Original Maps

Archmonarch

I am in need of a program whereby to create maps, preferably based on existing images (not necessarily maps) I designate. I remember reading somewhere on here that one of us has an interest in cartography? Does anyone have some suggestions.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I am in need of a program whereby to create maps, preferably based on existing images (not necessarily maps) I designate. I remember reading somewhere on here that one of us has an interest in cartography? Does anyone have some suggestions.

I'm guessing that one of us would be me, but I'm afraid I've got no idea where you'd find such a program. I'm not aware of any program that generates maps from non-map images.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I guess what I really mean is a program that can create landmasses based on the outlines of a particular object. To give an example, say I had a picture of a cat, the program would create a landmass that looked like a cat in shape.

A bonus would be if it could create topographic features based on the object's contours, but I really dont expect that.

Edited by Archmonarch

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I guess what I really mean is a program that can create landmasses based on the outlines of a particular object. To give an example, say I had a picture of a cat, the program would create a landmass that looked like a cat in shape.

A bonus would be if it could create topographic features based on the object's contours, but I really dont expect that.

Hmm. The first part of your problem could probably be solves with a border detection program. That takes an image and marks the images borders by detecting sharp colour changes. Someone with graphic art experience might be able to point you in the direction of one of these.

Unfortunately, my work with maps is almost exclusively with maps of earth, and political ones more than physical ones. I'm afraid I have little experience in the field of topographical map generators. There's probably one out there, but I'm afraid I'm not directly aware of it. Sorry.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!