Which are the worst CRPGs of the last decade?

More games to be added or removed if wanted  

49 members have voted

1. 1. More games to be added or removed if wanted

• Pool of Radiance 2
    • Dungeon Siege
    • Ultima 9
    • The Elder Scrolls series
    • Divine Divinity
    • Dungeon Lords
    • Neverwinter Nights- The Original Campaign
    • Gothic 1 & 2
    • Lionheart
    • The Diablo Series

ATTENTION: Once you vote, you wont be able to vote again, even if the poll is edited.

(before you ask where the alternaties are I will inform you that they wil be added to the poll later once we come up with 10 worthy candidates)

Give me your failiures, your stinkers and your most foolish purchases!

Some factors that make up a bad CRPG

• severely bugged or incomplete game
  • no actual opportuinity to roleplay
  • uninteresting, generic story
  • poor writing
  • imbalanced gameplay
  • unimaginative setting
  • boring combat
  • lack of, or uninteresting or annoying NPC's
  • repetetive story and/or gameplay

The list goes , that was just a few examples

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'll cut out everyone's work by posting the following:

• Anything done by Bioware.
  • Anything done by Troika.
  • Anything done by Bethesda.
  • Anything done by Squarenix.
  • Anything done by Obsidian.
  • Anything and everything.

Thank you and goodnight.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor fits the bill in the bugginess department. Also, the story is boring, the combat is boring and pretty much everything in the game is boring.

I've also heard bad things of a game called Gorasul but I've never played it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

POR2 - This has been covered to death, and it should be clear cut why.

IWD2 - Outside of the solid implementation of 3.0 D&D rules, it was simply a let down.

DQ8 - A horrible, horrible reminder of the past. Not one redeemable quality, and highly overrated.

DS - Eek. This one make me puke. I'd add DS2; but it wouldn't be fair as I haven't played it.

DD - Spamming hundreds of easy monsters automatiucally makes this one worthless.

Wizards & Warriors - A rip off of old school CRPGs.

VTM:R - Aug. Even at its worst BL is a masterpiece comapred to this joke. Horrendous. It may have come first with the idea of a 'DM' in a CRPG; but the game was just plain crap; that it promptly vanished into pooland.

ES series - All of them. Overrated empty spaces. When the best part of a game is its size there's something wrong.

There ar eother games I didn't care for like TOEE, FF9, and FFX-2 as well as others I ahven't played or I have simply forgotten; but these are the worst of the worst who have stuck their awfulness in my crawl. I'm espicially likely forgot some of the early to mid 90s awful CRPGs...

o:)

"Anything done by Bioware.

Anything done by Troika.

Anything done by Bethesda.

Anything done by Squarenix.

Anything done by Obsidian.

Anything and everything."

LOL :D

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As usual with thee sort of threads everybody is just going to name games they personally didn't like regardless fo actual merit or worth.

So in that vein I nominate Planescape: Torment on grounds: 1,2,4,5,6,7,8.

Yay!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

1. BGDA is not a RPG.

2. You like NWN1. As evidenced by you buying it and its expansions more than once. o:) Your rveiew also backs up the theory as you rated it 75% which last I checked doesn't equate to 'one of the worst'.

Edited by Volourn

I nominate Sacred, on the following grounds:

• uninteresting, generic story

• poor writing

• unimaginative setting

• boring combat

• lack of, or uninteresting or annoying NPC's

• repetetive story and/or gameplay

It's hard to find the motivation to trek halfway across the map, killing monster after monster, knowing that my reward will be a ten second conversation with an NPC and the next quest, which will be to head off the other side of the map to talk with another NPC. If it improved by the end, let me know, because I don't think I got beyond the halfway point. And I will never again play an RPG which boasts of having randomly-generated sidequests.

I like fantasy. I'm a fantasy fan, and I have good tolerance for fantasy stories. They have to be really dull and generic for me to think they're dull and generic. Sacred was. I'm glad I played it, because it's made be appreciate good games like Kotor, NWN and Bloodlines all the more.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The best thing about Scared was the horses. I know I overrated it when I initially played it. The horsies blinded me to the truthies.

If that's true Hades, you wouldn't have rated it 75% I do believe.

And,a agin, BGDA is not a CRPG. Not even ana ction CRPG. JE, and BL qualify for action CRPGs. BGDA is an action game. Plain, and simple. Just becuase it a very broad D&D origin doens't auto make it a CRPG. Heck, it didn't even have 3E's dialogue skillz.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

Horsies will rock in NWN2! of cours,e people should wait a month for my review of it becuase my initial impressions of NWN2 will be blinded by the awesome horsies! WEEEEE!!!!!

Edited by Volourn

I was going to say Ultima9 - Hades beat me to it.

Might & Magic IX was also a huge disappointment to me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Worse eh?

Pool of Radiance 2:  Ruins of Myth Drannor.

Temple of Elemental Evil

Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance

Neverwinter Nights 1

Dungeon Siege

Ultima 9

VtM:  Redemption

Pirates of the Caribbian

Gothic 2

Those are some of the best games ever, you silly person. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Thought this was "Worst CRPGs"?

Oh well, console games into the mix as well I suppose.

Vampire Bloodlines : Horrible performance, bugs, glitches, story doesn't hold up too well towards the end, boring combat.

Neverwinter Nights I : Toolset, onlineplay aside... I wanted a good single player RPG, I didn't get that. I got a tired generic story with no real depth.

Dungeon Siege I & II : Your typical Diablo style killer hack and slash RPG. Boring.

Star Ocean 3 : Just bad all around. Story is... dare I say it, stupid? Hole first part of the game has absolutely no baring on the plot.

Is the "Pirates of the carribean" franchise game an RPG? :p

..and could you explain some of the abbreviations you used, Volo? I dont get all of them.

p.s

and I will have everyone who suggest Pst or Falout1&2 banned. Thankyou.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Aye; but those feats are gonna be a mess to script cosnider the horse has to match the rider models too.. I forsee a very basic use of horsies in combat with maybe one or two riding feats.. Don't expect the depth of pnp horse riding to be sure right out of the box.

Edited by Volourn

The best thing about Scared was the horses. I know I overrated it when I initially played it. The horsies blinded me to the truthies.

Agreed. I played it just long enough to realize the gameplay stunk and then stopped. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ultima 9 should be without a doubt in such a list. It is the epitome of selling-out a franchise and it is easily the biggest disappointment with games in gereral I ever experienced before and after. All the traits that made (later) Ultimas classics like a vibrant world, freeform gameplay, interesting NPCs with well thought-out stories and any sense of continuity to boot were dropped. There were some other horribly flawed games like NWN 1 but they were simply boring and didn't invoke such feelings of repulsion due to the immense expectations.

Edited by Antagonist

I remember when the guy who made U9 (or was in charge of production, or something) basically gave up the ghost and closed his official forums and such...running away....angering many people even more than they were already angered. :p