Background music

is delaware gonna have some punk rock or heavy metal background music at any stage

maybe even some old school rock'n'roll like acdc or led zeppellin could be worked in.

Come on, hero/heroine just killed 30 men bare handed and stairway to heaven starts coming out of the screen like you wouldn't love it

1. I'd like to ask the moderators if they know whose alt HiddenAssassin is. PM me, PLZ.

2. In reply to the original query, no.

3. Mark Morgan = good.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Dear god, I hope not. { (snip) Didn't really agree with that second sentence :(} I prefer games to be scored, rather than just have a soundtrack (like most movies nowadays have).

Agreed.

Background music should set the mood, and for me at least, pop music is associated with too many other things. Certain songs by certain artists just make me retch when I hear them, no matter where it is, and others evoke certain memories that, in all probablilty, will have absolutely nothing to do with the game. Pop music's got too much baggage for me.

Besides, I'm also of the belief that backgournd music should stay in the background. Pop music's not really all that good at that.

I think it really depends on the type and game setting.  If it was some futuristic or cyberpunk thing then maybe some industrial or hard rock, metal etc might work.

i agree w/ the first sentence, but unfortunately not the rest. i don't think heavy metal is a good genre of background music in general... background music should be just that, background music. if its taking the focus away from the game, especially if the player is not fond of the music, its a bad thing.

i think techno is good way to implement different genres, by giving the general feel of what the game is... you can do it all with techno, and not pay much attention to it at the same time if you don't want to when playing the game.

an alternative suggestion would be music settings, like you can choose the harder metal, or choose a lighter version of it depending on how the player wants to play their game. this is of course assuming that the game is goin for the heavy metal type of feel, i think it could be applied to any setting.

In dance clubs or bar settings, I'd like to hear some music like this (well, maybe not classic rock, but you catch what I mean). PC RPGs in particular can be so disappointing sometimes in how sterile supposedly upbeat settings can be. I'm playing through KotOR right now and the cantinas (those that I've seen anyway) are so dull. There's a band up on the stage and they're playing and dancing, but I hear no music (or if there is music, it's VERY muted) and the crowd (if you can call it that) looks like they couldn't care less (though they do acknowledge the band's presence in dialogue). Feh.

The music should be scored specifically for the game. and while there's nothing wrong with guitar, beats, or stuff like that (if used well) in a game music, real songs would probably be as bad as you can get.