My Issues with KOTOR II

Hi All,

I'm now about half way through KOTOR II, I'm enjoying it (storyline & Characters), but there are so many things wrong with this game it ain't funny no more.

- Countless bugs. Conversations which don't work well, cutscenes which are played without sound, or not played at all. At one point I had to backtrack a saved game (at the jedi enclave on Telos) because somehow the entire cutscene with you arriving and speaking with Attris is not played when you select a certain conversation topic with the handmaidens.

- Difficulty is non-existent. As I am now a jedi watchman combat is not a challenge anymore. I bassicaly sit there pressing force push (the 3rd one) and force lightning and watch all my enemies die. Whats the use of tons and tons of equipment, armor, boosts and crafting options etc. There is no point to them, because well you don't need them - so why bother.

- Another example. Why is that Sith girl - (whatshername with the scarf over her eyes) an uber light character when I look her up on the char screen? That doesn't make much sense now does it? - It's just another one of those things which I can only assume is a bug- or overlooked by the developers.

Sigh... sorry about the rant, no doubt this forum is filled with simular complaints from this sort. It's just sad that a game which is so well developed from a storyline, length and dialogue point of view is so terribly put to waste on the other things I mentioned.

Mtfbwy,

Shappy1010

Hehe, yes most here have noticed the flaws that was in KotOR 2, but probably would have been handled if Obsidian had not been ordered to release the game early. :p

Think it is better to place a post like this in an already excisting thread, since it is not the first.

"but probably would have been handled if Obsidian had not been ordered to release the game early. "

No. This is blatantly false. KOTOR2 was always scheduled for a Christmas release. Then it temporarily got mvoed to a February release and then back again (xbox version).

Also, even if they were given more time, the game would still be easy, Kreia would still be overrated (though an ok character), and other flaws would still be there.

KOTOR2's weaknesses come frompoor planning. Obsidian has even admitted to this and have committed to steps to make sure the chance sof this happening again is much less with the hiring of a QA team as well as (hopefully) making sure their plans aren't beyond their reach consideirng the amount of time they AGREE to.

People should stop blaming publishers for errors made by the developer.

Publishers are such an easy target to paint them as The Big Bad Evil Villain picking on the Poor Little Tool Developer tm.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

- Another example. Why is that Sith girl - (whatshername with the scarf over her eyes) an uber light character when I look her up on the char screen? That doesn't make much sense now does it? - It's just another one of those things which I can only assume is a bug- or overlooked by the developers.

It depends on your influence with her. Influence changes the characters' alignment depending on your influence with them.

"but probably would have been handled if Obsidian had not been ordered to release the game early. "

No. This is blatantly false. KOTOR2 was always scheduled for a Christmas release. Then it temporarily got mvoed to a February release and then back again (xbox version).

Also, even if they were given more time, the game would still be easy, Kreia would still be overrated (though an ok character), and other flaws would still be there.

KOTOR2's weaknesses come frompoor planning. Obsidian has even admitted to this and have committed to steps to make sure the chance sof this happening again is much less with the hiring of a QA team as well as (hopefully) making sure their plans aren't beyond their reach consideirng the amount of time they AGREE to.

People should stop blaming publishers for errors made by the developer.

Publishers are such an easy target to paint them as The Big Bad Evil Villain picking on the Poor Little Tool Developer tm.

Nope, not true...

As you can read in quite a few quotes from Mike Gallo, the game was supposed to come out in February. There was never any word about a cristmas release, only a very imprecise "winter 2005" in the early stages of developement.

Mika Gallo actually talked about them thinking long and hard about whether they could move the release date for Xbox to an earlier date. Which they obviously did.

Bugs? dont worry about the bugs, this game is almost bug free if you compare it to vampire bloodlines rpg the maquerade, that game was buggy as hell but it was still awesome as hell as well. Bugs can be fixed so dont worry bout bugs, what you should be worried about is if we ever manage to get the cut content back in.

- Countless bugs. Conversations which don't work well, cutscenes which are played without sound, or not played at all. At one point I had to backtrack a saved game (at the jedi enclave on Telos) because somehow the entire cutscene with you arriving and speaking with Attris is not played when you select a certain conversation topic with the handmaidens.

You should use the latest patch. You can grab some more game fixes here -> http://team-gizka.org/downloads.html

In any case, I've never had cutscene acting weird. I've played the game through 4 times. Once without the patch, 3 times with the patch. Never had anything game stopping.

- Difficulty is non-existent. As I am now a jedi watchman combat is not a challenge anymore. I bassicaly sit there pressing force push (the 3rd one) and force lightning and watch all my enemies die. Whats the use of tons and tons of equipment, armor, boosts and crafting options etc. There is no point to them, because well you don't need them - so why bothe

And? Are you trying to say that KOTOR I didn't break down into simple Force Lightning/Push spamming? It did, just happened a bit slower because the level cap was 20.

I can't say much on this, Just hope the next KOTOR is better.

Simple. You were a lightside character, you choose the lightside options after you fought her. You gained a lot of influence by just being a nice guy, thus you had high influence with her before even being able to select her as a party member. When your influence is high with a character, their light/dark shifts to match yours a bit.

