Stupid things you've done in video games...

Deraldin

Well, I've done something stupid yet again in a game so in an effort to make myself feel better about the whole thing I'll share it with all of you in the hopes that you'll share your own tales of boundless stupidity in the realms of video games.

The Heroic Tale of Barik the Ranger!

Anyway, my own tale begins with our hero Barik, who has been tracking down a large group of kobolds through the mountains of chapter one of Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide, heedless of the fact that he is all alone as a 3rd level ranger that is blindly running after a tribe of at the very least 60 kobolds. Now Barik is not usually so stupid as to do this alone, however he felt the need to let his companion rest as said companion nearly died during an adventure into an elven crypt in an attempt to retrieve an artifact from a splinter group of kobolds who had retreated inside when they were cut off from the rest of the tribe by a number of gnolls.

So, back to the story. Barik enters the cave into which he has the cowardly little monsters "trapped" and not 20 feet from the entrances he runs straight into a trap that he could have sworn wasn't there. After recovering from the effects of this first trap he stumbles forward into yet another trap. Now this new trap just so happens to be within sight of a group of kobolds who were waiting for the foolish human to run right through the traps. Thankfully Barik makes it out of this situation with barely a scratch as he manages to free himself from the trap before the monsters get off more than a single swing and quickly dispatches them.

Trudging through the dark caves he runs down a long corridor and slaughters another group of kobolds, upon turning the corner and spotting another long hall there appears to be something at the end of it, but Barik pays little heed to this as it is not a monster as indicated by the bluish glow around it when the creator presses the TAB key. Running down the hall, he is pierced by two arrows which come from the quite unfriendly ballista that sat at the end of the hallway. Oops.

Rounding another corner, he spots something all adventurers love to see. A huge treasure chest that seems to glow with the might of all the magical artifacts that must be stored within! Paying no mind to the fact that the chest is in a room with 4 entrances, with each one having a portcullis set above the doorway he runs right in and opens the chest. Strangely all there is inside is a note. Maybe it will tell him where the treasure is being kept!

"Ha ha! We got you suckers!" The gates slam down and approximately 30 kobolds appear and spread out around the four doors. Pressing himself a tight as he can against a wall in one corner of the room, Barik defends himself as well as he can with his longbow and manages to take down quite a number of kobolds. After downing a healing potion or two, the kobolds are down to nearly one third the original number, but wait! What's that? One of them can cast spells?! Running to another corner of the room, out of sight of the spellcaster, he is hit in the head by a sling stone from one of the kobolds still manning the gates. Barik is starting to really hate stones and kobolds but dislikes kobolds that throw stones even more. As his health get's low he reaches down to grab another potion to find himself all out of cure light healing potions and healing kits. "Crap!", he thinks to himself as he puts an arrow through another kobold. There are only three of them left, but he is realling hurting so he attempts to use his magic ring to teleport himself back to safety.

"This item can not be used while you are in combat." The words float above his head, taunting him as he nears death. He double checks his equipment for a last cure light wounds potion, but finds none. As he send another arrow into one of the two remaining kobolds that he can see, with the spell slinger still hiding out of sight, he is again hit in the head with a sling stone and this time it manages to take him down. That last kobold must think he got pretty lucky. He must have been promoted big time that day...

As his spirit drifts away and his body slumps to the ground and little green bottle rolls out of his pack. A cure medium wounds potion. "AH F@#$!!!!" *exit to windows*

Now that you have heard the tale of Barik the ranger, you must share your own stories. What traps have you set off? What ambushes have you blindly walked into? What plot essential characters have you sacrificed not realizing that one of the mission objectives was their survival? They need not be stories from RPG's, any type of game will work.

I don't know if it counts as stupid, but I tried to do Durlag's tower without a thief..

I put Korgan the dwarf up front, and simply marched him ahead of the party. Having given him the edifying tome of constitution boosting he healed with the normal passage of time without sleeping. Thus he stamped around, scorched and dented and grumbling, dodging monsters, and eating arrows with his boots of speed.

I enjoyed the experience as more of a challenge than if I had a thief. Although I was obliged to use 'knock' to unlock many of the chests.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Durlogs Tower is my favorite area in any of the BG games. It was, for me, most like PS:T. I've played it using a wide variety of styles and combos.

