Crap, Imma have to change my username again!

Child of Flame

The post I quoted was rude and insulting, period. I've never done anything to you to deserve it... except to refuse to give you my pen name, address, and other personal information when you have repeatedly asked for it. I do not give out that information for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I do not want people on the internet writing my publisher to insult my writing abilities, or mocking my work by posting out-of-context narrative to ridicule, or any of a thousand other harassments that could adversely affect my professional reputation and career.

You seem to think that if I share information about my general business, which is writing and publishing novels, then I am duty-bound to fling open my entire professional resume to anyone who wishes to see it. Or at least to you personally, upon your demand.

I replied to your PM politely, as I have replied to many other such requests for personal information about me. I simply didn't give you what you wanted. At this point, words cannot express how grateful I am that I didn't. You've got some gall, young sir.

You don't like me offering insight and/or information about my professional knowledge when the topic comes up? Tough. You're sulking because I won't give you my name, address, phone number, the pen names under which I write, the titles of all my 32 novels, my publisher's name and address, my editor's name and address and my agent's name and address? Double tough.

Surely you didn't think you could insult me, call me paranoid and have me smile happily while squeaking, "Thank you, sir, may I have another?" Since I annoy you so much, and you certainly annoy me now, I recommend we simply ignore each other. And I would not suggest you continue your efforts to find out where I live. Thanks.

The post I quoted was rude and insulting, period.  I've never done anything to you to deserve it... except to refuse to give you my pen name, address, and other personal information when you have repeatedly asked for it.  I do not give out that information for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I do not want people on the internet writing my publisher to insult my writing abilities, or mocking my work by posting out-of-context narrative to ridicule, or any of a thousand other harassments that could adversely affect my professional reputation and career. 

You seem to think that if I share information about my general business, which is writing and publishing novels, then I am duty-bound to fling open my entire professional resume to anyone who wishes to see it.  Or at least to you personally, upon your demand.

I replied to your PM politely, as I have replied to many other such requests for personal information about me.  I simply didn't give you what you wanted.  At this point, words cannot express how grateful I am that I didn't.  You've got some gall, young sir.

You don't like me offering insight and/or information about my professional knowledge when the topic comes up?  Tough.  You're sulking because I won't give you my name, address, phone number, the pen names under which I write, the titles of all my 32 novels, my publisher's name and address, my editor's name and address and my agent's name and address?  Double tough.

Surely you didn't think you could insult me, call me paranoid and have me smile happily while squeaking, "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"  Since I annoy you so much, and you certainly annoy me now, I recommend we simply ignore each other.  And I would not suggest you continue your efforts to find out where I live.  Thanks.

I respect your right to privacy and have never 'made efforts to find out where you live'. Myself I'm kind of insulted you think I'd try and screw up you career because I disagree with a book you've written by bothering your publisher.

Sure I have gall, and I speak my mind, too frequently. But I don't go out of my way to harm others, and I do my best to even help others out when I can. You don't annoy me, anecdotal evidence without facts does, in all sorts of situations. I understand you're concerned about your privacy, I think it's silly, 'specially from lil ol' me, and especially if you write under a pen name. That was all in my opinion, based on how I feel. I can't speak for your motives but I wasn't trying to be insulting.

It saddens me that I've put you in such a sour mood and been relegated to 'annoyance' as your posts are overall enjoyable to read, but dang Di, I'm still not sure how I managed to raise so much ire.

Like I said, my apologies.

Am I the only one who thinks ~Di is being a bit too paranoid about this?

Hell, as an aspiring writer (Don't you love when people say that?), I'd like some insight from someone I've met and spoken to on 'teh internets' who's been published, repeatedly, and knows what in blazes they're talking about. I know damn well I would love to read your works, were I interested in the genre (or just because I love reading), and give feedback were it asked of me. Sorry, but I like to read...and from what I've seen in my lurking, you've a talent for clearly expressing yourself in posts.

So what's the problem? Why not tell people when they ask...surely you can trust some people here as they've proven the inherent goodness of their character in the past (Not without the occasional rough edge...but goodness nonetheless). Immediately assuming everybody is out to get you isn't good, and not being willing to accept the bad with the good when it comes to people's opinions on your work severely limits you...how can you fix what you don't know is broken?

Granted, you've most likely got your reasons (Negative past experiences) but I'd still like to know; why not?

Were I in your position, ~Di, I'd be much more willing to share my work with people here...if only to see what they thought of it and possibly recieve some serious, helpful critique. The sense of community here, regardless of Child's temerity, is strong enough that I'd consider not doing so to be an insult to them...

Sorry...just my two cents...and quite possibly my longest post here. Resume discourse.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Well of course she doesn't have to do it, but it would be a nice gesture...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Am I the only one who thinks ~Di is being a bit too paranoid about this?

There was this one moderator in Black Isle boards called "Lady of Pain". He currenly resides in missy

- Everlast

This is... unbelievable. I am being discussed as if I'm some piece of meat on an auction block, my motives being dissected by people whom I do not know and who do not know me, and I'm being called basically selfish for not supplying a bunch of strangers on the internet complete access to my professional life. All this in a thread that I did not even participate in until my name was brought up and I was insulted by someone to whom I have previously never said an unkind word.

To say I was angry, hurt and stunned is an understatement. Now, it seems, I have some kind of duty to everyone else on this net to provide personal details of myself that none of them would consider doing were the situation reversed.

Tell you what, LoneWolf16, you give us all your RL name, your home address, the address of your employer (along with the name of your supervisor... we can get all the phone numbers from the web... in my case, the moment one of my pen names is known, all the rest of that down to the names of my children and pets can be instantly Googled!), then post examples of your work so we can critique it, okay? Yes, yes, we know that's how you make your living and there may be a few crackpots who will call your supervisor and insist you smock crack in the company boiler room, but it would be selfish of you not to share your professional knowledge with all of us.

Sound idiotic? Of course it is. But in a nutshell it is what you expect me to do. (kirottu, bless you for trying to understand)

Writing is not my hobby, it is how I made my entire living for more than 15 years. If you do not think that your employer and employment details should be made public on an internet forum, then you might consider I feel exactly the same way.

As far as sharing my knowledge about the profession, there are several people over the years with whom I have shared a great deal of advice and discussion... in private message... and without giving them personal information about myself. I thought that answering professional questions over the years, both in numerous PM's and in threads about the craft and business of writing, I was being generous with my knowledge. I had hoped, at least, that it would be of help to some, which is why I have spent the time to do so. I did not, however, believe that I should have to post personal information about myself in order to be "generous." Surely none of you would post what has been asked of me, details of your name, address, employer, etc., for public consumption and critique.

I still do not think I have done anything on this forum that would warrant suddenly having a spotlight foisted upon me, being called paranoid, selfish, etc., and being reminded yet again that someone who lives close to me would like to start pounding on doors until I am located. (I'm sure, CoF, you think all this "I want to find out where you live" stuff that you periodically post is quite amusing, but frankly to me it is getting extremely creepy.)

I am quite hurt by much of what has been written in this thread, frankly, and hope this thread either returns to the original topic or dies a needed death.

Edited by ~Di

I agree with what ~Di has said. In no way has she deserved this inquisition. I believe that ~Di deserves the right of anonymity, much like we all do. She has done nothing to warrant this. Frankly, I'm quite disappointed in some around here.

May a mod please lock this. This conversation is over.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This is... unbelievable.  I am being discussed as if I'm some piece of meat on an auction block, my motives being dissected by people whom I do not know and who do not know me, and I'm being called basically selfish for not supplying a bunch of strangers on the internet complete access to my professional life.  All this in a thread that I did not even participate in until my name was brought up and I was insulted by someone to whom I have previously never said an unkind word. 

To say I was angry, hurt and stunned is an understatement.  Now, it seems, I have some kind of duty to everyone else on this net to provide personal details of myself that none of them would consider doing were the situation reversed.

Tell you what, LoneWolf16, you give us all your RL name, your home address, the address of your employer (along with the name of your supervisor... we can get all the phone numbers from the web... in my case, the moment one of my pen names is known, all the rest of that down to the names of my children and pets can be instantly Googled!), then post examples of your work so we can critique it, okay?  Yes, yes, we know that's how you make your living and there may be a few crackpots who will call your supervisor and insist you smock crack in the company boiler room, but it would be selfish of you not to share your professional knowledge with all of us.

Sound idiotic?  Of course it is.  But in a nutshell it is what you expect me to do.  (kirottu, bless you for trying to understand)

Writing is not my hobby, it is how I made my entire living for more than 15 years.  If you do not think that your employer and employment details should be made public on an internet forum, then you might consider I feel exactly the same way.

As far as sharing my knowledge about the profession, there are several people over the years with whom I have shared a great deal of advice and discussion... in private message... and without giving them personal information about myself.  I thought that answering professional questions over the years, both in numerous PM's and in threads about the craft and business of writing, I was being generous with my knowledge.  I had hoped, at least, that it would be of help to some, which is why I have spent the time to do so.  I did not, however, believe that I should have to post personal information about myself in order to be "generous."  Surely none of you would post what has been asked of me, details of your name, address, employer, etc., for public consumption and critique.

I still do not think I have done anything on this forum that would warrant suddenly having a spotlight foisted upon me, being called paranoid, selfish, etc., and being reminded yet again that someone who lives close to me would like to start pounding on doors until I am located.  (I'm sure, CoF, you think all this "I want to find out where you live" stuff that you periodically post is quite amusing, but frankly to me it is getting extremely creepy.)

I am quite hurt by much of what has been written in this thread, frankly, and hope this thread either returns to the original topic or dies a needed death.

Name's Cameron James Bell, seventeen years of age. I live in Cedar Lake, Indiana. I don't have an employer, since I don't work, and supplying my address is just silly. Nobody's asking you to do that. And here's a link to the pitiful excuse for writing I've done in the past few years.

I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you...I just try to understand people's motives...it's a failing, I know. :blink: Didn't mean to cause any harm, I just didn't really understand it...

I could care less where you live, or how you live. I don't care who your publisher is. I don't care what your actual name is. Not that I could care less or anything, it just isn't important to me...though that sounds a bit mean. I'm just interested in books is all... :(

My sincerest apologies, ma'am. I'll think more before I post next time...

- Everlast

Ahem... :">

- Everlast

Well I am not certain how this thread turned so potentially objectionable, but I think before it possibly escalates I will close it down. Please do try to respect that there are REAL people who post - not simply the anonymous. We are all both fragile and tenacious beings that deserve to be treated without assumption or impostition, but rather with the care and respect with which we would hope others would for us.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: