How to launch a console.

Read this over at Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62112

Sony Computer Entertainment America bigwig Jack Tretton has suggested that PS3 titles Lair and WarHawk could be available on console launch day.

In an interview with US PlayStation Magazine, Tretton said: "We've actually got three internal [PS3] titles that we're working on at SCEA.

"One of them, WarHawk, is playable, and you can compare the graphics and see them live, and also with another one of our launch titles, a game from factor 5 called Lair, again live footage, that footage compares very favourably to what was shown at E3 press conference."

Advertisement

But when exactly will launch day arrive? Well, Sony's still not saying, and they haven't decided whether to follow in Microsoft's footsteps and go for a global simultaneous launch, either.

"I don't think a consumer really cares whether or not [the PS3] is available in another country before or after it's available for them," Tretton told PSM.

"Everybody wants a new platform as soon as they can get their hands on it, and I guess selfishly every territory wants to be first, but I think ultimately what the consumers are going to be excited about is going to be the software content that's available for it.

"The actual machine isn't very exciting unless you have compelling software to put into it."

I've highlighted the relevent bits.

So ok world wide launch vs local launch.

World wide launch sounds nice in theory but just look at how many people are either stuck with a core system (which is crap) or just cant get hold a machine period while the shelves are full of software.

This to me is the clincher. It really dosnt matter if the Japances or the Americans are playing on a new console if the games are not available here anyway. What would bother me far more is having shelves full of games and not actually be able to play them because some bright spark sent Japan a million machines that they didnt want.

The guy deserves some sort of award for that last comment. Most sensible thing anyone has said in ages.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Eh, it's just marketing. He's responding to the lack of a killer 360 game what with them being good but not great (the software comment that is).

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Well one of the nice things about being last in the order in Europe is by the time the machine is released, you have way more stuff to choose from as well as any kinks (like the machine having a tendancy to catch fire) worked out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think that world wide releases are overrated and can cause more headaches than they are worth. I rather see a staffered release. Basically you release a console in one area, Japan for the PS3, initially and wait 3 months for all the bugs and problems are worked out then onto the next release, North America in this case, then wait anouther 3 months so that you can fix any further bugs and problems, then do the remaining areas on a monthly staggered schedule.

Sure the fanboys won't like it at first but with a slow release like this you can easier nip problems in the bud.