BitComet question

ramza

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on this. I am downloading some good anime right now through BitComet but I have 14 hours left... The problem is that my laptop's ventilation makes a bit of noise, so I am afraid of not being able to sleep tonight.

I thought of putting my pc in standby mode but I wonder if this will stop the downloading process...

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Cheers

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on this. I am downloading some good anime right now through BitComet but I have 14 hours left... The problem is that my laptop's ventilation makes a bit of noise, so I am afraid of not being able to sleep tonight.

I thought of putting my pc in standby mode but I wonder if this will stop the downloading process...

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Cheers

Standby will stop the downloading process.

I noticed that I could pause the downloading process...

is there any risk of losing the file? I wouldn't want to start from the beginning again...

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Not really. It'll take a little while for the seeds to pick up again, then you go again. The partial download is there until erased manually.

That said, with some files when the initial "seeding rush" is over, they are so low-demand you will never get good seeds for them again. If you are getting a popular and/or recent file, then no problem.

connected seeds: 1 (max possible 1)

connected peers: 16 (max possible 26)

that's the info I have... I am really afraid of not being able to find the connection again, so I may leave my pc as it is and wait for the download to finish...

In your case, leaving it on is probably a good idea, besides a laptop fan can't be that loud can it? :blink: I fall asleep with my vacuum cleaner-like desktop... in fact its got to the point wher if i leave it off it sounds too quiet :ermm:

Ha! The same happens to me. Now I find that leaving it on actually helps me fall asleep. :ermm:

Anyway, BitComet is for sissies. REAL men use Azureus. Aside from that, it's a much better client overall.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In your case, leaving it on is probably a good idea, besides a laptop fan can't be that loud can it? :blink: I fall asleep with my vacuum cleaner-like desktop... in fact its got to the point wher if i leave it off it sounds too quiet :ermm:

Ha! The same happens to me. Now I find that leaving it on actually helps me fall asleep. :ermm:

Weird isn't it? I can't sleep when it's quite, but since I no longer have a computer in my room, the radio/cd player has to suffice. I sleep better in a ground floor room of a hotel in a large city than I do on the quiet street where I live.

Anyway, I have to agree with the Azureus comment. Much better choice than BitComet.

Ha! The same happens to me. Now I find that leaving it on actually helps me fall asleep. :blink:

Anyway, BitComet is for sissies. REAL men use Azureus. Aside from that, it's a much better client overall.

Azureus uses a sh*tload of memory compared to the others, no thank you. Downloading anime is usually a very slow process for several reasons:

- The files are damn big, 11-12 gigs is not uncommon. Ofcourse, the quality is great with the excellent .ogg and .mkv-formats.

- Most of the seeders are there just for a week max, just leaving the enthusiasts. If you want "older" anime, you just have to wait.

This applies to most anime that i've download, unless it's the newest episode of Bleach (episodes can have as much as 16000 seeders) which usually comes at a rate of 800-900kB/sec.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Azureus uses a sh*tload of memory compared to the others, no thank you.

No, it doesn't. Perhaps the older versions did, I don't know, but the newer ones take way less resources than even eMule.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Azureus uses a sh*tload of memory compared to the others, no thank you.

No, it doesn't. Perhaps the older versions did, I don't know, but the newer ones take way less resources than even eMule.

Well, i have to try it again then someday. It might've been a recource-hog, but it had nice features though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

ahhhh... I managed to sleep afterall... It's cool that I have a big room (50 square meters >_< ) or else I would have been annoyed by the ventilator...

Thanks for the help, guys!

Azureus itself doesn't use that much resources. Java, that is required for it to run, do however. I still use Azureus and love it though, it has features no other client has (and some of those I really don't want to do without).

Current numbers on my comp (memory usage): Azureus - 1,8k; Java - 60k

Azureus is great if the memory usage is a non issue, if it is utorrent is probably the best option. I can't see a reason to use anything other than those two though.

Azureus itself doesn't use that much resources. Java, that is required for it to run, do however. I still use Azureus and love it though, it has features no other client has (and some of those I really don't want to do without).

Current numbers on my comp (memory usage): Azureus - 1,8k; Java - 60k

Err... hadn't considered that. :">