Do all FPS games have regenerating health now?

Actually, if given a choice between regenerating health and health packs, I would choose regenerating health.

As Hell Kitty points out, neither one is any more or less realistic than the other, and I think regenerating health is far less kludgy than having health packs scattered around a level.

And in either case, the point is still having to balance damage received against healing available which makes the game fun; the only difference is in one case you are balancing a RATE of damage received vs healing available in the other case you are balancing a total finite number of damage received vs healing available. To me, the former is a much more interesting and flexible system.

Its only when you get to games like Jag2 and Xcom etc where there is a more "realistic" implemenatation of health damage that regenerating health wouldn't work for me.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It also kills the challenge.

not really. If you are regening at 1 point per second and you are taking damage at 20 points per second, assuming 100 health you are dead in 6 seconds.

Its about proper balance.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's alright but dont think its suited to a faster paced game.

I agree with that. I'd like to see something like it in a Deus Ex type game, or something like The Elder Scrolls.

Same with health packs. While they may not be realistic they add some elements to the game that regenerating health does not. You simply need to duck behind cover for a few seconds and your all set.

I didn't find the lack of health packs really changed the experience for me. Playing through on the hardest difficulty I found it pretty easy to die, so I never felt like some kind of superman. Left mre get down to the business of shootin' ****, rather than trying to keep my energy bar topped up.

I played through the original right before I bought CoD2, and found that looking for health kits after battle was much more of an "immersion killer" (blergh).

Haven't played Halo 2 on that level yet. Still working on Halo 1 on baseline. I am not that proficient with FPS games as of yet. I am a CRPGer, but a well practice FPSer would find it easy enough I am sure just as I find Jade Empire on Grand master mode pretty damn easy.

Haven't played Halo 2 on that level yet.  Still working on Halo 1 on baseline.  I am not that proficient with FPS games as of yet.  I am a CRPGer, but a well practice FPSer would find it easy enough I am sure just as I find Jade Empire on Grand master mode pretty damn easy.

A friend of mine who was a battle-hardened Halo veteran picked up Halo 2 and was repeatedly annihilated by the opening sequence in Legendary mode.

Shields do not help you any more than health if you have no time to regenerate them. The only times shields are useful is when you withdraw from combat or after combat ends. That's not always an option.

the only problem with COD2's regen is that your health comes back in about a second... and thats if you just duck behind whatever convienent cover you have because the ai will keep shooting the cover and ignore you.

Hades. Medal of Honor Pacific aussalt actually has all your healing done by the squad medic :(

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

^ What difficulty level did you play at?

I know that I went through the game on Expert mode (Or whatever the highest difficulty in CoD2 is called) and I would have to duck behind cover for about 4-5 seconds before it would regenerate completely. Any less than that and the first hit would leave me with the near death red line around the edge.

I know that I went through the game on Expert mode (Or whatever the highest difficulty in CoD2 is called) and I would have to duck behind cover for about 4-5 seconds before it would regenerate completely. Any less than that and the first hit would leave me with the near death red line around the edge.

I found the same thing. I died just as many times as I might in any other FPS. It doesn't at all give you invicibility like I heard people complain about before it was released.

I found the same thing. I died just as many times as I might in any other FPS. It doesn't at all give you invicibility like I heard people complain about before it was released.

It really only protects you if you do have the cover to jump behind, or if it's just scattered fire with rifles. I regularly died from soldiers right in fron of me with MP40's because they would start firing and kill me before I could spin around and hit them. Snipers also killed me on rare occasions that I didn't notice them first.

FPSs have been going downhill for a long time.

Hopefully Bioshock will change the trend :)

PC FPSs are much better than console FPSs. Part of that problem is personal, as I cannot seem to get the hang of playing an FPS on a console controller. Part of that is just the difference between the systems. That's part of the personal preference area of gaaming.

However, the longer load times, smaller maps, less control than a mouse and keyboard combo, etc. all combine to make console FPSs inferior. ...And it's not like I go out of my way to avoid console games. The areas where the console excels, such as ease of use, less cost, etc. aren't actually part of the gameplay. In this case, my numbered friend and Hades are right. It's not that FPSs are better, it's that consoles are easier to use.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Haven't played Halo 2 on that level yet.  Still working on Halo 1 on baseline.  I am not that proficient with FPS games as of yet.  I am a CRPGer, but a well practice FPSer would find it easy enough I am sure just as I find Jade Empire on Grand master mode pretty damn easy.

A friend of mine who was a battle-hardened Halo veteran picked up Halo 2 and was repeatedly annihilated by the opening sequence in Legendary mode.

Shields do not help you any more than health if you have no time to regenerate them. The only times shields are useful is when you withdraw from combat or after combat ends. That's not always an option.

Pardon me while I double post.... or not, I don't care.

Gamers should always assess a game based on the normal mode. Sure Fist of Fury, or legendary, or whatever you want to call it might be cool and all, but that's not the normal gameplay.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Difficulty is a balance issue not a rules/mechanics issue. One can balance any gameplay system to be nearly impossible or incredibly easy. Regenerating health, stim packs, or non-healable location specific damage, none of it really makes a game harder or easier in and of itself.

The point, I would hope, is to balance a game so that it is fun to play. Of course "fun" is that tricky variable that varies from player to player.

Part of that problem is personal, as I cannot seem to get the hang of playing an FPS on a console controller.

It's painful inititally.

Gamers should always assess a game based on the normal mode.  Sure Fist of Fury, or legendary, or whatever you want to call it might be cool and all, but that's not the normal gameplay.

I disagree. If I'm breezing through on normal and there are other harder difficulty levels available then I'm a fool if I dont make use of them and instead just whine and complain how easy the game is.

I dont think anyone here is normal when it comes to games so it stands to reason that most of the time our difficulty would not default to normal since that is intended for people who dont have a lot of experience with these things. Easy is for people who are just not very good, or getting used to the system.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, games based on an established rules systems such as NWN and KotOR, normal should be within the base frame work of the rules set. Such as Normal mode the starting Sith Soldier should have a stat block such as:

Sith Soldier; Class: Soldier; Level: 1; Hit Points: 12; Base Attack: +1; Blaster Rifle: +3 Att, 2d8 Damage; Vibrosword: +3, 1d8+2 Damage; Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Chr 10; Defense 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Armor). CR 1

Instead of having 2 hit points, a -2 Base Attack, nerfed weapons, single digit stats, and a defense of 6.

Same thing in NWN 1 with the weak goblins. Goblins that can take on the students and teachers of an academy of adventurers should have class levels in fighter and rogue. A baseline Goblin in that affair should have had 1 level of rogue while tough goblins should have 1 level of rogue and 1 level of fighter. Again, Bioware decides to nerf them beyond the limits of the rules.

Gamers should always assess a game based on the normal mode.

Why? If you find the game easy on normal and there is an Expert option, why should gamers base their view of the game on the normal mode..? Just switch to the difficulty setting that suits your style of play.

I fail to see the logic in your statement.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Normal mode should be well normal. It should be how things within the rules structure of the game should act. If the game is a FPS then real world physics should apply. Games with projectile weapons should do damage to the player or opponent as they would in real life. A grazing shot from a 9mm will hurt but not kill, an energy blast from a laser will do damage base on the joules of energy released. Games that have an established rules set such as the d20 System should refer the base game mechanics which gauges normal and go from there. Normal should be at this level of difficulty.

Once Normal is gauge in this way then easier or harder settings can be applied by decreasing or increasing damage values, power level of characters, and the intelligence of the AI programming.