Simple. You were a lightside character, you choose the lightside options after you fought her. You gained a lot of influence by just being a nice guy, thus you had high influence with her before even being able to select her as a party member. When your influence is high with a character, their light/dark shifts to match yours a bit.

id just like to add why the people change from dark to light or from light to dark according to you since you seem not to have grasped the idea. :lol: (haitoku that is)

You form bond with people, its one of those things that make you uber special (w00t) in the game, as such you will influence all living things that have a high mental ability, in the direction youre heading yourself. :)

Bugs? What bugs? Get the patch and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Of course, there's always the Telos Academy bug that was added by the patch.

Shappy1010, take a look at the postmortem that Obsidian wrote about the game. They're pretty open about some of the mistakes they made, and I found it a very interesting read.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I never encountered any problems in those areas. The only problem I've had is the missing compartments on the Ebon Hawk and the Criminals on Telos which was nicely fixed by the fans.

Just that?

You either are damn lucky, or just very naieve about noticing bugs...

The second seems most likely, ever heard of:

Redemption, Quest for Fuel, HK-50 convo Telos, AI-problems, Crash-bugs, FPS issues with smoke, doors in the middle of nowhere, enemies spawned into each other, conversation loops, wrong character during some parts of the game, Dxun fight with the Sith script errors (either never stopping, or never starting, right to Onderon), duplicated characters, "wrong" influence gains/losses, Dantooine FPS issue, locked doors when they should be open, All stats reset to 8, Jedi masters not dying, Handmaiden not dying, ghosting and fighting holo-recordings, Galactic History: Bonus Mission, Vogga's Hord, Vogga the Hutt, Infinite XP-Glitch Korriban, Infinite robe glitch Handmaiden, Non-sacrificing Visas, Invisible Atton/Kreia in the Secret Telos Academy, DS/LS switches from party members without reason...

Just to call a few of the Kotor2 bugs... I cannot believe ANYONE has seen less than 10 of these during every random run through Kotor2...

Just that?

You either are damn lucky, or just very naieve about noticing bugs...

The second seems most likely, ever heard of:

Redemption, Quest for Fuel, HK-50 convo Telos, AI-problems, Crash-bugs, FPS issues with smoke, doors in the middle of nowhere, enemies spawned into each other, conversation loops, wrong character during some parts of the game, Dxun fight with the Sith script errors (either never stopping, or never starting, right to Onderon), duplicated characters, "wrong" influence gains/losses, Dantooine FPS issue, locked doors when they should be open, All stats reset to 8, Jedi masters not dying, Handmaiden not dying, ghosting and fighting holo-recordings, Galactic History: Bonus Mission, Vogga's Hord, Vogga the Hutt, Infinite XP-Glitch Korriban, Infinite robe glitch Handmaiden, Non-sacrificing Visas, Invisible Atton/Kreia in the Secret Telos Academy, DS/LS switches from party members without reason...

Just to call a few of the Kotor2 bugs... I cannot believe ANYONE has seen less than 10 of these during every random run through Kotor2...

Ahh I missed your posts. Ol' reliable.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

id just like to add why the people change from dark to light or from light to dark according to you since you seem not to have grasped the idea. :blink: (haitoku that is)

You form bond with people, its one of those things that make you uber special (w00t) in the game, as such you will influence all living things that have a high mental ability, in the direction youre heading yourself. :)

I don't understand what you are saying. I understood the Exile's revelation very well.

He was saying that it was weird that Visas started with almost lightside mastery even though she was a Sith.

I explained to him that after fighting her, if you are nice to her you gain a lot of Influence. When your influence is high with a character, their light n' dark meter shift to match yours.

I was describing the Influence system with him, not the story.

Bugs? What bugs? Get the patch and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Of course, there's always the Telos Academy bug that was added by the patch.

Word of advise: DON'T install Bugpack 1.0B

The mentioned Telos Academy is only a Gamestopping bug inserted by the patch (and thus noticed by most people), there are dozens and dozens of new other (lesser) glitches and bugs introduced.

A quick grasp of the bugs introduced by 1.0B that I could find before I had to re-install due to a 1.0B introduce heavy FPS-reduction issue:

T3-M4's "special weapon" could be duped on Peragus after the Patch

There was a door on Peragus that "wouldn't open" after aborting the cutscene of opening (in 1.0 this would still leave the door open and walkable through)

Mandalore and Visas' char screen would be reversed on the Ravager

EDIT: Cannot believe I forgot to mention how the "Coorta are you dead yet" scene got several visual glitches added and skipping no longer worked correctly like it should (and did in 1.0)

(Oh yeah, and that from just 1 hour playing (Ravager from old savegame)... then imagine what would be found during the resting 39 hours of the game...)

Edited by Battlewookiee

Word of advise: DON'T install Bugpack 1.0B

The mentioned Telos Academy is only a Gamestopping bug inserted by the patch (and thus noticed by most people), there are dozens and dozens of new other (lesser) glitches and bugs introduced.

Now you scare me :ph34r:

I only noticed two new "features" after installing 1.0b, choppiness on Dantooine where I had none before and two handed weapons started to duplicate themselves in my inventory :wacko:

Perhaps I should just go back to 1.0... at least I had a no-cd patch for that one :blink:"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Must be I lucked out. I have 1.0B and hadn't had any game killing problems. I've played three games straight through without incident.

I always install the latest patches because I trust that they fix problems not create them.

Edited by MasterRevan

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I never encountered any problems in those areas. The only problem I've had is the missing compartments on the Ebon Hawk and the Criminals on Telos which was nicely fixed by the fans.

*snip*

Actually I had pretty similar experience as Gabrielle.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.