Sinuses

Commissar

So, I have a weird problem.

I got a cold right before we took off to visit the folks for Christmas, and my sinuses got hit bad. I was fine for the flight out, though the descent built up a lot of painful pressure I couldn't clear - imagine like when you need to pop your ears, but with your sinuses. I thought my head was going to explode, but it was cool. Eventually dissipated.

Flying back, same thing happened; now, however, I've got what feels like a pocket of rather painful pressure behind my right brow. Tried clearing my ears, no dice - the left ear will pop, but the pain intensifies greatly on the right side, to the point where I have to stop blowing. Talked to a pilot friend, he said to try clearing my ears. Talked to a doctor friend, he said such things shouldn't be physically possible, but he's a podiatrist. Anybody ever have anything like this happen? If so, please tell me how to fix it.

I'll pay you.

Go to a sink, turn your head upside down, suck large quantities of warm water up your nose, add some salt if you feel like it.

Turn back rightside up, let the gooey mucusey water come out of your nose and/or mouth.

Alternatively you could have a sinus infection brewing, this should help alleviate the symptoms of both problems though.

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. It feels like your head will explode on the descent. For a few days afterwards every time i blew my nose there was bloody mucus and also a terrible focused headache.

My doctor prescribed me antibiotics and painkillers to treat sinusitis and it cleared up fine. However iit has happened since on the descent on plane rides but only when i've had a cold.

What CoF described is good for clearing out the snot but won't do anything for the problem.

Edited by Surreptishus

Go to a sink, turn your head upside down, suck large quantities of warm water up your nose, add some salt if you feel like it. 

Turn back rightside up, let the gooey mucusey water come out of your nose and/or mouth. 

Alternatively you could have a sinus infection brewing, this should help alleviate the symptoms of both problems though.

What you suggest sounds suspiciously a lot like drowning.

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. It feels like your head will explode on the descent. For a few days afterwards every time i blew my nose  there was bloody mucus and also a terrible focused headache.

My doctor prescribed me antibiotics and painkillers to treat sinusitis and it cleared up fine. However iit has happened since on the descent on plane rides but only when i've had a cold.

What CoF described is good for clearing out the snot but won't do anything for the problem.

Antiobiotics, huh? Got a crapload of those lying around, maybe I'll pop some.

Well that's why I said he might have a sinus infection brewing.

What I advised will alleviate the pressure/pain though.

But you are right, he'll need to see a doctor.

Alternatively you can mix a little bit of Colloidal Silver with some Saline Spray and that should do the trick just as well as prescribed antibiotics.

EDIT: What I said was in response to Surreptishus.

It's not at all like drowning, because the water stays in the upper parts of the esophagus. If it's getting in your lungs something has gone horribly wrong.

Edited by Child of Flame

But the pressure isnt caused by the mucus, its the inflamed and possibly ruptured blood vessels.

I'd go and see a doctor Commie, you want to make sure there isnt too much damage. :)

Screw doctors, I self-medicate.

Remind me to tell you guys about the time I removed a three-inch splinter from my shoulder with my trusty Gerber knife.

I got a horrible infection. :x

Edit: It's self-diagnosis that led me to come up with the stupid pressure theory, and which has had me trying to pop my ears every ten minutes for the last day and a half, causing great pain and likely some damage up there. I'm still not going to see a doctor.

Edited by Commissar

But the pressure isnt caused by the mucus, its the inflamed and possibly ruptured blood vessels.

I'd go and see a doctor Commie, you want to make sure there isnt too much damage. :)

Remind me to tell you guys about the time I removed a three-inch splinter from my shoulder with my trusty Gerber knife.

I got a horrible infection. :x

Edit: It's self-diagnosis that led me to come up with the stupid pressure theory, and which has had me trying to pop my ears every ten minutes for the last day and a half, causing great pain and likely some damage up there. I'm still not going to see a doctor.

Psycho.

do you not have insurance or something? :x

I do, in fact. But my choices up here are pretty slim as to where to actually use it.

Naval medicine is bad juju. Have a close family member who had a kidney removed because some swabbie doc thought that he had a cancerous tumor in it. Turned out to be benign.

Or I can head on out to Billy Bob's K-4 Clinic. Neither one sounds appealing. You guys solved my problem. I just need to drop some antibiotics and I'll be right as rain.

Taking antibiotics without prescription is a bad idea. Chances are you won't get the dose right, in which case they will either do nothing, or do too much, which can be even worse.

Maybe you don't even need antibiotics at all. If you can't stand the pain, get to the doctor. It's the smart thing to do.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If you can inhale, inhale a blast of ammonia through your nose ( vapors only obviously ). If it feels like you're opening sinuses in the back of your head then your sinuses are clear and you have other problems.

I found this out when I found some of my parent's ammonia caps. I thought they were amal nitrate and took a big blast. Christ that hurt. :x

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Contray to what everybody's been saying here, leave your sinuses alone and they will self repair. The more you aggrivate them, the longer it'll take.

That goes for your ears too btw.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

How do you get rid of a sinus infection? everytime its cold outside i get a sore throat, runner nose and mucus if i don't stay in warm weather. It gets horrible! I need to keepo my sinuses warm or else it starts to agrivate. Any cure for a sinus infection?

It hasn't been doing this for a little while, its been 2 year now, every winter here is not pretty for me. its not just cold weather, every time i wake up I have congested sinuses too.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I feel for all those who have bad sinusitus. It rears its ugly head in my nose from time to time.

Besides taking antibiotics when its REALLY bad, I usually go for brisk walks with a cotton mask over my nose and mouth. This usually gets my circulation going and my nose clears up at least for a while.

Another thing that works for me is sitting in a bathtub in hot water. The water level should be at your belly button and you should start to sweat as you're sitting there reading or meditating or whatever. This gets the circulation going too and alleviates some of the pressure for me.

Instead of water and salt up your nose, I recommend purchasing some saline solution and squirting that up your nose. With salt, you might put too much in causing more irritation.

How do you get rid of a sinus infection? everytime its cold outside i get a sore throat, runner nose and mucus if i don't stay in warm weather. It gets horrible! I need to keepo my sinuses warm or else it starts to agrivate. Any cure for a sinus infection?

It hasn't been doing this for a little while, its been 2 year now, every winter here is not pretty for me. its not just cold weather, every time i wake up I have congested sinuses too.

Either Antibiotics or a few drops of Colloidal Silver in some Saline Spray.

Without antibiotics of some sort be they the natural (colloidal silver) or chemical (penicillin) sort, sinus infections just get worse, trust me on this.