DirectX10 Preview W/ Farcry demo

WITHTEETH

DirectX10 Demo

So what do you think?!

Its going to take alot of horse power!

Just look at the detail at the soldier moving through the plant, the plant isn't stiff, it moves as if it was a plant along with the shadow, it even sways afterwards... what did you guys think of the building destruction? or night and day?

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

...Bastards...making me want to spent money I don't have on an ultra high end video card to support all this crap. ;)

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Most of that stuff(clouds, destruction, etc) is in Mercenaries already.

Nothing to go 'wow' about.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Very impressive, but I think most of that is due to the efforts of Crytechs graphics programmers and not DirectX10

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm tending to attribute the prettiness or otherwise of my games to my new graphics cards and the graphics programmers rather than Microsoft. Bill Gates did not make my water shiny, however much he may have wanted to.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm tending to attribute the prettiness or otherwise of my games to my new graphics cards and the graphics programmers rather than Microsoft.  Bill Gates did not make my water shiny, however much he may have wanted to.

No but the addition of programmable vertex and pixel shaders through the use of HLSL in the DX pipeline did make the whole process of implementing shiney water and such effects quicker and easier to implement.

So as microsoft gave programmers better tools to create such effects you can't help but be forced to give them kudos for it. Direct X really changed the way games are developed on the PC.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Very impressive, but I think most of that is due to the efforts of Crytechs graphics programmers and not DirectX10

Bit of both, DX10 is a programmers tool, the tool is better so the codes result looks better... so it's a bit of both, I'd say the result is just the beginning of what will be possible with DX10.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

How can you not be impressed by that?

Although.. I've seen that demo already. Someone has posted that movie on this board already, I am sure of it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yep, it's been posted before. Under the title 'Far Cry 2', I recall.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Great graphics in a game only makes half the game.  Pretty, but not impressed.

Most times I'd agree with you, Vis. But in Far Cry the exterior environments WERE part of the gameplay. They made the game better than in would have been both in terms of spectacle and immersion and also tactically. 3d graphics are closing in on the point where they will bring games an entirely new level of realism resulting in an altogether new dynamic of gameplay. Before too long we wil be looking back on such great games as Thief and Deus Ex and System SHock 2 and wondering how we ever could have been so immersed in such plastic, empty gameworlds.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Dream on....

kirottu said:

If noone would dream, no progress would ever be made.

You sit and reek in your stagnant, bypassed, bitter world and watch in envy at the freedom the new technology brings, while being caged in your tiny Planescape maps.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But all this tech brings a significant problem, games are going to end up costing the same to produce as a hollywood film and that means only giants like EA or Microsoft will be able to finance games.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If noone would dream, no progress would ever be made.

You sit and reek in your stagnant, bypassed, bitter world and watch in envy at the freedom the new technology brings, while being caged in your tiny Planescape maps.

:lol:

kirottu said:

The point I was trying to throw to someone's face, was that seeing the direction the biz is headed I doubt we'll be able to look back at Deus Ex or Thief or say...Planescape(as I seem to be labeled as a fan) and call their enviroments plastic anytime soon. Sure, there's some promise, like fer instance Oblivion or SoC, but those games don't sell. Needforspeeds and dancing games do.

kirottu said:

But all this tech brings a significant problem, games are going to end up costing the same to produce as a hollywood film and that means only giants like EA or Microsoft will be able to finance games.

:( How so, what is so exclusive about code?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg