Taking turn base action out of RPGs...

Guest MacLeodCorp

Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?

• Yes, RPGs should be turn based.
    • No, RPGs should have a flow in action.
    • Some other resolution needs to be done.

I think that SWG and  MMORPGs are generally a bad idea.  I think that games like NWN 1 and 2 would be better, I just would like a more vareity of them.

People keep buying said games, though. Probably not exclusively just to watch them crash and burn like SWG did.

Ultimately, though, MMORPGs generally sell like hotcakes (Lineage, WoW, etc), and remain very lucrative, continuous maintenance nonwidthstanding, so it's hardly a "bad idea" as far as the whole monies bit goes, which is usually a rather important bit.

That said, the Star Wars universe had quite a lot of potential to be a great game, and the developers did have some semblance of vision- player housing, lots of professions (both combat and otherwise, and crafting was quite advanced, too), etc It could've been quite the good game, but poor execution eventually killed it. Being able to form a big guild with crafters, build your rebel camp, fortify it, fight off imperials, etc appealed to many, but the game itself sucked.

Also, regarding Baldur's Gate: DA. I bought it, played it, and enjoyed it. Yes, compared to Baldur's Gate 1/2 it really did suck, but that might not be entirely the genre's fault. BG1/2 is generally considered to be very high-quality titles. BG:DA is not. That's not to say there aren't really good action RPGs, BG:DA might just not be one of them. I guess I'm not much of a CRPG-supremacist.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

"Which is why I don't consider Jade Empire a CRPG. Good game, though."

JE is a RPG. This is undisputable as you make decisions that effect the game world and other characetrs react to. And, not just fluff decisions like some games but actual decisions.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.