Nothing after auto-run screen :S

I have a legal copy of KOTOR 2.

I don't have daemontools, alcohol 120% etc installed.

I have up to date drivers.

I am running Windows XP, the only account on the computer, with admin status.

My PC is an AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU, Geforce 6600GT graphics card, 1024mb PC3200 DDR RAM, Abit AV8 3rd Eye mobo, DVD drive (not a writer), 2x hard drives, floppy, 500w PSU.

I insert disc one and the auto-run screen appears giving me the optinos to 'install' or 'exit.' I click 'install'. The screen dissapears and nothing opens, runs, appears etc.

I open up the CD directory in explorer and double click setup.exe. I get the error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or folder. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I then try double clicking swkotor2.exe and I get the message "The application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may solve this problem."

I can however run the auto-run from the CD dir, aswell as te directx install, the readme and so on.

Please help :S

"The application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found....."

I don't know what's wrong...but just give it what it wants, mss32.dll.

The website you're downloading it from says it's related to Miles Sound System which is what the game uses; again I don't know what's wrong but just like Pure Pazaak if it can't find a file then get it.

Welcome to the forums...wanna play Pazaak? :p"

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

ok ok I re-read the post a bit more carefully :blink: .

When Windows complains about accessing a drive/file/folder it usually means the CD is stuffed (or drive is stuffed) - try a quick clean of the CD.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Have you searched the Disc 1 for the game to see if that mss32.dll file is in fact missing or not?

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

This might sound weird but sometimes you need to do weird things to get the games you want to play to work for you. Copy the contents of all 4 discs on the hard drive. Install from the hard drive. It worked for me in the past so it might work for you. Also make sure you the drive clean. It could be the DVD ROM that is messing things up.

What do you mean by secondary? I only have one drive. I've installed some other games to test and they've all worked so I'm assuming the drive is clean, but if the hard drive idea dosn't work, I'll clean it out and try again.

So yeh, I'll copy the foles over and give it a go now and get back to you.

Nope, I copied all the disks into folders on my hard drive and when I tried to run setup.exe I got the same error message about not having permission to access that file.

Edit:

Ok, I tried installing another game (Rome: Total War) just now and I have exactly the same problem! I get the auto run, but no install and access denied to the setup.exe. Any ideas?

Edited by Vasquez

Go into the Administrator account & see if it will install. Not your account with Admin priveleges, but the Administrator account for the computer.

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

OK. I did the above and it still didn't work. However, I took a long shot and started the PC in safe mod. It installed fine (despite taking aaaaaaaages) :D Now on Citadel Station and liking it, although the enviroments are very bland :lol: Thanks for your help guys :D