So I was watching Starship Troopers today...

Arkan

...good movie, overall. Entertaining to say the least. I love the propaganda aspect of it. But something bothers me about the movie. Other than the fact that there would be no movie if it wasn't for the mobile infantry, why would we go to war like that? Wouldn't we Nuke the alien planet to cinders before we dared set foot on the planet?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

then there wouldn't be a movie .. only a short film about us nuking a planet!

<_<

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't remember the plot of that movie...but if we nuked it, we couldn't use it....maybe?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't remember the plot of that movie...but if we nuked it, we couldn't use it....maybe?

I don't think the plundering of resources was of major concern when they attacked the planet. At the very least they could have strategically bombed the planet without nukes.

Because the planet's have giant shields over them which can only be disabled by destroying a power station on a smaller nearby planet? :ermm:

Hmm, wrong movie i think....

But seriously, they do mention in the movie that there is obviously more than one planet, and if you think the planets are about the size of earth each, maybe a little smaller, it would take hundreds of nukes to wipe out all of earth, so theyd need thousands of nukes to wipe out loads of planets?! :ermm:

Just a theory.

Because the planet's have giant shields over them which can only be disabled by destroying a power station on a smaller nearby planet? :ermm:

Hmm, wrong movie i think....

But seriously, they do mention in the movie that there is obviously more than one planet, and if you think the planets are about the size of earth each, maybe a little smaller, it would take hundreds of nukes to wipe out all of earth, so theyd need thousands of nukes to wipe out loads of planets?! :ermm:

Just a theory.

Unless the US and other countries had changed their ways prior to the movie (which I doubt would happen), we should have plenty of nukes at our disposal.

I don't think the plundering of resources was of major concern

What?! It's always a concern of humankind! :ermm:

Petay's right tho..maybe they thought it'd be more expensive to nuke everything then to toss away some fragile lives and guns.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Best bit was the uni-sex shower scene.

But thats just me :ermm:"

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

In the bit where the main guy is leading his squad through training, isn't there a bit where one of his guys is accidentally shot in the head, and because he didnt have a helmet on he gets thrown out of the infantry?

Yet if I recall the man is shot in the face, meaning the helmet would have done him little good either way.

They should have watched the replay.

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

He's clipped in the head. The helmet probably wouldn't have saved him but it was still a bad call on the commander. He wasn't getting booted, he was choosing to leave because he was shamed. The girl who tripped and shot the guy was booted.

It's fun sci-fi, but you don't want to over analyze that movie. I just wish Wing Commander was half that good.

The book is awesome too, although very different.

I think my favorite part is where Gary Buseys' kid asks Clancy Brown 'why do we need to learn to throw knives when we can just press a button and nuke 'em?'

That of course was followed by ' Put your hand on that target soldier!'

I've seen ST far too many times, hell I'll even admit I own it on DVD.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

...good movie, overall. Entertaining to say the least. I love the propaganda aspect of it. But something bothers me about the movie. Other than the fact that there would be no movie if it wasn't for the mobile infantry, why would we go to war like that? Wouldn't we Nuke the alien planet to cinders before we dared set foot on the planet?

Because in the future with the ever growing population, humanity is just that little bit cheaper than uranium...

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

the following is based on something i read, but i don't know where to find it anymore... (maybe imdb database?):

ok, i have not read the books, but i did do some research regarding this movie since i had heard the books were MUCH better and MUCH darker. apparently, the books alluded to the possibility that the original meteor (or comet, or asteroid or whatever it was) that was slung towards the earth by the bugs was a ploy. i.e. the bugs didn't attack earth, but humans did. they did it in order to rally the earth behind a common cause. i don't remember the details from there...

apparently the books were very anti-war and went much deeper into the whole military society thing (citizenship from service, etc.) it was pretty bleak.

ok, that's enough about that...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

oh, the point then, is that they didn't want to go in with nukes, they actually wanted the long drawn out battle.

hints of this are apparent in the movie as well as the hypocritical look at war (the "news" flashes, etc.).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I thought it was the other way around? That the books propagate a semi-fascist, militarist society where duty is all and the greatest friendship is the bond between brothers in arms.

Whereas the film ridicules this and projects a hidden antiwar message. I know Verhoeven said he tried to sneak in as much politics that the producers would let him(which wasnt much).

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

you know... the only similarities between the books and movies were the names.... Everything else was utterly different.

In the movie the reason we attacked the planet was because they had tossed a meteor that killed off geneva (I think). And we didn't nuke it in the sense your thinking. We nuked it with very small tactical warheads that they would just pop off and would have no residual radiation.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

you know... the only similarities between the books and movies were the names.... Everything else was utterly different.

In the movie the reason we attacked the planet was because they had tossed a meteor that killed off geneva (I think). And we didn't nuke it in the sense your thinking. We nuked it with very small tactical warheads that they would just pop off and would have no residual radiation.

Buenos Aires actually.

Yes, it wasnt supposed to be a Starship Troopers film initially. Someone just pointed out that the script was very similar and so they decided to purchase the license and rewrite the script in order to get a bit of free publicity.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I thought it was the other way around? That the books propagate a semi-fascist, militarist society where duty is all and the greatest friendship is the bond between brothers in arms.

Whereas the film ridicules this and projects a hidden antiwar message. I know Verhoeven said he tried to sneak in as much politics that the producers would let him(which wasnt much).

No, I've always heard that the book was even more anti-fascist.

If I wasnt blind, Id read it to find out what all the fuss is about.

(yes, I have a braille keyboard)