Weapon Thread

11XHooah

The funny thing about these is that if you fire too many rounds within a certain period of time, the barrel will get so hot that it will actually melt. We had that happen during FTX when one of the machinegunners was laying down suppressing fire. So what you have to do is periodically swap out the barrel when putting down heavy fire for an extended period of time.

that seems really weird to me, since i normally don't think about gun barrels melting. could they make a heat resistant metal alloy to use in stead? or is it just not worth the expense, e.g. two normal melting barrels cost less than a heat resistant one would...

iirc You are correct.

1) Several replacements are better

2) Any barrel develops wear and tear from firing. So you have to replace at some point anyway.

3) Most non water-cooled Mgs have replaceable barrels for sustained fire.

I seem to remember that the Italian MG from ww2 had no handle for grasping the barrels so you had to swap out one that was red hot, with bits of cloth!

...Ah my mis-spent youth...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Look at the size of those balls!

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

iirc You are correct.

1) Several replacements are better

2) Any barrel develops wear and tear from firing. So you have to replace at some point anyway.

3) Most non water-cooled Mgs have replaceable barrels for sustained fire.

I seem to remember that the Italian MG from ww2 had no handle for grasping the barrels so you had to swap out one that was red hot, with bits of cloth!

...Ah my mis-spent youth...

that sounds cool to me. i've never heard of a water-cooled one though. also sounds sveet. do you have a link to a good looking one?

Here's a fun one. The MK19 40mm grenade launcher:

SPC%20Ellision%20MK19.jpg

:blink:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

standard.jpg

One water-cooled maxim gun. The water gets pretty hot though. Tommies used to seakily use them for boiling water for tea. Which meant the oppo could see your MG points and plot them for arty, but you need tea more than life, yes?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That Moscow 600mm cannon has never been fired or used in combat, it's practicley nothing but another statue.

But I agree wolf, just look at the size of those balls..... >_<

600mm, **** me... just think of what an impact would do (given 50mm cannons can tear the engines of a bomber aircraft)

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

The new MIG-31, it can do 3000 km/h and its radars can "see" enemy approaching at 200 km distance, with a few of these flying parallel but 200 km apart, who needs AWACS! :(

mig31-4.jpg

And the new MIG-35 has stealth capabilities, with the canard, wing and fuselage structures incorporating carbon-fiber and polymer composite materials. Other stealth features include radar-absorbing covering, screening of radar-visible structure elements, and reduced heat signature. The fifth-generation pulse-doppler radar has a phased-array andtenna with electronic scanning to simultaneously attack over 20 targets.....the production was canceled due to, yes you guessed, insufficient funds <_<

MIG35.JPG