Weapon Thread

11XHooah

Now for my WW2 favorites:

thompson_rifle.jpg

The M1A1 Thompson

M1Garand.jpg

And the M1 Garand

Beautiful, aren't they :blink:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

we need to get Mr. Kalashnikov back to making guns :'(

magyar.gif

Those guns really look the business, but I hear the performance is to be laughed at.

actually the performance is quite good. It could out perform the origional M16's in any condition.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Those guns really look the business, but I hear the performance is to be laughed at.

I don't know where you heard that :blink: , but if its performance was laughable then it certainly wouldn't be the number one assault rifle since 1947...

Here's the world's finnest submarine, the new $3.2 billion seawolf-class submarine:

jimmy-carter-50.jpg

we need to get Mr. Kalashnikov back to making guns :'(

magyar.gif

actually the performance is quite good. It could out perform the origional M16's in any condition.

Really? I heard the AK-47 has one of the all time lowest accuracies for an assault rifle, having not taken it to be a factor in the design.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

The Russian AK-47 is much for durable than its American counterpart...the original M-16 issued during the Vietnam conflict would get jammed if even the slightest bit of dirt were to get into its parts (Soldiers actually started to tie condoms onto the tops of their rifles to protect them) whereas the AK could be buried in muck for a few days, picked up, and fired without any problem.

AK's Strength - It's simplicity of design.

M-16's Strength - Superior accuracy.

AK's Weakness - Accuracy is...not so good at range.

M-16's Weakness - Inherent complexity/too many moving parts.

Also, the AK is much better for melee combat, having a much, much heavier wood and steel frame, where the M-16 is made of space-age plastic.

Basically:

AK = Machine gun with rifle capability.

M-16 = Rifle with machine gun capability.

Which one is better depends on the situation in which you're using the weapon.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

The Russian AK-47 is much for durable than its American counterpart...the original M-16 issued during the Vietnam conflict would get jammed if even the slightest bit of dirt were to get into its parts (Soldiers actually started to tie condoms onto the tops of their rifles to protect them) whereas the AK could be buried in muck for a few days, picked up, and fired without any problem.

AK's Strength - It's simplicity of design.

M-16's Strength - Superior accuracy.

AK's Weakness - Accuracy is...not so good at range.

M-16's Weakness - Inherent complexity/too many moving parts.

Also, the AK is much better for melee combat, having a much, much heavier wood and steel frame, where the M-16 is made of space-age plastic.

Basically:

AK = Machine gun with rifle capability.

M-16 = Rifle with machine gun capability.

Which one is better depends on the situation in which you're using the weapon.

greatness always has bugs at first.... besides ITS A RIFLE NOT A SWORD

if you can't use a rifle at range its not a rifle and i would hope your goal is not to use a dam rifle for melee :)

your right its a great gun (unchanged since creation) and classic soviet design (dependable in all conditions and efficient)

kinda... The 47 is what is so popular because the soviets were making them by the thousand for years. Thus when they had an economic crash they sold as many as they could.

The 47 also had some problems in building them. Mainly that they took a block of steel and then just cut it into the right shape and size. the 74 fixes this by the fact that it has machined pieces like the m16 and it also has a longer barrel (allowing for better acc.). The 74 is not used as much because it's a russian only rifle and the russians are not exactly what we'd call military marvels that everyone knows about. (tho the spetznaz rock!) over all the 74 just took somthing good and made it better.

On a side note Kalashnikov (the designer of the AK 47) made his first gun during WWII but it was turned down because of some buracratic reason. His first gun was much better than the ones that the soviets used during the Stalingrad fight.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Am I right fellas? I mean, am I right?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.