KOTOR 2 running very slow - please help!

:lol:

i am new on here so first of all would like to say HI - thanks to anyone who can help me in advance:

I have just bought a new PC and have attempted to convert my KOTOR 2 save games over to the new machine. I done this without any troubles, however, it is running very sluggish. The game is now unplayable, it is that slow. When I get to the menu you can see the smoke moving around in a stuttering fashion. It is just not right at all. This game ran perfectly on the highest settings on my previous machine, and this new model is a hell of a lot better. Any advice on how I can get it working ok?

My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2.21GhZ)

2gb RAM

500gb (2x 250gb) HD

256mb GeForce 7800 GT

Audigy 4

Win Xp, Service Pack 2

Any help will be greatly appreicated as I was really wanting to finish this game off. Thanks folks!

I'm guessing it a problem with your X2 chip, kotor2 is having slowdown problems with the dual cores.

Give searching for "dual core" a try and see if you can find anything more usefull to you, the only tricks i can remember was BIOS update and disabling one of the cores, i think rolling backing the drivers to a previous number (ie instead of v7.xx drivers use v6.xx) helped with Nvidia cards too.

Dual Core and the Odyssey Engne does not mix at all it would seem.  Maybe its due to the Aurora coding.  If so this does not bode well for you guys and NWN 2.

No. Apparently some dev posted in the Bioboards that they were going to make some processor-heavy part of NWN2 to take advantage of dual cores. By the time NWN2 is released, dual cores will be rather common, so it only makes sense that NWN2 supports it.

Also, NWN 2 = Neverwinter Nights 2. :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If you havnt yet tried updating the bios or reverting to older graphics card drivers then i would advise trying that, its helped other people s it might help you.

Ronin2, other than the RAM I have exactly the same system as you, and the same problem caused by swkotor2.exe taking 100% CPU (hence horrible performance/stuttering).

The only solution I have found to this is to revert to a non series 80 graphics driver. In my case I tried 77.77 and KOTOR2 ran fine, but both 81.85 and 81.87 caused huge slowdown (almost software rendering speed!)

Nvidia claimed that these series 80 drivers gave performance increases to dual core users, but in this case it does not seem to agree with this game. I assume that they have threaded the drivers and this game is calling the drivers in such a way that the threads are competing with each other rather than working concurrently.

Hope that helps.

Thats taken from another topic where a dual core user had issues with the game, so first i would advise updating your motherboard bios and then try an older set of graphics card drivers. And no, theres no real chance of there being a patch now.

• 2 weeks later...
:(

i am new on here so first of all would like to say HI - thanks to anyone who can help me in advance:

I have just bought a new PC and have attempted to convert my KOTOR 2 save games over to the new machine. I done this without any troubles, however, it is running very sluggish. The game is now unplayable, it is that slow. When I get to the menu you can see the smoke moving around in a stuttering fashion. It is just not right at all. This game ran perfectly on the highest settings on my previous machine, and this new model is a hell of a lot better. Any advice on how I can get it working ok?

My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2.21GhZ)

2gb RAM

500gb (2x 250gb) HD

256mb GeForce 7800 GT

Audigy 4

Win Xp, Service Pack 2

Any help will be greatly appreicated as I was really wanting to finish this game off. Thanks folks!

I've got pretty much the same system specs (AMD X2 3800+, 7800 GT) and was experiencing the same crappy performance problem. Furthermore, applying the latest 81.98 nvidia driver actually made the problem worse as the main menu would just load up to a black screen (although I could still see the cursor and hear the noises when dragging the cursor over menu options).

However, I've found a workaround that lets me play the game without having to revert back to the old 77.77 driver. This does involve poking around in the registry so try this at your own risk.

Follow these steps that are found on page 15 of the release notes of the 81.98 driver (except for step 3 which I'll explain below):