Books!

Gabrielle

Instead of sabotaging the movie thread lets talk books here. What are you reading now, what do you like to read,etc.

Books that have hero vampires are works written by Anne Rice, before she fell from grace, and others who are not as well known like her. Books by Hamilton and Nancy Kilpatrik have vampire "heros".

Edited by Gabrielle

Terry Pratchett's Small Gods:

"NOW CONSIDER THE TORTOISE AND the eagle.

The tortoise is a ground-living creature. It is impossible to live nearer the ground without being under it. Its horizons are a few inches away. It has about as good a turn of speed as you need to hunt down a lettuce. It has survived while the rest of evolution flowed past it by being, on the whole, no threat to anyone and too much trouble to eat.

And then there is the eagle. A creature of the air and high places, whose horizons go all the way to the edge of the world. Eyesight keen enough to spot the rustle of some small and squeaky creature half a mile away. All power, all control. Lightning death on wings. Talons and claws enough to make a meal of anything smaller than it is and at least take a hurried snack out of anything bigger.

And yet the eagle will sit for hours on the crag and survey the kingdoms of the world until it spots a distant movement and then it will focus, focus, focus on the small shell wobbling among the bushes down there on the desert. And it will leap . . .

And a minute later the tortoise finds the world dropping away from it. And it sees the world for the first time, no longer one inch from the ground but five hundred feet above it, and it thinks: what a great friend I have in the eagle.

And then the eagle lets go.

And almost always the tortoise plunges to its death. Everyone knows why the tortoise does this. Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off. No one knows why the eagle does this. There's good eating on a tortoise but, considering the effort involved, there's much better eating on practically anything else. It's simply the delight of eagles to torment tortoises.

But of course, what the eagle does not realize is that it is participating in a very crude form of natural selection.

One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."

Instead of sabotaging the movie thread lets talk books here. What are you reading now, what do you like to read,etc.

Books that have hero vampires are works written by Anne Rice, before she fell from grace, and others who are not as well known like her. Books by Hamilton and Nancy Kilpatrik have vampire "heros".

That would be at the time of "Interview with a Vampire" right ? :huh:

And It's Nancy Kilpatrick, I've only read "Child of the Night", it was OK, haven't had a chance checkout the rest of "Power of Blood" series.

I'm currrently reading "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" by Richard E. Sontagg, Claus Borngakke and Gordon J. Van wylen.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

I never seem to find the time to read anything except the occasional skimming through a game design manual/book. I got 'Stardust' by Neil Gaiman for Christmas and I read half on the plane here but thats really the only time Ill read- when Im in transit.

Its a shame because books are such a great medium, all you need to publish one is a basic computer with a word processor and an internet connection.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Rereading the Dune series. The original author's kid tried writing a three book prequel to get a handle on the old man's writing style. He ain't quite there yet.

Waiting for the last book of the Drow series to come out in paperback ( because I'm a cheap bastard >_< ). When it comes out, I'll start the set at book one and go through the set ( 6 books ).

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

David Gemmel is my favorite author. He writes great high adventure, and he seems to be just getting better and better over the years. The most recent series is based in the Mediterranean during ancient times,and it's just excellent.

My all time favorite is Master and Margarita by Mikhael Bulgakov.

I recently finished Farenheit 451. It is quite a interesting and philosophical book, in my opinion, and one of the best books I have read in a long time.

I am also reading the short novel Night. It is about the Holocaust. Not quite the best thing you can read on Christmas eve, but I like reading about history.

I have to start the new Harry Potter book sometime in 2006.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam

Very good book, and very provocative.    :D

Just as long as you realise that what you read in that book is not objective and unbiased information.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm reading Tolkien's Quenta Silmarillion. I'm not terrribly interested or amazed, but at least it's epic.

Anyhoo, next I should read a load of Chinese mythology(for a school project), but I have yet to find a good source for it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

My favorite style is what I call science fiction lite, ie, sci-fi that is not too technical or dry, with plenty of fantastical elements, ala Alan Dean Foster or Jack L Chalker. I used to love fantasy too but I finally became a little bored with the whole castles-swords-magic-horses-Kings & Queens routine.

I think Stephen R. Donaldson is fantastic - both novels and short stories. His collection of shorts "Reave the Just" has a few wonderful gems.

Most of the time these days tho, my nose is usually buried in magazines (all kinds), non-fiction (usually psychology oriented) or reference manuals.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm currently reading In the Company of Heroes. It's about CW4 Michael Durant's capture at Mogadishu. It's pretty interesting.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Just finished the unabridged War and Peace last night. Massive work, recommend it if you have the time. Personally I am a fan of Haruki Murakami I loved Norwegian Wood, other then that Patrick White, David Mitchell to name a few contemporary authors. Ha Jin's Waiting was also very good.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I saw the new Wheel of Time at the bookstore, but I'm so lost about the series, I'm not getting it. Starting with Winters Heart, I was just too confused about all the characters to really follow the story. I'd probably need to re-read the entire series to catch up, and that's not going to happen...too many other good writers out there.

New Wheel of Time, eh? What does that make it, the 44th book?

I stopped reading those books at about number five. I just reread Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy, which is most excellent. Not too much other than that, at least not lately.

I want to read the three new Hobb books that supposedly continue the Farseer saga, but I won't do it without rereading the first three. I don't remember much about them except that there was a secret passage and there was some serious sibling rivalry in them, haha.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

New Wheel of Time, eh? What does that make it, the 44th book?

By new Wheel of Time I meant finnish translation which was last part of 8. book in english.

I stopped reading those books at about number five. I just reread Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy, which is most excellent. Not too much other than that, at least not lately.

Liveship Traders was good, but some of it

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.