MP3 Player question

Deraldin

Ok, so my dad is considering buying an MP3 player for my little brother for christmas and is looking for something cheap and easy to use. Storage space is not that much of an issue as my brother doesn't have many songs and likely won't use it all that often. I was looking at a this Creative MuVo TX FM as a possibility. Supposedly it's easy to use and that's all that really matters for him.

Does anyone else have any ideas in the $80-90 Cdn range and that would be easy to use?

That is actaully a pretty damn good choice. I've only heard good things considering its competiton. This and the Ipod Shuffle are the only ones i hear anything good about that have small storage, plus this one has a screen so ou can see what your doing, the shuffle does not.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Ok, so my dad is considering buying an MP3 player for my little brother for christmas and is looking for something cheap and easy to use. Storage space is not that much of an issue as my brother doesn't have many songs and likely won't use it all that often. I was looking at a this Creative MuVo TX FM as a possibility. Supposedly it's easy to use and that's all that really matters for him.

Does anyone else have any ideas in the $80-90 Cdn range and that would be easy to use?

My oldest daughter has had a 1 GB MUVO for a year, and it has been very good. The only suggestion I'd make is that the battery NOT be allowed to go completely dead while the player is being used. Very occasionally, that can cause an error condition, requiring reflashing of the bios. It's a simple process, really--but the error might give a bit of a thrill, because unless you search Creative's forums, you might not know that can happen. But it's worth bearing in mind, if the player is being used by a younger child.

I've been using a 128 MB Creative MuVo Nomad for a few years now. It's given me a little trouble, but reformatting it has always straightened it out so far (knock, knock).

It doesn't have a screen, but I like it because it's small and cheap ($50 American two years ago). It's basically a drag and drop USB drive with a headphone jack. Plus, I get a kick out of how it randomly orders the songs that are added to it. It was a "shuffle" before shuffles were cool!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I have about 200 albums archived on my hard drive in mp3 format, and a 5,000 song "General Stacks" section of my music library. I just don't see the need to take all that with me everywhere.

If I am going on a long road trip, I'll burn an mp3 CD to play in the car; you can fit 10-15 albums on one of those depending on the song quality. For just walking around or going to the gym 128 MB is enough for me.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I think for the price range you're looking at, that Creative MuVo player is probably one of the best ones you'll get. It's too bad you're just looking now, because this one was on sale for about $90 about a month ago. I bought the 1 GB version of that one, and it's stupidly easy to use, and no complaints yet. *knocks on wood*

The one drawback about the one you're looking at is the fact that it only has an 11-hour battery life... that's a bit sad. This one, if you can find it, is a bit better on that aspect (15 hour battery life vs. 11). I'm not familiar with that particular model, but if it's anything like the SanDisk one I own, it'll be really easy to use.

Edited by Silvershadow

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I think for the price range you're looking at, that Creative MuVo player is probably one of the best ones you'll get. It's too bad you're just looking now, because this one was on sale for about $90 about a month ago. I bought the 1 GB version of that one, and it's stupidly easy to use, and no complaints yet. *knocks on wood*

The one drawback about the one you're looking at is the fact that it only has an 11-hour battery life... that's a bit sad. This one, if you can find it, is a bit better on that aspect  (15 hour battery life vs. 11). I'm not familiar with that particular model, but if it's anything like the SanDisk one I own, it'll be really easy to use.

I didn't even know that my dad was looking for one until a couple days ago when he saw one in this weeks flyer. It was a cheap one and I said I could find better so I took a look and actually didn't find the one I linked in the first post. I instead found the MuVo Mix for $70 so I picked this one up (yay staff discount! :))) This one actually looks a little easier to use than the TX FM as it doesn't have the jog wheel, but instead has separate buttons for play/skip and everything else. No LCD but that isn't a major concern considering who it's for.

Now I just have to load the songs from his new Meatloaf cd so that it's all ready to go on christmas day. :thumbsup:

About the battery life. The one I picked up shows 11 hours on the website but the packaging advertises 18 hours. Better than the sandisk. :p

I got one of those circular Sony MP3 players, I have 107 songs on it, and theres still room left to put more songs on it lol. It's cause the program I use that came with the MP3 player, SonicStage. It converts the mp3 format to a special encoderl, so the song takes up less space.

I'm a song freak, without music, I'd probably end up in a mental institution.

Is it an iPod mini? How long have you had it? Complain to Apple. If yours is a first gen mini then they may replace it with a newer model which actually has a decent battery life.

Its a regular 20 gig iPod, of the newest generation (i think), it has the clickwheel on it, but somehow i don't think Apple will replace it, since i've had it for more than a year, and the warrantee has definately run out.

I will probably just have to buy a new one now :blink:

You've got a good idea, although i've always got the impression from them that if your warrantee has run out, it's no longer their problem if the iPod breaks, since I have read somewhere about them saying "Apple will replace your iPod if there is a technical fault, inside the year's warrantee", or something like that.

Hmmm, that sentence is way too long... :blink:

Edited by Petay

I have an Apple IPod Mini, Runs great! bought a 3 year warrenty on it sense i use it for work all the time. I'm a part time painter as i go to school so its in my pocket all the time, if it drops then its insured :blink: Might as well get all my money out of it sense it was expensive. They 4 gig runs for about 179 and the 6 gig runs for about $220, both are great, but you might as well get the 6 gig its the one i have, and its filled 3/4 already, and my warrenty still covers for 30 more months :D

EDIT: My battery seems to have a power leak, if its charged 2/3 and i leave it sit for 2 days its dead. odd, but i can still take it in to get it fixed.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Looks like sony has a Solid 20Gig MP3 player, unfortunately I wouldn't buy from them though because of their Rootkit debacle. Sony probably has it encrypted in their software Sonic Stage. Sony talks about pirates then they impose their will on my computer through their CD's, so who is the bigger pirate?! <_<

TomsHardware: MP3 Reviews

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig