MP3 Help!!!???

Sereyna

So I was on Apple's website, a mouse-click away from purchasing myself a new $300 Ipod, when it occurred to me that I know next to nothing about MP3 players. Sure, I know they play back music, and even video! Yay! But then I started wondering -- is there an alternative out there that is just as good for, say, half the price? I then went looking at different brands and decided that I am, indeed, clueless.

Any advise on MP3 players? Is Ipod all its cracked up to be, or is there an alternative that is just as good? I am mostly going to be listening to music and wouldnt mind the video playback option , as I sometimes do nothing at my job for hours at a time. If that helps input any. Mostly I hear very good things about the Ipods, though another website i frequent bashes them badly.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Edited by Sereyna

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

You'll find a lot of people belting the "OMG IPOD SUX U SHEEP" button on their keyboards, and that's nice.

I've had very few problems with my iPod and I rather like the seemless integration with iTunes (and indeed my iMac). It's also very easy to use - it has a nice UI and the "clickwheel" makes navigation a piece of piss.

It's worth noting that while the iPod is the only music player that plays stuff from the iTunes music store, it cannot play WMA.

Sorry for going off the topic, but I'm curious. Where's your avatar from/What is it, Synaesthesia?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't have any ipod vs other advice, but if you're mostly interested in something that will play mp3's that you make yourself, you don't need an Ipod...any ol mp3 player with enough memory & 'features' for your purposes will do.

If you want more of the interactive/internet stuff as well, ipod is currently king, tho I think Consumer Reports has reviewed a few others to decent effect.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's worth noting that while the iPod is the only music player that plays stuff from the iTunes music store, it cannot play WMA.

Actually, it is indeed possible to convert WMA files into your iTunes music library. It's just a simple matter of click and drag from the folder where your WMA file is stored, then iTunes will automatically convert it over to another format so it can be played on your iPod :shifty:.

If you have a mac, ipod is the way to go, if not try something from creative, iriver or cowon.

Check the battery life on the players, ipods are notorious for having crappy battery lives. Decide how much space you think you need. Photo and video capability is pretty gimmicky IMO because

1. Whats so good about being able to put photos on your ipod?

2. There is little video content that you can legitimately play on the the little players at the moment.

The colour screen is nice though.

I don't have any ipod vs other advice, but if you're mostly interested in something that will play mp3's that you make yourself, you don't need an Ipod...any ol mp3 player with enough memory & 'features' for your purposes will do.

If you want more of the interactive/internet stuff as well, ipod is currently king, tho I think Consumer Reports has reviewed a few others to decent effect.

very true. i have some kind of samsung thing... hold on, let me get the info... okay, here.

it gets the job done, and i wasn't ever unsatisfied with it... and it was not as much money as that stupid website says... if you really want that ipod-video junk then i guess this one wouldn't help you. and if you want to buy individual songs or whatever on the internet then ipod i guess has a fine interface, but so do other places, you would just need to look a little bit.

i just took my cd's, put them on my com, and then put them on my mp3 player so that i could have my favourites in one place where they wouldn't get scratched. i guess any mp3 player that has even mediocre features would work for me. so think about what features you want and do an hour of internet shopping to see whats what, then choose what you think is best for your needs. sorry if i wrote too much and sounded repetitive, but thats what happens late in the night... icon3.gif

1) I don't own an ipod, nor have I operated one. I am sure they are good in their fashion.

2) If, like me, you are a bit of a cheapskate, bear in mind that you are going to be using the system for a while. I opted for a creative labs muvo because even when it becomes obsolete for playing mp3s it will still function as USB memory storage and as a very convenient dictaphone (and radio although I don't use it). Even before it becomes obsolete the muvo functions as my one-stop-shop gadget, carrying most of my work files, a couple of albums, and recording meetings.

You may not think having a dictaphone is actually much use, but you'd be surprised how they can come in useful. I've used mine to record shirty sales staff, and also to record the tales of aged relatives. I even used it once to record directions from a passer by.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I own a 4gb ipod nano and I'm satisfied so far.

The following is to my experience after 1.5 months of usage.

1. Click-wheel, 'smart playlists', iTunes integration, instant CD importing, On-the-Go playlists are very good. In fact it has best UI solution for managing large number of files I've seen so far (I owned and operated other players).
  2. USB charging is handy
  3. Decent battery life (so far)

On the downside,

1. Nano's surface is very delicate and wears quickly after prolonged usage without any protective cover (the screen is somewhat blurry now because of scratches)
  2. Expensive (though I've got it for birthday :mellow: )
  3. Doesn't have voice recorder and radio
  4. Integrated battery (can't change batteries while travelling and such)

My girlfriend wants the Ipod 30gig video player that you want also. Expensive, but if you have the money im sure you will enjoy it, its a great product i hear. I just have the 6 gig Ipod mini, no colored screen but its a good MP3 player still. Screen isn't easily damaged, it has a metal casing around it. I mostly like it for its size, the job I have makes it convenient to be in my pocket while i work. I also bought a 3yr warranty for it, you might want to do the same if your planning on being rough with your Ipod Video.

Heres some information you might want to check out to compare.DenGuru MP3 Comparisons

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

My only advice would be to stay away from Sony, at least until they sort out that horrible software of theirs.

I had a mini disk player and loved it, the software was bad though i agree, I i had to convert files from whatever to ATRAC. Sonic Stage was the software, the cons on their software is that they try to regulate the customer from burning music to CD's, saving your library means you have to register your library, and the last register you have are the songs that will be saved. They do now support MP3's miraculously. The software is pretty and wel organized but lacks extra functions. I love how easily it is to burn a CD on Itunes, and how Itunes has a music store.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

My only advice would be to stay away from Sony, at least until they sort out that horrible software of theirs.

I had a mini disk player and loved it, the software was bad though i agree, I i had to convert files from whatever to ATRAC. Sonic Stage was the software, the cons on their software is that they try to regulate the customer from burning music to CD's, saving your library means you have to register your library, and the last register you have are the songs that will be saved. They do now support MP3's miraculously. The software is pretty and wel organized but lacks extra functions. I love how easily it is to burn a CD on Itunes, and how Itunes has a music store.

I have the NW-HD5 mp3 player and I would have loved it if Sony had made managing music files as well as my iriver did before I dropped it. The iriver was so simple, just copy & paste or move the files onto the disk. No software required.