Online gaming community

Llyranor

Hmm, from what it seems, people on these forums have lots of different tastes regarding game genres; RTS, FPS, TBS, etc. and not just strictly RPGs.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to try to bring this community online as well, playing multiplayer games of the different genres together.

Civ4 sessions between forum members, for example. Or, the latest RTS/FPS/etc. Coop games, and so on.

Perhaps having some sort of network will allow us like-minded individuals (... we're individuals!) to play some games together that we wouldn't otherwise (because, we're on this forum because we like RPGs - but that says nothing about our other preferences).

Perhaps in this network we would also include a medium for voice communication, so as to allow more teamwork within these sessions.

We could try to set something up via IM or Xfire, mayhaps.

Any thoughts (since you're all capable of actual thinking!)?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I think there has been a small following for Battlefield 2 for the Obsidian server but its not a bad idea, though I mostly just play CRPGs. Once NWN 2 is released I think we could form our own NWN 2 guild and set up servers for our own use where we can gather, chat, role play, and kill each other.

I like FPS'rs and I frequently play on Call of Duty 1 and 2. Also got Counterstrike Source and all the HL2 gear.

I use X-Fire for online gaming and I find it very efficient and useful, although I haven't really got many contacts on it. Maybe if anyone else interested in FPS'rs wanted to join up I'd be happy to get some gaming in. :)

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

I was considering to remake Baldur's Gate using NWN 2. That entire region has a lot of PW potential. THen again with the tool set, if they didn't hype up its funcionality, I could set up materials for my own world that I couldn't do in NWN 1. I really don't have much knowledge about online gaming as a whole though, since I tend to shy away from it.

The BF2 server is a lot of fun, although a lot of people have trouble running the game, and a few just aren't interested.

I think most people here probably own NWN. We could set up something right now if we wanted to. The forum is excellent because you can log in anytime of the day and comment about different stuff. A PW can be tough because it's hard to communicate with someone if they aren't at their computer exactly when you are.

If I liked the game chosen, I'd be game. Except, I'd probably refuse to do any teamspeak-like stuff, because I doubt anyone would want to listen to, much less be able to understand, my allergy-congested, low-pitched, mumbling ways of speech. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, if this is going to be a team effort in making an Obsidian based PW we first need to hammer out the setting and such. Should we use an established setting like Forgotten Realms or create an original setting which we decide what is canon and what isn't.

Haha, don't underestimate how much freaking work is required in making and maintaining a PW, both effort and time wise. Using a PW doesn't necessarily mean making one, we can join someone else's as well.

We can set it up for easy accessibility.

"Forum members X, Y and Z like to frequent this PW. A and B like this one." and so on.

Hadescopy.jpg

I'm a part of ALFA, which is a rather massive recreation project for Faerun. They have about 12 live servers now, with a few hundred active players. You can actually travel from server to server, as if you are travelling across the realm. It's a heavy RP group though, and they ban people pretty fast if they mess around in game. They are already working hard to be set for NWN2.

You can check it out at www.alandfaraway.org

I've just adopted Xfire. Nice little program. Lets you see when your buddies are playing what games - even allows you to jump mid-game into the server they're on. Very convenient, and could be a very useful tool for any gaming community. Built-in voice chat system is VERY nice.

Hadescopy.jpg