'(

I must unfortunately report, however, that there is no sewer tileset planned for NWN2. I know RPG's can't be RPG's without rats in sewers with crates to break open, but NWN2 isn't going there. :)

Just as long as there are crates I don

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson