Forum Errors

Janmanden

Hey, Admin/webmaster dude, if you got time could you fix:

1. Color tags, currently they negate font sizes tags. It's shown correctly in preview, but not posted on Forum.

2. highlighting of words in search stops working on subsequent pages, because the key changes from <highlite=searchword> to <hl=searchword> and code doesn't check for the <hl> key.

3. Reedit adds extra newlines around Lists tags, which messes up the view when it's re-posted.

Here some floating text with an empty newline above and below

4. Newlines are lost between previous item text and next item.

Testing Tag order outwards with largest text(7):

Size + Color + Bold

Color + Size + Bold

Bold + Size + Color

Bold + Color + Size

Color + Bold + Size

Size + Bold + Color

(Signatures: disabled) 

Thanks Janmanden - I've let admin know about this too. Are there any other issues that others are currently experiencing in regard to the fora?

Thread Pruned of some SPAM that I should have anticipated!

Edited by Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I believe these bugs have all been fixed in the latest versions of the forum software.  However, updating may cause damage to any modifications Obsidian may have made.

I know as much about coding as a flamingo in a bear suit, but could Obsidian take the latest versions of the forum software, then see how it solved the prevalent problems in our current version, then make "modifications" to it? like the ones Obsidian has already made?

that might be a lot of work, i just don't know. sorry if i am a total idiot, but at least i can do this: post-15284-1134168228.gif

I'd rather see Obsidian dedicate their time to making great games than fixing trivial errors in forum code, myself. :)

I'd rather see Obsidian commit themselves to finishing things rather than leave them half-done... If I have to do it myself I volunteer for the job. :)

(Signatures: disabled) 

I'd rather see Obsidian dedicate their time to making great games than fixing trivial errors in forum code, myself. ;)

I'd rather see Obsidian commit themselves to finishing things rather than leave them half-done... If I have to do it myself I volunteer for the job. ;)

That'd apply if these forums were Obsidian's creation and coding. It isn't.

I'd rather see Obsidian dedicate their time to making great games than fixing trivial errors in forum code, myself. :p

Hey hey, don't get me wrong, i was just asking if it was possible or something. i didn't think that developers of a game would be busy fixing a forum. i assumed there would be someone else in charge of that, and that is who i wanted to do it. or if there is not someone like that, then disregard this and all my previous comments in this thread. :ph34r:

Neither was KotOR 2 or NWN 2 if you follow that logic.  :p

Uhm... KotOR2 was their creation, and moreso their coding than the forums. A lot moreso. Plus someone had to pay money in order for you to play KotOR2, which is why there is an expectation of quality. These forums are neither the focus of the company nor a requirement for them to maintain.

All that said, they do maintain the forums and keep them relatively bug free. The fact that it took anyone a year + to mention a bug that has been around since the forums were created illustrates just how trivial the bug is. I'm sure Obsidian will do something about it, at some point, but you have to keep your priorities in order, and these forums are bottom rung.

Oh I agree, I was just being a touch malicious.  Sorry.  :o

Wouldn't it be simply to just take a look at the fixed code then plant it where it is appropriate in the Obsidian forum code and let that be that.

It is never that simple. The fixed code could break some modification that Obsidian made. It could not be a fix at all, instead a whole new section of code that has to be placed in and require the removal of something else. Removing the something else could break another piece of code.

The best route to go would probably be to update the forum software, and reapply any modifications Obsidian has made. Also have to factor in the fact that the bug might not be completely eradicated in the latest software, and that this bug is trivial at best.

Basically, its not a good use of any Obsidian employee's time to fix such a menial problem.

We all know that NWN 2 will have bugs. Only thing that matters for NWN 2 is its post release support. All the content for NWN 2 has already been placed in the game or set out on a planned schedule. Nothing is going to change on that front.

The boards work well enough I guess, but using NWN 2 as an excuse not to do the fix up is lame.

We all know that NWN 2 will have bugs.  Only thing that matters for NWN 2 is its post release support.  All the content for NWN 2 has already been placed in the game or set out on a planned schedule.  Nothing is going to change on that front.

The boards work well enough I guess, but using NWN 2 as an excuse not to do the fix up is lame.

Uhm... for someone who started his posting in this thread with the word "logic" you certainly aren't displaying it here.

Yes, the NWN2 development is undoubtedly set on a schedule, taking a day, or two, or three out to fix a LESS than trivial set of bugs on an inconsequential forum will set that schedule back.

Yes, NWN2 will have bugs but taking a day, or two, or three days to fix the forums takes valuable time that the developers could be using to fix those bugs. If the above is actually your position, you really have no right to complain about bugs in NWN2 when it is released. Afterall you know they'll be there, and you're willing to accept them... so long as you can make the forum font face multi-colored, bold and of varying sizes.

Backward priorities, having you are.

I have just heard from admin and they do know that this is an issue. They hope to work it out - either on their own or with those who deal with the product itself. Thanks Janmanden for taking the time to share your concerns.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

• 4 weeks later...
[*] Color tags, currently they negate font sizes tags. It's shown correctly in preview, but not posted on Forum.

Twas a CSS error - that should now be fixed.

[*] highlighting of words in search stops working on subsequent pages, because the key changes from to and code doesn't check for the key.

This should now be fixed.

[*] Reedit adds extra newlines around Lists tags, which messes up the view when it's re-posted.

Check this one as well - this should hopefully be fixed.