Blade thread

tarna

Considering this crowd ( and the fact that we keep spamming other peoples' threads up ), I thought Blades deserved their own thread. Post your pics here of the blades you have or just your fantasy blades.

Here's a pic of the two favorites that I own and a link to the one ( made by the same guys ) that I really want to get.

http://www.badgerblades.com/html/katana_bronze.html

Screw it! I can't get the attachments to take my photo so I'll give you guys the link.

http://www.badgerblades.com/html/katana_all_steel.html

I also have a blade that Badger called the 'Mantis Blade' that he modelled after So-Rim Kung-Fu which I started taking shortly afterwards. If I can get the damned attachments to work, I'll post a pic of it and my belt-buckle knife.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Okay, I'll start up the pictures tomorrow on all this stuff. For the time being, I will catalogue the items:

3 piece Katana set, including the katana, wakasashi, and tanto

2 ball chain mace

1 dagger

1 battle axe

1 Shillelagh

1 broad sword

1 theater prop broad sword

If I get a picture of nothing else on here, I really need to post a pic of the chain mace. It look kind of silly, but someone was playing around with it once and cracked a board with the damned thing. Heh. It's a bruiser, alright.

The dagger is a pain, since I actually have to oil it from time to time and clean it. I have this little brush I use for the hilt. I wouldn't want to use the dagger to defend myself with it, but it could really put a hurting on someone.

I have the paper-work for the broadsword somewhere around here. It's from badger blades, but it doesn't look like any of the ones on the webpage, so maybe my sister was had. Still, in terms of dimensions and shape, I'd say it fits the broadsword category.

The theater prop broad sword I literally stole from my high school production of Camelot. It's a silly looking thing, but it's made out of stainless steel and has quite a heft to it. I shouldn't have stolen it, I admit, but that was some 20 years ago.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'd like to point out that if I am not mistaken the correct term for a ball (spikes or spikeless) on the end of a chain attached to a handle is a flail. A mace is a similar weighted blunt or spiked instrument, attached directly to the handle. A Morning Star is a flail sans handle.

Google Image Search backs me up if you would like to check yourself.

Edited by Child of Flame

I only have two wooden practice swords. One is made out of ebony or blackwood and is quite heavy. The other is a light and cheap one you can find at any store.

I received the ebony one when I was living at a Buddhist temple for a year. The head monk taught me some basics which was my duty to practice everyday. I went from unhealthy asthmatic to limber teenager within a few months swinging that sword around.

Ahh..that was a good year.

katana.jpg

This is my Katana, its not a fantasy blade. Its 73cm of differentialy hardened carbon steel that is sharp enough to sever limbs and heads.

its not a real katana however, its a Paul Chen "practical katana" made in china. but its still meant to cut with.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No "real" weapons for me, just machine-made items. >_< Here's what I do have:

Anduril

Narsil

Uruk-Hai sword

Katana

Tai-Chi (like a katana, but a little longer)

Battleaxe

Multi-function katana (includes an attacheable spearhead, throwing stars, throwing knives, and blunt striking object, all built into one item)

triple-ball flail

nunchucks

I did meet this one guy who sells real katanas, blacksmith-made, and can actually cut. I'm considering getting one in the future once I have the money. Until then, I'll stick with the cheaper, easier-to-care-for ones.

^Get a gun.

For the owners of the blades out there: if a robber were to break into your house (since you're not going to carry the blades around anyway), how far would you go to stop the robber?

Would seriously hurting or killing the person and the legal consequences be at the back of your mind or would you go all out berserk?

A real fight would mean stopping your opponent's ability to attack or harm you. The faster and the fewer hits the better I suppose, but with blades and guns that could be considered "excessive force".

For that reason I was thinking that training in a blunt weapon would be better. Breaking/cracking bones might be preferable to cleaning up the mess later I suppose.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

That's why everyone should have a wood practice sword with the approximate weight and balance of a real one.

You can use it like a sword, but it deals crushing damage. It even hurts when stabbing someone with it.

I actually thought someone had broken in one time when I was jolted out of my sleep by a crashing sound. I reached for my ebony practice sword(so the intruder would have a harder time seeing what was trying to hit him) and carefully crept out of my room.

I saw a man wearing only his tighty whities pissing all over my mother's plants. WTF? was my natural reaction as I sneaked up behind him. As I got closer though I recognized him as one of my father's friends. Turns out my father had brought home with him after a night out of drinking. He couldn't find the bathroom being in his intoxicated state and well...you have to go when you have to go.

We had a good laugh about it the next morning.

^Get a gun.

For the owners of the blades out there: if a robber were to break into your house (since you're not going to carry the blades around anyway), how far would you go to stop the robber?

Would seriously hurting or killing the person and the legal consequences be at the back of your mind or would you go all out berserk?

Death. I wouldn't hurt them. They may sue you and you may have other stupid legal crap levied against you. If this person is dead, the police will have to take your word and the evidence that you were protecting yourself from someone who had intent to do you bodily harm.

You people have seen too many 80s action films. If you find someone in your house who shouldnt be there, you call the police. You could also try to tell the intruders to leave.

Contary to what FOXnews and the NRA wil tell you, this tactic will prove successful in 99% of all cases ;) if youre in the US, the burglar will assume you have a gun even if you dont.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If someone broke into my house, I wouldn't have to do much of anything. The three swords, two daggers, throwing star, axe, and my mom's pistol should be enough to send them running. Of course, the pistol hasn't been cleaned, let alone used, since she left the air force, but then I suppose they wouldn't know that. As for my swords, they're perfectly sharp; I accidentally impaled my bed last night. Last time I play with that one. :blink:"

sig2.gif

I wouldn't want to use anything to defend myself. If I thought I could frighten or, just as likely, persuade someone to leave quietly, I would. I don't want to kill anyone. For any reason. If I felt I had to use one, I'd gab the dagger or a kitchen knife before I grabbed some strange sword I don't know how to use properly.

What's funny is that, regardless of all the weapon I have around here, I haven't ever bought one for myself. The closest I have ever come to buying a blade for myself is the fake broadsword, and I stole that from high school. You really have to see this. I'm waiting for the wife and family to get home from Legoland to take a picture of all this stuff. I don't know how I'll get it in the same frame, but I'll be creative.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The one Uruk Hai sword replica I have is in fact pretty sharp. I know, as my brother cut himself on it before. And let me tell you, the thing is like a giant machete. I guaruntee it would be enough to send any burglar running. And the triple-ball flail could definitely do some damage if swung around.

Edited by Mothman