I finally cancelled X-Box LIVE

Cantousent

You know, to cancel my City of Heroes/Villains account, I have only to go to their website. To cancel XBox LIVE, I had to call an 800 number and wait to talk to someone who wasn't particularly friendly. He wasn't particularly rude, mind you, but it's not like he sounded like a happy camper. Hey, working the phones at 9pm PST probably isn't everyone's idea of fun, but that's not the point.

Anyhow, he asked why I was cancelling. I said I've enjoyed my XBox but that I don't use the XBox LIVE feature enough to warrant the expense. He didn't argue with me, but I think this was a mistake on Microsoft's part. After all, while making it a pain to cancel keeps the lazy customer around for a while longer, but imparting the lasting impression that cancelling the service will be a pain in the backside keeps the lazy customer from trying your service again. I know that I'm not very likely to give it a try any time soon. Also, they charge yearly. They should put it on a monthly basis. Hell, if it works for online games, it should work for console online.

XBox LIVE is a great idea. I have used it and, if Microsoft didn't have such a weird setup, I'd try it again. Too bad they want to make it hard to quit because it makes it all that less likely I'll start it again in the first place.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

From my experience on the beta, its pretty much identical to City of Heroes, only it doesn't take you 3 months to gain a level.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I prefer being a hero, but a couple of friends wanted to play it. I think CoH/CoV is a great game. If you're ever on the Pinnacle server, find the hero Eldara in Paragon City or the villainous Dark Thel, Aristes, or Eldara's Evil Sister in the Rogue Isles.

I wrote a long account of my CoH experience here:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=1874&hl=

I wouldn't modify much of what I said, and that was over a year ago.

I team with Calax fairly often and Shadowstrider once in a blue moon. I put in most of my time on CoV right now because of family/friends who want to play that one, but I'll probably do more playing on CoH after the novelty of being a damned villain wears off.

Mileage may vary, but I recommend the City of Heroes and City of Villain combination to anyone. You still have to buy both titles to play both games, but the monthly fee is the same price whether you have one or both.

One thing I didn't mention in my initial review is that the support team keeps adding new content. Some of the additions are minor, but some of them are rather major. You don't need the CD to run the game, so I loaded it on my Brother in Law's computer and all he has to pay is the monthly fee which, considering how much enjoyment he gets out of the game, he doesn't mind paying at all.

Finally, it's easy to cancel and restart. I know because I did exactly that. When things were too busy for me to play computer games, I cancellled the service to stop paying for it. Unlike XBOX LIVE, I only had to go to the website for the request. When I had more time, I went back and signed back into the service. I was gone for three months, but my characters were still there and all my server-side settings were still in effect. Very nice.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't think LIVE is a bad service. Microsoft just handled its cancellation policy poorly.

Obsidian Plays