GameSpot's Best and Worst of 2005 Awards!

Guest MacLeodCorp

Guest MacLeodCorp

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141367.html

Did you spend 2005 on a remote Peace Corps assignment, totally cut off from all gaming news and reviews? No problem. Now you can catch up, as GameSpot has announced its nominees for the Best and Worst of 2005 awards. Categories range from Special Achievement Awards like Best Original Music and Most Outrageous Game to Dubious Honors such as Worst Trend and Most Long-Winded Game Title. The best games in each genre and on each platform will also be honored, as will the overall best game of the year.

Starting at 5 p.m. Pacific Time on December 20, GameSpot will begin bestowing honors on 2005's most famous (and infamous) games, beginning with the Special Achievement Awards. Each day, the winners of a new category will be announced, culminating in the Christmas Day crowning of GameSpot's 2005 Game of the Year. Past Games of the Year include World of Warcraft (2004) and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

Best Role-Playing Game

Dragon Quest VIII (PlayStation 2)

Guild Wars (PC)

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Game Boy Advance)

Riviera: The Promised Land (Game Boy Advance)

I keep searching the list, but I can't find KotOR II... Did I miss something!!!

Edited by MacLeodCorp

Did you spend 2005 on a remote Peace Corps assignment, totally cut off from all gaming news and reviews? No problem. Now you can catch up, as GameSpot has announced its nominees for the Best and Worst of 2005 awards. Categories range from Special Achievement Awards like Best Original Music and Most Outrageous Game to Dubious Honors such as Worst Trend and Most Long-Winded Game Title. The best games in each genre and on each platform will also be honored, as will the overall best game of the year.

Starting at 5 p.m. Pacific Time on December 20, GameSpot will begin bestowing honors on 2005's most famous (and infamous) games, beginning with the Special Achievement Awards. Each day, the winners of a new category will be announced, culminating in the Christmas Day crowning of GameSpot's 2005 Game of the Year. Past Games of the Year include World of Warcraft (2004) and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

Best Role-Playing Game

Dragon Quest VIII (PlayStation 2)

Guild Wars (PC)

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Game Boy Advance)

Riviera: The Promised Land (Game Boy Advance)

Yes it came out in 2004 :(

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yet you offer that privilege to a game with a story so trite a blind imp-of a man could see right through it on a foggy night.

Congratulations.

I instead shall offer this most glorious title to Heretic Kingdoms, a game so very blissfully poetic in it's anti-theism. Brought a tear to a young man's eye.

Edited by Baley

Yes it came out in 2004 :ermm:

But the PC version came out in February 2005 did it not? Doesn't that mean it should qualify for 2005 too?

I know its just being picky, but I'm confused about when I got this game now :)

It doesn't deserve to be on there anyway in my opinion, although it is still a great game.

Yes it came out in 2004 :)

I laughed out loud at this.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yet you offer that privilege to a game with a story so trite a blind imp-of a man could see right through it on a foggy night.

Congratulations.

In your eyes. K2's story (in my eyes) was mediocre at best. And this is not forgetting the fact that it had recycled planets, boring environments (Peragus and Malachor come to mind), a bigger glitch problem, a poorly executed influence system, incomplete quests, incomplete romances, and - OMG! - a bad ending. I don't think it's hard to see why most people liked K1 better. :)

Guest MacLeodCorp

Congratulations.

In your eyes. K2's story (in my eyes) was mediocre at best. And this is not forgetting the fact that it had recycled planets, boring environments (Peragus and Malachor come to mind), a bigger glitch problem, a poorly executed influence system, incomplete quests, incomplete romances, and - OMG! - a bad ending. I don't think it's hard to see why most people liked K1 better. :geek:

Actually, it's only major flaw was not allowing the player to "end the force". Finishing the ole'bugger in the sky would have been a most orgasmic experience.

Blame the franchise.

Hehehehehehe...... :wub:

a poorly executed influence system

What was wrong with it ?

Even with all those things it wasnt as awful has having to wait for the game to catch up with something that had been established by in game evidence on the second planet.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Jade Empire was a fun, but average game. Nothing spectacular but nothing terrible. There was nothing that stood out like previous Bioware games, like the vastness and length of Baldur's gate 2 (which was very good) to the voice acting of Aribeth (which was veyr very very bad).

I haven't even played the game, but i wager that Resident Evil 4 will win GOTY. The only thing i've heard about that game is one praise after the other.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy