Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows first Reviews

karka

Too bad. ;)

The payola envelope must have gotten lost in the mail.

On a happy sidenote, Gauntlet is one of the greatest game ever. I spent hours playing the wizard in the arcade version. I once got about 3 hours of gameplay off a single quarter. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Too bad. ;)

The payola envelope must have gotten lost in the mail.

On a happy sidenote, Gauntlet is one of the greatest game ever.  I spent hours playing the wizard in the arcade version.  I once got about 3 hours of gameplay off a single quarter.  :thumbsup:

^Sawyer

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And here I was actually looking forward a little to this game. Maybe JE can tell us what went wrong?

(probably not, contractual obligations and all)

The game I helped design when I was at Midway was significantly more involved in terms of gameplay and story. Some people may have liked that, some may have not. When I realized that Midway's goals were very different than my own, I understood that I wouldn't have been much help, so I left.

Makes good sense to me. I think the game would have been better for it if they followed your designs. There has only been one design decision of yours that I disagreed with but its a moot point since it got cancelled. Man, I was really looking forward to Van Buren.

Grenades are not melee weapons! :blink:

Edited by Hades_One

The game I helped design when I was at Midway was significantly more involved in terms of gameplay and story.  Some people may have liked that, some may have not.  When I realized that Midway's goals were very different than my own, I understood that I wouldn't have been much help, so I left.

And I thought Fergie tempted you away with $$$. :D

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

The game I helped design when I was at Midway was significantly more involved in terms of gameplay and story.  Some people may have liked that, some may have not.  When I realized that Midway's goals were very different than my own, I understood that I wouldn't have been much help, so I left.

For me, it was just those things that made it interesting. It's a shame Midway didn't see things the same way you did.

And here I was actually looking forward a little to this game. Maybe JE can tell us what went wrong?

(probably not, contractual obligations and all)

The game I helped design when I was at Midway was significantly more involved in terms of gameplay and story. Some people may have liked that, some may have not. When I realized that Midway's goals were very different than my own, I understood that I wouldn't have been much help, so I left.

So working with your friends again on the type of games you got into the industry to create with more freedom to design what you want to design wasn't part of the decision to leave? :wub:

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So working with your friends again on the type of games you got into the industry to create with more freedom to design what you want to design wasn't part of the decision to leave? :wub:

Oh, I actually had a lot of freedom when I was designing Seven Sorrows and, for the most part, I liked the people. It just didn't work out.

Got it Tuesday - played about 3 hours Tuesday night and 3 hours Wednesday night and - poof! Done! Waaaaaaayyyyy tooooooooo short!

Of course, to be fair to the game, we were playing on Beginners level (never played any of the previous incarnations, so wanted to make sure we understood how all the combos worked), but still - 6 hours? Meh. VERY linear, hack and slash button masher.

But we'll probably keep it and play again, because of the lack of multiplayer RPG console games out.

The art work, however, was absolutely GORGEOUS! It was almost a shame that so much beauty was raced through so quickly. And, of course, not much time was spent exploring, so I don't know if there are hidden areas we missed that would extend game play time, etc. But to be brutally honest (and I hope I'm not insulting you JE) the bosses were pathetic. Again, we were on beginners, but I mean, come one! Sometimes it seemed like it was easier to beat the bosses than it was to get through the levels!

This could have been a great game. And, yes, well worth renting. Because you don't have to worry about late fees. You'll have plenty of time to play it and get it back before it's due.

(Now watch - I'll up the level, and everything will change. :lol: Possible, but not probable)

But to be brutally honest (and I hope I'm not insulting you JE) the bosses were pathetic.  Again, we were on beginners, but I mean, come one!  Sometimes it seemed like it was easier to beat the bosses than it was to get through the levels!

The only boss I worked on was the "Stone Golem" in the Standing Stones. To be honest, I'm not even sure what other bosses made it into the game. I'm assuming that the "Master of the Cauldron" and "Grand Magistrate" were in, but I have no idea who/what else was.