Do all FPS games have regenerating health now?

I'm in a bit of an FPS mood (not my usual choice of games).

I played COD:The Big Red One , kind of liked that.

Picked up Farcry Instincts earlier on and was having an ok time with it, then the regenerating health started and the game got dull.

Anyone know of any recent FPS games which dont have regenerating health ? It bugs me a lot. Or perhaps I should look at some Rainbow Six or Socom for more realism ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm in a bit of an FPS mood (not my usual choice of games).

I played COD:The Big Red One , kind of liked that.

Picked up Farcry Instincts earlier on and was having an ok time with it, then the regenerating health started and the game got dull.

Anyone know of any recent FPS games which dont have regenerating health ? It bugs me a lot. Or perhaps I should look at some Rainbow Six or Socom for more realism ?

F.E.A.R comes to mind, but you get health kits...and they're exceptionally easy to find. Hit the "Z" key and you've got 50 points of health back instantly. That, and you find boosts that permanently increase your health and slow-mo pool as the game goes on.

I don't think Quake 4 has it either and Battlefront 2 definitely doesn't. Area 51 doesn't, and neither does..........that's all I can think of. :blink:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Blame Halo.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Blame Halo.

B...b....but....Halo's my friend. :'(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Its the dumbing down of games in general.  It started with CRPGs but now spread to other genres! 

CAN SOMEONE STOP THIS CONTAGION!!!!

Don't get me wrong, it worked storywise and especially gameplaywise in Halo. But it's silly to use it games such as COD2, Far Cry: Instincts especially in CRPG's.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Blame Halo.

B...b....but....Halo's my friend. :'(

It's my friend too, but people who lack any vision in gamedesign seems to copy the idea aswell.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Technically speaking, Halo doesn't have regenerating health, if it's the system I'm thinking of. Essentially, half your total "life pool" is health, the other half is/are shields. Shields regenerate, health does not regenerate. Shields also only regenerate if you give them a chance to do so. If you go in, guns blazing, and never back off, your shields won't regenerate. It works the same way in Destroy All Humans. Personally, I like it because a person can back off when they realize they are in too deep and recover for another assault.

"Shields" could just as easily be "stamina" or something similar in another setting. Darklands used endurance as the "buffer" health stat and strength as the for realz health. At the end of every battle, most of your endurance would come back, but almost none of your strength did. I think it worked very well.

I played Call of Duty 2. I can say that, regeneration was the worst part of the game.

Definitely.

I can understand why there is energy regeneration in games like Halo and FEAR.

But it makes absolutely no sense in COD2. I didn't see a medic hanging around me 24/7. :ph34r:

Well, I'd have to recomend Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, or the sequel Earned In Blood. Great storyline, and amazing squad control. Play Road to Hill 30 first, only because the second one's story plays off the first one's.

King Kong is all pretty good, kind of a First Person Shooter/First Person Spear Thrower.

I played Call of Duty 2. I can say that, regeneration was the worst part of the game.

Definitely.

I can understand why there is energy regeneration in games like Halo and FEAR.

But it makes absolutely no sense in COD2. I didn't see a medic hanging around me 24/7. :ph34r:

yeah... that was quite odd... I just beat it and my american guy that I played (in the campaign mode you play as 4 different people. 1 russian 2 british and 1 american soldier) was hit by about 200 grenades. a coupla thousand bullets and I think he got bazzokaed once or twice... BUT HE DIDN'T DIE! (this was all on the last mission) the way call of duty 2 has its health system is wierd... you get hit your fine... then as you get hit more and more in a small amount of time your screen starts to turn red. After a few more hits in quick succession you die. But if you just dive behind a table for five seconds your completly fine O.o !

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

One of the most disapointing things was it was just better graphics. The game itself really didnt open up at all considering all that extra power you are supposed to have. The wolverine effect just put me right off CoD II anyway. But at least I didnt buy it (played on my cousins kids 360).

Similiar with Instinct. In one section you punch your way out of a steel crate, yet for some reason your completely unable to break a bamboo fence. It just reinforces the feeling that your a rat in a maze with only one way out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

But...but...it wasn't any better in CoD 1. There you just had health kits behind every corner. You still could get shot a million times, hit by tanks, nearly escape 20 grenades and still be in great shape after a health pack. How's that any better? And the regen health could just as well be stamina.

Personally, I'd prefer if they implemnted medics and blood loss.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Its the dumbing down of games in general.  It started with CRPGs but now spread to other genres! 

CAN SOMEONE STOP THIS CONTAGION!!!!

I'm 100% with you on this one. But unfortunately this is what happens when games become mainstream. Most people don't want/don't have the time to complete the learning curves of old games, which means they don't get to develop any gaming skills.

If they didn't dumb down the games, "casual" players would get raped badly in seconds. Which means frustration. That is a no-no, not just in the game industry, but in our culture in general. And since "casual" players are the largest potential market segment, this basically means you and me are screwed for good.

Just pray PnP RPGs don't become mainstream. :ph34r:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I can't say I have any problem with regenerating health. It's no less realistic than running over a health pack and magically regenerating. In real life, if I get shot in the face, standing on a first aid kit is going to be just as useless as hiding behind cover for a moment.

Personally, I'd prefer if they implemnted medics and blood loss.

:)

I quite like the system in Metal Gear Solid 3, with different kinds of injuries and needing different things to patch them up with.

:)

I quite like the system in Metal Gear Solid 3, with different kinds of injuries and needing different things to patch them up with.

It's alright but dont think its suited to a faster paced game. After while it gets kind of annoying. Good incentive not to get hit though.

Same with health packs. While they may not be realistic they add some elements to the game that regenerating health does not. You simply need to duck behind cover for a few seconds and your all set.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]