What antialiasing is and why its so important

Kaftan Barlast

In digital signal processing, anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing aliasing (jagged or blocky patterns) when representing a high-resolution signal at a lower resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialiasing

antialiasing.jpg

Personally I cannot understand people who claim not to notice the horrible, jagged edges that occur when FSAA(full screen anti aliasing) is turned off. This examle is just a small screenshot, imagine how apparent the jaggedness would be fullscreen.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

^I share the same view with the Blue Beast of Obs.

I just don't care.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

1) I personally hate anti-aliasing. It makes everything, especially text and hud graphics, look slightly blurry. I prefer the tight crisp look of a non-anti-aliased screen.

2)Aliasing is FAR more noticeable on still shots and screen captures than it is when you are running around dodging bullets or leaping off platforms or warping through ftl jumpgates. When you are actually involved in gameplay, you'll never hav e the time to even notice the aliasing effect.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Aliasing does actually bother me quite a lot, but I have never known what it is until now, so I'll be able to actually put AA to use :lol:. Thanks Kaftan!

Although it does bother me some, I agree with Numbersman, if it's a matter of a few FPS or Aliasing...

I also notice, but also don't care (much), and I also think too much AA makes things a bit blurry, as CrashGirl said. I think the AA difference is not quite as dramatic (and even more blurry-edge looking) if you are not on a high resolution (ie, over 1024)....so if you're still playing on 800 or 1024, especially if your monitor is small, it's not that big a thing.

These days I like 1280 or 1600 resolution w/a low AA and antisoptric setting. 6AA seems like overkill to me.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What I don't understand is Anistropic Filtering, I can never tell the difference.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

From wiki i think it has something to do with how textures fit on models and stuff. If someone in the know could provide diagrams that would be helpful.

As for aliasing, yeah its not really noticeable in moving pictures so it doesn't really bother me.

Kaftan arent you one of the gameplay over graphics extremists? ;) Its odd you would complain about aliasing.

Edited by Surreptishus

To my eyes it makes things like ground/water reflections look more vivid/dynamic with less blurry depth vision. I really hate that blurry look like in karka's pic.

Not all games benefit a whole lot from it, tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The thing is, if you look at the picture on the right I can STILL point see where the pixels are. It's a bit more difficult to notice though, unless you are stopped and analyzing the screen, practically looking for them. Sure I can notice them, but while in a game playing them my eyes probably interpolate the aliasing to be a smooth edge. Maybe it's all my years of being forced to play at low resolutions. Or maybe the visual cortex of my brain has evolved to the point where it knows how to manipulate the signals detected so that I interpret more naturally (actually probably not THAT unreasonable, since I've been playing computer games in some way shape or form since I was 2, almost 23 years ago).

And yeah, I like anisotropic filtering because it gives much better clarity for objects still in the distance. The biggest improvment I noticed this on was the original Half-Life game, which had a very abrupt mip-mapping line break where textures went from clear to blurry. Hell Kitty's picture does a pretty good job, and THAT is the type of detail I like seeing in video games. It's why I don't care if I can't play at 1600x1200 with 23542x FSAA at 252 fps in FEAR. I feel the shaders and the rest of the engine add so much more graphically that I'm not going to lose sleep over mere pixels.

The funny thing is...how much of a performance hit is that with 6x FSAA? I won't dispute that FSAA at the same resolution is better...but is it really better than just upping the resolution, which also has additional benefits such as increased precision, at less of a performance increase?

Antialiasing is (in my opinion) a highly overrated effect. The only thing that happens to the picture output when you turn on antialiasing is that the filter tries to determine where the edges are on things on the screen. When it finds an edge, it blurs out the edge by painting it in different shades of gray, making the optical effect of having a slightly less jagged edge. I agree with some of the posters in this thread who said the antialiased screen looks blurry, because that's really all the effect accomplishes. It's especially unnecessary if you're supposed to have something gritty and rough on the screen, because those types of things usually look better without antialiasing.

Also, as most of you already pointed out, antialiasing is not worth it if you can play the game in 1280x1024 or higher. By that resolution the pixels are so small that any jagged edges look smooth by default. I much prefer anisotropic filtering, which is a filter that keeps the crispness of textures clean even if they're far away from the camera.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I think you are all completely crazy. I will not play games with less than 4xAA and I will gladly shell out fr a tope of the line GFX to be able to see my games like the developers intended them to look.

The reason why I need AA is that bad graphics kill the suspension of disbelief for me. If I look at the screen to the left, I see a model placed among some textured polygons but if I look to the right screen with AA enabled, I see my character standing in the ebon hawk. Not to mention that it is highly annoying to see the aliased edges flicker as I move.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The reason why I need AA is that bad graphics kill the suspension of disbelief for me. If I look at the screen to the left, I see a model placed among some textured polygons but if I look to the right screen with AA enabled, I see my character standing in the ebon hawk. Not to mention that it is highly annoying to see the aliased edges flicker as I move.

Well, the fps hit my games take if go for too much AA is what kills the suspension of disbelief for me. It might make the game nearly unplayable, too.

Yep, if I had

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.