Hammer and Sickle

I'm very impressed. I just started, did the tutorial and i'm on the first "mission", if you can call cutting a fence and running for it a mission. So far the feel of this game is top notch, i really feel like i'm an agent going to the enemys side. I'm only 5 minutes into the game though, so i guess everything can change. So far, so good.

Are there really no non-combat stats in this game though?

I've played a big chunk of the game through with a surgeon. I was hoping his high intelligence would allow me to talk my way out of some jams, but that has not been the case. So far, I've had a lot of combat, but I know I'm not doing things as well as I could.

It's really important to maintain disguises and keep the peace. I have a squad of allied troops literally hunting me down because I was a bit too violent. Someone posted a big plot diagram, which is amazing given the complexity of the game, and I'm on the losers path *wink*

-Sneak, and use the cover of night

-Wear proper uniforms and get papers in order. I had serious trouble with this. I wish you could leave squad members at home, because I never had enough uniforms. Maybe you can find a fix for this.

-Sanders is extremely deadly with a knife. I've had her take out two soldiers at once on a sneak through.

-Watch your weight. Don't hold on to everything, there will be more weapons. Alternately, just strip weapons of their ammo, if it matches your preferred weapon.

-Pistols can be concealed, all other guns and grenades freak the police out.

Well, now that i actually got to the first real area of the game, i'll have to say i'm a bit dissapointed. The dialog is clumsy, i don't know if they had a bad translator or a bad writer. No real choice in responses this far, other than accept quest or don't accept. Oh and your guy is always a mean russian dude, you can't play anyway else. The combat (as people have said before) takes forever, and feels like a chore. It's been really easy this far though, i've just been sneaking around and shooting people from the back. Never played SS for longer than 15 minutes, so i'm not that familiar with the engine. The camera is weird, i wish you could zoom closer. And i havent figured out how to put stuff inside lockers etc, if it's possible at all.

Overall i'm not as excited as i was when i started, but i'm expecting this to be a good game. Remains to be seen.

edit: grammar and typos

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

I bought this game and have played it for a while. I was extremely disappointed. It feels clumsy and awkwardly put togther. I'm going to go back and give it a fair shake later when I have some time and hope that there is some real gameplay depth concealed beneath the surface. However, right now I feel like I wasted 40 dollars.

Vis: I would definitely wait to read some reviews before you drop your money on it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I've only played the demo, but to me it felt like a mod for Silent Storm rather than a complete game, which is unsuprising considering that's exactly what it started as.

I really love S^2 and S^3, so I want to love this too but I just don't know...

It definitely is more of the same...it doesn't really break new ground. I actually never got S3, so that might explain its great appeal to me. I actually just really like the tough spots it puts me in. Right now I'm on a mission where a ton of allied tropps are attacking my 6 men in an adandoned farmhouse. The place is literally crumbling as we fight it out.

I think it is best to think Silent Storm as a turn-based staregy game. Yes, it has some RP elements. Levels, stats, skills etc...But, no role-playing.

It's a mission and turn based strategy game with some role playing elements.

centinexx.png

-Wear proper uniforms and get papers in order.  I had serious trouble with this.  I wish you could leave squad members at home, because I never had enough uniforms.  Maybe you can find a fix for this.

You can, Just choose the character you want to leave behind as "Active" and Click the bed in your Base [2nd floor in First town or in the Forresters hut], voila the character leaves your team... until you talk to him/her again.

@Topic

I played through the game as Scout and Medic following 2 different paths [by killing Konrad] the game is Very short... took me under 10 hours to complete at first time, about 7 hours the second time.

73/100 [i don't like WWII... If I would i'd give it 8 more points]

IF you're a fan of Silent Storm... Buy This

IF you like Turn Based Strategy Games... Buy This

IF you Hate WWII setting... Avoid This

IF you're looking for an actual RPG... Avoid This.

Regardless... Buy Space Rangers 2 It's longer, better and Sci-Fi.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

@Topic

I played through the game as Scout and Medic following 2 different paths [by killing Konrad] the game is Very short... took me under 10 hours to complete at first time, about 7 hours the second time.

73/100 [i don't like WWII... If I would i'd give it 8 more points]

IF you're a fan of Silent Storm... Buy This

IF you like Turn Based Strategy Games... Buy This

IF you Hate WWII setting... Avoid This

IF you're looking for an actual RPG... Avoid This.

Regardless... Buy Space Rangers 2 It's longer, better and Sci-Fi.

Looks like I totally need this ;)

What is this Space Rangers 2? :)

What kind of game is Space Rangers?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just read a review about Space Rangers that sounded pretty impressive.

LINKY

Edit: I'm level 2! And it only took me two years. :)

Edited by Soulseeker

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Seems to me you went through the short path.

Did you arrive to the Thor's Hammer HQ in time, or was it abandoned already?

I've been playing this for a few days now, and I have to say it's a pretty fun game. However, I like the setting, and I liked S^2-3. The game is basically the same as its predecessors, but it allows you to make a few decisions here and there, that set you on the different branches of the plot. Roleplaying is not its strongest point, though. Character creation is basically restricted to face and stat selection, as you can't even play a female. Character interaction is... great for a tactical TB game, but only OK for an RPG.

The game suffers from a few imbalance issues, such as the melee skill that a mid-level scout can easily use to murder a whole platoon with his bare hands in a single turn, and the ability to toss demolition charges as if they were grenades.

Some of the skill problems of S^2-3 are still present, such as the practical inability to raise your Interrupt skill unless you want to play hide-and-seek with the enemy. This is particularly annoying as the enemy usually has nearly maxed Interrupt, and this means they constantly interrupt you while you can't interrupt them.

It has a few interesting features, such as a high degree of difficulty customization. Oddly, the "normal" difficulty is quite hard, and I had to start over as I was getting consistently raped. And I'm not a newbie to this kind of games.

The whole deal with the disguises is pretty cool too, as police officers will immediately shoot gun-toting bandits, but they will leave allied soldiers alone.

The different plot branches are a plus, too, as it's impossible to do everything in a single playthrough since some branches are mutually exclusive. Interestingly enough, you can lose the game even if you win every battle.

The only thing I miss in this game is multiplayer. The gameplay seems tailored to support it, but apparently they simply forgot about it. Hopefully they will some day release something in this engine that allows for some good ol' multiplayer carnage.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I won every battle, and somehow I ended up starting World War III...

Looks like I need to start a new game ;-)

Yep. Perhaps you won too many battles.

Next time try to avoid fighting American troops as much as you can. The game keeps track of every American soldier you kill, and I think that's one of the things that may take you down the losing path.

This game has multiple endings... right? :lol:

Um. It has a "good" ending in which WWIII is prevented, and one in which it's not. I think that's about it. The epilogues for the party members are different under some circumstances, I don't know how exactly.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.