How about a different setting for a CRPG?

SubBassman

Hi guys

Would you play a true CRPG (Fallout style) set in the WWII era?

There would be say a few German deserters on the russian front and somehow you should get back to Germany through foul and fair.

Or British POWs in the heat of Northern Africa...

Or American paratroopers left in the heart of Germany...

Let your imagination run wild.

There are only fantasy and scifi RPGs; why shouldn't there be a new kind of setting?

I know publishers don't like taking too much risk, but it's good to fantasize once in a while. :)

Or should we let the idea die on the vine?

My last question: what other setting would you find interesting?

Dark Sun, Warhammer 40k, or Dreampod 9's Heavy Gear universe. All those would be interesting.

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Sure, I would love a WWII setting. I have no problems with a military setting for a crpg.

I also second a vote for a western crpg with guns. I used to play the old Boot Hill pnp game way back when and loved it.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I thought i posted a prison setting... :o maybe that was another thread :)

Anyway, you could be a new inmate who has to gain the protection of a faction and then get drawn into the interplay of the different gangs. You could have the ability to switch gangs or maybe even be a snitch for the wardens.

It would never get made, probably too edgy. :(

One can always dream.

crpg western with some supernatural elements. *faints*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I thought i posted a prison setting... :huh: maybe that was another thread :blink:

Anyway, you could be a new inmate who has to gain the protection of a faction and then get drawn into the interplay of the different gangs. You could have the ability to switch gangs or maybe even be a snitch for the wardens.

One can always dream.

Uhm.. In Gothic you're playing a nameless criminal that starts out by getting tossed into a prison. Then you have to side with one of the three gangs inside the prison to be able to break out (actually destroy the entire prison).. You can't switch gangs though and there are no wardens.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'd like one set in the US Civil War period. Most Civil War games are RTS.

Ancient civilizations like someone else mentioned would be cool, too. Actually, combining RPG with city building somehow would probably turn me on quite a bit, if it was done creatively/well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought i posted a prison setting... :huh: maybe that was another thread :blink:

One can always dream.

Uhm.. In Gothic you're playing a nameless criminal that starts out by getting tossed into a prison. Then you have to side with one of the three gangs inside the prison to be able to break out (actually destroy the entire prison).. You can't switch gangs though and there are no wardens.

Damn krauts stole your idea!

What the....? :blink: Its all in german <_< Is that scenario in Gothic 2?

Gothic was a dirty fantasy game so it doesnt count. You still win, Surp.

...and there was no anal rape in Gothic either.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "