Psionics

Llyranor

It seems that everytime a DnD CRPG is announced, psionics is one of the things requested, yet never gets considered.

Not being a PnPer, I have no idea what psionics is. I've looked up it, but have gotten mostly vague stuff. What exactly is psionics? Some sort of psychic magic? Can anyone learn psionic? If yes, how so? Through books, masters, or what? If not, are you born with this power?

Bop.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It seems that everytime a DnD CRPG is announced, psionics is one of the things requested, yet never gets considered.

Not being a PnPer, I have no idea what psionics is. I've looked up it, but have gotten mostly vague stuff. What exactly is psionics? Some sort of psychic magic? Can anyone learn psionic? If yes, how so? Through books, masters, or what? If not, are you born with this power?

Bop.

Yep, it's psychic powers. Who can aquire it has changed with the editions of D&D. IIRC, 1e D&D required that you have an 18 in intelligence and wisdom, rolled a 99-100 on a d%, and even then you had very limited abilities.

In third edition it's much easier. Just like with becoming a sorceror, you need to be born with the power, but aquire it through class levels. Thus, anyone can become a psionic (provided you meet the ability requirements, which is probably something like 11 WIS or INT), and you're just assumed to have been born with the power and are only now manifesting it.

You get various powers like telekinesis, ESP, and attacking abilities like "Mind blast" (can't remember exactly what that does, though).

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Ive played with another player playing a psionic character in our uni D&D game and I have to say that it doesnt belong in either the PnP or CRPG form of D&D

Most of its powers works just like their magic counterparts except enemies get no Spell Resistance which is very bad for balance

but the worst thing is that it brings "instakill" spells that completely ruin the fun of battles. if an enemy fails his willsave, he dies, end of story. Sure, the GM can nerf the rolls but how fun is that?

That character got retired.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It fits well into D&D, it is essentially just a slightly rewritten variation of magic. Most of the psionic spells are just altered regular spells. But they are best suited for human "targets" the notion of using mind tricks on unintelligent monsters or inhuman outsiders is a bit dodgy

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I remember really REALLY disliking those pesky mindflayers in BG. I didn't realise they permanently drained your INT. It was only much much later that I realised my main character had become a cretin. Yuck.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

In 3(.5) edition, Psionics is game mechanically just an alternative magic-system. And a better one at that, IMHO, though I've yet to use it much.

@ Kaftan Barblast:

Per the books, Psionics should be either affected by SR, or every creature having SR should also have an equal amount of PR (Power resistance, SR for psionics). My guess is that you were playing it wrongly... The huge majority of psionic abilities are also just basic spells in a different system, so there shouldn't be any more save-or-die stuff than the basic spells have.

Though whether you use the 3 or 3.5 version makes a big difference as well.

@ Kaftan Barblast:

Per the books, Psionics should be either affected by SR, or every creature having SR should also have an equal amount of PR (Power resistance, SR for psionics). My guess is that you were playing it wrongly... The huge majority of psionic abilities are also just basic spells in a different system, so there shouldn't be any more save-or-die stuff than the basic spells have.

Though whether you use the 3 or 3.5 version makes a big difference as well.

I dont actually know that much as only the GM ad the player who had a psionic char knew the full extent of the rules. They stated that spell resistance was not enough as psionics werent really magic. And she often used a power that I think is called "psychic crush" that will instantly kill an opponent if he fails his willsave. ordinary spells with "instakill" power are always limited to only working on low HD creatures or requiring a ranged touched attack or similar.

I dont actually know that much as only the GM ad the player who had a psionic char knew the full extent of the rules. They stated that spell resistance was not enough as psionics werent really magic.

Well, you can basically go either way with it. Making SR simply not affect it only works if you give PR to creatures that have SR and make getting PR items as easy as getting SR items. Basically it seems your GM purposefully gave a _huge_ bonus to that PC.

The basic rule, in any case, is that SR==PR... In other words, SR works against psionics.

And she often used a power that I think is called "psychic crush" that will instantly kill an opponent if he fails his willsave. ordinary spells with "instakill" power are always limited to only working on low HD creatures or requiring a ranged touched attack or similar.

Psychic Crush

Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]

Level: Psion/wilder 5

Display: Auditory

Manifesting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)

Target: One creature

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Will partial; see text

Power Resistance: Yes

Power Points: 9

Your will abruptly and brutally crushes the mental essence of any one creature, debilitating its acumen. The target must make a Will save with a +4 bonus or collapse unconscious and dying at

That's pretty much like Finger of Death on steroids. ;)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds