Books!

Gabrielle

Just finished Birdsong. I can recommend it: "...not a perfect novel, just an excellent one."

Reading a NF one predominantly at the moment: Terrence Deacon's The Symbolic Species (about the co-evolutionary development of the capacity to speak with the rapid cerebellum expansion of the human brain that facilitated symbolic representation): turns all the established theories of language learning and special brain phenomena on its head. (I've had the book for ages, it was printed in 1997, but I only recently dug it out of my box of "books to read").

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've read almost all of Orson Scott Card books. But I don't really like his writting. It is mostly the contrarian within me that cringes when people hail him as the best writter ever. Similar reaction to people who say the hyperion is the best book ever. Or that fundaction is a timeless classic of science fiction.

For gods sake your taste is just horrible, don't recommend books!

Ahem... sorry.

Hamlet

"A little more than kin and less than kind!"

"Something is rotten rotten in the state of Denmark."

"Thou com'st in such a questionable shape

That I will speak to thee. I'll call thee Hamlet,

King, father, royal Dane. O, answer me!

Let me not burst in ignorance, but tell

Why thy canonized bones, hearsed in death,

Have burst their cerements; why the sepulchre

Wherein we saw thee quietly inurned,

Hath opened his ponderous and marble jaws

To cast thee up again. What may this mean

That thou, dead corse, again in complete steel,

Revisits thus the glimpses of the moon,

Making night hideous, and we fools of nature

So horridly to shake our disposition

With thoughts beyond the reaches of our souls?

Say, why is this? wherefore? What should we do?"

I think I'm one of the few kids in my school who actually enjoys reading Shakespeare. Brilliant guy, ol' Bill.

To be, or not to be: that is the question".

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't.".

"What a piece of work is man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals! ".

"A little more than kin, and less than kind".

"Brevity is the soul of wit".

The works of Shakespeare is a good read for young and old alike.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I'm in the midst of reading Stephen King's "On Writing". It's part memoir, part advice to aspiring authors.

Anybody who fancies himself a writer should read this book.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I'm in the midst of reading Stephen King's "On Writing". It's part memoir, part advice to aspiring authors.

Anybody who fancies himself a writer should read this book.

Stephen King is an amazingly disciplined writer. He's may not be the most talented guy in the writing world, but it's tough to find anyone as consistent. He is a publishers dream writer, always productive.

I am currently re-reading "Arnold Schwarseneggers The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" which has many ups to it despite a good read and learning many new ways of working out you get a workout simply by holding the 10pound book.

Good book. I read the first version of it when I first started lifting weights.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

A Moveable Feast -- Ernest Hemingway

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Currently reading: Michael Moorcok's (damn that language filter) The White Wolf's Son. Or reading and reading, it's sitting on my shelf looking at me while I am not reading it. Not because it's bad, more the other way around. It's a great book and I don't want to read it because then I'll finish it and since it's the last Eternal Champion book ever (a tale 50 years in the making) and the last Elric novel ever, finishing it means the end of so much. I'm not quite ready for that yet. The book is absolutely fantastic though, definitely MM at his best.

Most recently finished: Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, the lates Discworld book to make it into paperback. Holds the same high standards as usual, although it isn't one of my favorites. I still really enjoyed it of course.

Next book to get: David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. I really liked both Ghostwritten and number9dream so I have high hopes for this one. The first two were a bit uneven, but when they were good, they were absolutely awesome.

Before that I'm likely to re-read Willam Gibson's brilliant Pattern Recognition though. I've only read it once and it's about time it gets another read through.

(yes I know I praise all the books above quite a lot, but I'm kinda picky about my writers, so what I do read I am likely to love)

I just finished reading Phantastes by George Macdonald. Twas enjoyable if not short.

Also, i just realised something. when i read stuff written by you guys, i read it in an american accent, but you guys didn't write it that way :( and you all read my stuff in your accents! :)

An A+ certification book. Like to get my computer repair certificate.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I spent all my cash on books :*(

Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Writings by Oscar Wilde

Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Edited by Baley

I spent all my cash on books :thumbsup:(

Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

The Portrait of Dorian Gray and Other Writings by Oscar Wilde

Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

oscar wilde wrote no such book... honest.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...