I flunked my first exam

Darth_Schmarth

Alright, I've basically been working my arse off lately, so my studies have suffered. With 1000+ pages of course literature to swallow I really should have been doing some reading in the last couple of months, but instead I've tried to cram it into less than a week and the result was (probably) not so hot. I have never failed an exam before so I'm a bit gutted at the moment because the area of study feels so broad. I guess it's no big deal since there's a re-take in January, but I still feel a bit angry at myself at the moment.... <_<

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

Its ok Schmarthie, if youre working that means youre not on studiemedel and so what you do at Uni doesnt really matter anyway, noone is going to care if you have 15 points of Filmvetenskap A instead of 20. In fact, when it comes to Filmvetenskap, theyre not going to care if you have 120 or 0...

:blink:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Film. The exam was on basically the whole film history including detailed knowledge on a number of theorists and course films that I... er... kinda skipped. Like I said I've been working too much. Can't say no to save my life.

Well, Kaftan, I suppose that you're right. It's just that I'm one of those people who like to get VG (and usually do), so it's a bit of a shock to me.

Edited by Darth_Schmarth

re-take? only place we ever heard of re-take for exams were stanford, where they figure that if a student fails a course it must be the professors fault. wacky, but we guess if you is paying as much as you is for a stanford degree, you can demand some minimal learning from the institution... or not.

is this your first semester? Gromnir recalls our firstest semester. 'tween football and full course load and labs n' such, we managed to get a couple of marks that we were less than proud of. thought we were really good at managing our time... up until we gots to university.

we got back on track after semester one, but our firstest experience in college were... humbling.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think he means to retake the course, Grommie.

I remember my first semester at ISU. I should never have taken that 400 level philosphy class after being out of school for about 5 years. :blink:

Yeah, getting a bad grade is definitely a kick in the crotch, but you refocus and get yourself back onthe horse. Also when you do retake the course make sure you take it with a different teacher. First time I took Native American Literature I got a D. The professor was a smug git teaching his own work which meant there was only one interpretation. Second time I took the class I got a A-. The proffessor on the second time around was teaching different authors and actual chosen literature that was interesting and informative.

Swede university is a bit different(nazi), you can only get two grades- pass and pass well. If you fail, its like you never took the class in the first place, its an empty space and you cant graduate without passing all classes. Thats why they let you retake tests. The limit for passing is also about where you americans have your grade B, so everyone is pretty much guaranteed to have to retake some tests.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

anybody who wants to do post-grad had better be concerned with grades n' such. med school, law school, masters program, teaching credentials, grant programs and any number o' other thingies require a person to maintain or excel as far as grades is concerned... but one semester won't kill you. we gradated in three years, and one disappointing semester did not prevent us from following further academic pursuits.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, there is universiteis in the US that does the pass/fail thing... but if you wanna go post-grad, you gotta request grades anyways... am not seeing how it would be different in sweden.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I do a combination of both really. I do the assignments and take notes during the course of the semester, then do cram sessions of the topics when needed. Of course the class needs to be interesting for me to begin with. If I find the class boring I tend to drift away.

Edited by Judge Hades

but if you wanna go post-grad, you gotta request grades anyways... am not seeing how it would be different in sweden.

Mum says that you need to have read and passed 60weeks of Uni whereof some classes must have been in the same subject that youll be taking your postgrad

I know it sounds very nice and free and so on but thats just because Im too afraid to write about the bad nazi parts(dont want to be reminded)

not make sense... unless sweden education is so terribly socialized that there ain't no ranking of med school programs or law school programs or graduate study course. all the same. even so, some schools, simply because of the profs teaching there or quality/age of facilities or geographic locations, have to be more appealing than others. more people is gonna apply to the more prestigious schools and there has gots to be a way of choosing why swede A gets a seat in class as opposed to swede B. have lottery?

even if you not gots your Harvards and your Yales compared to your University of Wisconsins, there has got to be schools that swedelings would prefer to attend.

we spent some considerable time in euope cultivating familiarity with higher education in england and ireland and spain, but our knowledge o' swedish education is pretty much nil. just seems so... alien.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Which course you're admitted to and which you're not is up to grades from how you fared at Gymnasium level, which is age 16-19. Then there's a test that can totally bypass all your grades, so you can basically be a lazy arse for three years and still get admitted to any education thanks to two hours' worth of effort.

My re-take in January will be a similar exam only with changed questions, so half the reason I even attended this exam was to get an idea of what the thing looked like. The aims of this course are so broad and/or unclear that I didn't have the slightest of clues as to what I could expect; now at least I know how the darn thing is designed.

Yay! Yet another opportunity to use my favourite smilie: kiss.gif

DL

P.S. I am genuinely sorry that you failed your exams and I do hope that the smilie does provide you with some comfort... if it doesn't then perhaps the fact that I'm going to destroy what life I have by planning on doing a Masters next year will ( :'( )... good luck with your resit Schmarthiepoo :):)

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Yay! Yet another opportunity to use my favourite smilie: kiss.gif

Well, I really appreciate it Launch, but isn't the smiley who gets the kiss supposed to look kinda gutted?

It's gripped! It's sorted! Let's re-take!

if it makes you feel any better i've probably flunked half my classes over the past year :)

Well, somehow it actually does make me feel better. :D

Well, I really appreciate it Launch, but isn't the smiley who gets the kiss supposed to look kinda gutted?

No... the smilie is happy because he's forgetting his worries and is getting a nice kiss... everyone smiles when they get a kiss :)

Hee hee... does that make me Lyndsay and you Simon... or is it the other way round?

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

It's the other way around.

Zing.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

No... the smilie is happy because he's forgetting his worries and is getting a nice kiss... everyone smiles when they get a kiss :)

Well then it should look sad and then shine up a bit when it gets the kiss (am I demanding too much from this?).

Hee hee... does that make me Lyndsay and you Simon... or is it the other way round?

I sort of imagine myself as Simon when I say it, but at least being Lyndsey you get to wear the hat.

Edited by Darth_Schmarth

I just stumble into topics, read the last post, and reply.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.