However, the stupid thing I used to do in every game was hold on to my potions, scrolls, charged items, etc. I wanted to save them all for that "really tough battle." I'd end the game carrying my weight in healing potions. Dumb. Now, I try to be careful with how I used potions, but I don't horde them like a dragon hording gold.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't know if it counts as stupid, but I tried to do Durlag's tower without a thief..

I put Korgan the dwarf up front, and simply marched him ahead of the party. Having given him the edifying tome of constitution boosting he healed with the normal passage of time without sleeping. Thus he stamped around, scorched and dented and grumbling, dodging monsters, and eating arrows with his boots of speed.

I enjoyed the experience as more of a challenge than if I had a thief. Although I was obliged to use 'knock' to unlock many of the chests.

you do know Korgan was a BG2 character, right?

However, the stupid thing I used to do in every game was hold on to my potions, scrolls, charged items, etc.  I wanted to save them all for that "really tough battle."  I'd end the game carrying my weight in healing potions.  Dumb.  Now, I try to be careful with how I used potions, but I don't horde them like a dragon hording gold.

hehe, sounds familiar :)

I've done many a stupid thing in video games. The final mission of Brood War comes to mind, where I attacked all three fronts at the same time... :wub:

Edited by Pope

Just a couple days ago:

While playing Doom 3, I threw a grenade at a closed door, not realizing I hadn't switched to my shotgun. The thing bounced right off the door and blew up in my face.

Also, in Diablo II, my Barbarian had a Shadow Thirst Giant Axe which was my most poweful weapon. One time, I happen to get killed., and of all things, I forget to pick up my axe from my corpse and ended up losing it forever. I still haven't found a weapon that was as poweful as that axe. :wacko:

Edited by Mothman

Sitting and playing a game on my Playstation 2 for too long, and when I finally give in and rush to the toilet I trip over the powercord, thus ruining five hours of unsaved progress.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

1. Reaching the very final scene of Alone in the Dark with the tree in the subterranian pool. I waded across to the tiny island where the tree stood and the game told me hat since I had waded across he pool, my lamp was wet and so I had no way to torch the tree and finish the game. I was about as pissed off as a 13yearold can be.

2. Reaching the castle in Legend of Kyrandia and getting very permanently stuck. Years later I read that you had to pick up an extra violet rose in the beginning of the game or you cannot finish the game. Naturally, there was no clue whatsoever that I had to do this... ah, those sweet old adventure games.. they sure knew how to frustrate a player back then

3. I got to Durlags tower in BG and even though I had 6lvl characters I couldt hurt the horrors there so I just gave up and never played it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

1. Reaching the very final scene of Alone in the Dark with the tree in the subterranian pool. I waded across to the tiny island where the tree stood and the game told me hat since I had waded across he pool, my lamp was wet and so I had no way to torch the tree and finish the game. I was about as pissed off as a 13yearold can be.

Aww... Ain

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

When I was playing Infinity Engine games and Starcraft back and forth, I used to press spacebar to pause the action whenever my Protoss forces encountered the enemy.

Then I would curse loudly as my forces were decimated due to my lack of control all the while slamming on the spacebar trying to pause the game and avert disaster.

I was playing CoD2 online just a few minutes ago. After coming in first on a deathmatch server with 30 people (71 kills, 27 deaths) I started to play on a different server. I chucked a grenade, it bounced of the wall and killed me. As soon as a spawned, I was shot by an apposing player. When I spawned again, I threw another grenade and killed my teammate. :wub:

pressing quickload instead of quick save :wub:

Yup, happens all the time for me. God, i don't ever learn.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have a problem of not doing enough saves. It becomes a problem if a game doesn't have auto save, something screws up and you have to start all over again.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

trying to pick up a gun in COD2 and accidently putting a grenade right in my face (in single player)

Then there was accidently hitting the rewind button on POP for one second when I died using my last sand tank.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Diablo 2 on Battlenet. I was a level 60 sorceress. Some little level 12 paladin punk was taunting me so I was going go PK his ass. I left town and with one hit he killed me. Damned hacked players. After that I learned to play with hacked characters.

Only n00bs play with hacked characters.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.