Lazy moderation?

213374U

You guessed it! This is yet another rant from none other than the infamously charming, mod-bashing, warning-winning board terrorist, yours truly.

To be fair, this is only about one mod in particular, not all of them, but still. I have noticed that Battlewookie is prompt to close certain kinds of threads, namely the K3 threads, and any thread that has any resemblance of an unfavorable opinion regarding Lucasarts.

While I understand (and appreciate) his acting on the K3 threads, I'm not quite so happy about the LA threads. I'm specifically referring to the KotOR 2 did get the shaft!!! thread that only lasted for a few hours (and the poll that followed it which lasted even less). While this thread certainly had plenty of LA bashing in it, that was not its primary aim, or at least I didn't understand it as such.

But anyway, I PM'd BW about it, asking him to prune the thread of bashing, put a warning so as to prevent any more of it, and reopen it. Well, I'm still waiting for him to even reply to my PM. Surely anyone can understand why I'd be reluctant to waste any more of my time PM'ing him further when I've been outright ignored before.

I mean, sure, a single poster bashing LA is excuse for closing a thread, but well... I think that if a thread can be saved, it's the mod's responsability to do so, as other mods often do. Just locking it and ignoring any questions about it passes for very, very lazy moderation.

But yeah, I know. Nobody would want to continue this debate, because I'm "well adept at sparring", but that's not going to prevent me from trying, right? :huh:

Edited for completion. :devil:

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Remember this line in the poll

Locked untill further notice...

And this line in the forum guidelines

Moderators: Should you find posts that seem inappropriate, please feel free to let our moderators know. If you have an issue with the moderators, please use our private messaging system to message the moderator or administrator. Personal issues between moderators and users may not be posted publicly (nor through avatar or signature use) and will be deleted without notice.

Ive also been known to have very low tolerance for K3 threads, I remember one user was so upset that he stopped talking to me after I put the smackdown on his thread.

But thing is, K3 threds have one place an one lace only where they belong and that is http://forums.lucasarts.com/index.jspa

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

Remember this line in the poll

Locked untill further notice...

I don't remember seeing that the first time I saw the lockdown message, but whatever.

And this line in the forum guidelines

Moderators: Should you find posts that seem inappropriate, please feel free to let our moderators know. If you have an issue with the moderators, please use our private messaging system to message the moderator or administrator. Personal issues between moderators and users may not be posted publicly (nor through avatar or signature use) and will be deleted without notice.

I know. That's why I PM'd you first, remember? :lol:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yes, but did you give him time to respond.  Wait at least two to three days, numberman.  This place isn't McDonald's.

Agreed. Even when someone is online, it's hard to get all the way through the PMs. I hear some people have very busy inboxes, and I imagine its doubly so for mods. As for the K3 threads, the mods have stated before that all K3 threads except for the official one will be locked to reduce clutter. Cookie was just following orders there (though I think we all like that idea anyway).

sig2.gif

For those of you that are reading-impaired:

While I understand (and appreciate) his acting on the K3 threads[...]

And no, I don't buy the "very busy inbox" excuse. If they have time to browse forums and lock down threads, I'm going to assume they have time to read their PMs. A simple "we're looking into it" would have been enough.

But if I wait (2-3 days!), the topic in question will be more than buried when it gets reopened and it will not be worth it anyway.

Sorry, nobody said that being a mod was going to be easy.

For those of you that are reading-impaired:
While I understand (and appreciate) his acting on the K3 threads[...]

The very fact that you brought it up in the first place suggested that you appreciated the act, but still thought it odd. None of the other comments said anything about you not appreciating it, but stated that it was the rule.

sig2.gif

Some of the mods are overkill on their little powers that they have been granted.  I've already voiced complaints to the higher powers about this.

Oh without a doubt. I'll never forget when a certain someone (who I will not name) got his powers. I don't think there were ten threads open when I went to bed. But in this particular case, I have yet to see evidence of a power trip.

sig2.gif

Okay, Obligatory rules posting:

If Battlewookie did not respond to your PM, PM a different moderator. Preferably a global moderator (Fionavar, Antimatter, Hydrogen, or Tarna), who can deal with a problem in any forum, or a moderator with access to that particular forum.

Posting publically regarding an issue with a moderator or a moderator's decision is against forum rules.

With that said, I'm going to post my take on this matter, and the matter of moderation criticism on the whole.

First on this matter, Battlewookie does not live in the US and has a timezone different than your own. It is very likely that he did not recieve your PM right away, or that he was to busy to read it at the time. I'm glad that you sent the PM first, but disappointed that you thought it would be more efficient to go on a rant in the forums rather than PM a different moderator. You cannot claim ignorance to the rule regarding public debate of moderation, I know you've discussed it before - you disregarded it.

On the matter of criticism towards moderators, I'm glad that you have the courtesy to expressely direct the criticism towards the moderator, and not post vague comments in a sort of veiled insult. Moderators should be held accountable, but that is not a public accountability. You have no idea how much he said, she said goes on over such a trivial matter as a forum and what should be a simple matter of PMing the moderator you have a problem with. Its actually funny.

The very fact that you brought it up in the first place suggested that you appreciated the act, but still thought it odd.  None of the other comments said anything about you not appreciating it, but stated that it was the rule.

You're reading too much into my post. Surely you have heard of juxtaposition?

But in this particular case, I have yet to see evidence of a power trip.

Go ahead and read the thread then, and tell me it wasn't worth of being kept open. I just got the feeling that BW flies on auto pilot when it comes to threads that mention LA.

First on this matter, Battlewookie does not live in the US and has a timezone different than your own.  It is very likely that he did not recieve your PM right away, or that he was to busy to read it at the time.  I'm glad that you sent the PM first, but disappointed that you thought it would be more efficient to go on a rant in the forums rather than PM a different moderator.  You cannot claim ignorance to the rule regarding public debate of moderation, I know you've discussed it before - you disregarded it.

Wrong.

As a matter of fact, BW lives in a time zone close to my own, perhaps the same. You see, I'm European, and if I'm not mistaken he is too. Mind you, I PM'd him when he was still online.

Furthermore, when I posted this, none of the global mods were online, due to the very time zone issues you speak of. I "went on a rant" because there was little else I could do.

And yeah, I knowingly, purposefully and deliberately disregarded the guidelines. But when not even you guys are "bound to a corporate read of the guidelines, but rather the intent", these things are bound to happen from time to time. ;)

You have no idea how much he said, she said goes on over such a trivial matter as a forum and what should be a simple matter of PMing the moderator you have a problem with.  Its actually funny.

Uh... what? :wub:

Edited by 213374U

Please feel free to use the PM process to discuss board moderation. I and all of mods are more than open to discuss such topics in that manner.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: