IGN reports KOTOR III in development

scharnhorst

Saw this on IGN this morning and I am curious if it is true or if they are misinformed.

"LucasArts' recent silence by no means equals inactivity. On the contrary, Knights of the Old Republic 3, in development with Obsidian Development, is in the early stages of creation for a late 2006 -- most likely a 2007 -- release. The game should feature more seamless interaction between NPCs and the lead character, as well as better, more economic interactions between party members. We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2), and RPG fans will be able to enjoy more distinct shades of gray recognized by characters instead of the black and white distinctions made in the first two iterations of the series." link:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680220p1.html

If it's already in development that means it's PNJ, in which case I will be pissed as thus far it sounds console exclusive. That means I'll either have to buy a 360, or not play it.

Lame.

Really though Sur is right. I just needed to get that out.

PISSED Obsidian! You getting that?

We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2)

Ugh...that better not be the case. Why would you discard the pause option? If you want real-time, just don't hit pause. It doesn't matter though, I'm doubting the credibility of this story completely.

From the story I gather that they know it is in early development but that they are "predicting" that it would be real time and have more developed party interaction. If you read the whole article it appears that they draw on scant facts to base their perdictions, hence the reason for me thinking their might be some validity to it.

Sorry about posting it in the wrong forum.

I think it's more "HAHAHA WE R TEH IGN AND WE CAN MAKE REVIEWS BASED ON ENOUGH INFORMATION THAT MAKES THE US INTELLIGENCE FOR IRAQ BEFORE THE WAR LOOK GOOD WITH JUST ENOUGH CREDIBILITY TO TRICK THE STUPID FANBOIS INTO THINKING WE'RE LEGIT! MAY GOD ETERNALLY BLESS MCDONALD'S AND BANNER ADS! ALSO FOX NEWS OUR NEW MASTERS!"

Actually, that's eerily similar to most modern news media. Journalism standards have really slipped. Geez.

Also, what the hell!

This is the second newbie who was courteous and apologetic when they screwed up due to ignorance rather than flying off the handle in a torrent of jackassery and 'Well at least I have a life.'

In the span of one week no less!

I think I've passed into an alternate reality. :devil:

Edited by Child of Flame

If it's already in development that means it's PNJ, in which case I will be pissed as thus far it sounds console exclusive.  That means I'll either have to buy a 360, or not play it. 

Lame. 

Really though Sur is right.  I just needed to get that out. 

PISSED Obsidian!  You getting that?

If this is the case, I won't be buying any OE game ever again.

It's not PNJ. I think a dev already stated PNJ is obsidian's IP.

Brian Lawson is checking out the thread. Is that a sign?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You slew? I came up with the Chuck Norris song.

First off newbie we don't need more KotOR 3 threads. We don't need them nor do we want them. Go to Lucas Arts if you want to post about KotoR 3. Secondly unless we get word from Lucas Arts and its de veloper that they are announcing KotOR 3 officially then this is just speculation and speculating about this crap is stupid. Don't be stupid. Thirdly PNJ has already been confirmed that it is not sequel, that is is console only, and if KotOR 3 was to be done by Obsidian they would use the NWN 2 engine and not the Unreal engine.

If you are going to spam this forum with KotOR 3 then go away. Go to the LA forums for that crap.

Edited by Judge Hades

From what I recall, PNJ is not an original IP, but an original take on an existing IP.

As for dev presence, I would have interest in the future of a project on which I worked. Its only natural.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2)

First they called it turnbased, now it's partially realtime. Again I'm reminded why I never went to their website again.

I really wish Obs would do KOTOR3, because I'd rather they do worn-out sequels to overused franchises with an awesome publisher like Lucasarts than actually flesh out original intellectual properties.

KOTOR3, rawr.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

From what I recall, PNJ is not an original IP, but an original take on an existing IP.

As for dev presence, I would have interest in the future of a project on which I worked. Its only natural.

The devs are circling. :ph34r:

If the rumour's true, they're worrying whether having it on their forums is violating their non-disclosure agreement with LucasArts who, one suspects, think of the Obs forums as a nest of vipers ripe for extermination.

If the rumour's false, they're wondering whether they should deny it for like the fifteenth time already, and whether that would just lend more credibility to the rumour, as in 'The devs denied it, so it must be true!!! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) '.

I hope it's true.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)