Taking turn base action out of RPGs...

Guest MacLeodCorp

Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?

• Yes, RPGs should be turn based.
    • No, RPGs should have a flow in action.
    • Some other resolution needs to be done.

Well, I consider the talking skills part of the "thief" line.. so that's why I consolidated it to two main classes, a hybrid and what's left.  :lol:"

Speaking of System Shock 2... it's pretty "classless" all things considered.

The "classes" you choose are more or less the same as picking "tag skills", the game is open ended in the skill sets as well.

I've completed Fallout using a smart, charismatic, scientist character. Little combat skills, no "thief" skills. What class this?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hmm.. Weird. Last i checked, FO is classless by the very definition of the term. Afterall, all skills, perks, and so forth are available to every character that have the minimum requirements that do not include classes.

There is no 'fighter' or 'rogue' class in the game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, I consider the talking skills part of the "thief" line.. so that's why I consolidated it to two main classes, a hybrid and what's left.  :wub:"

The "classes" you choose are more or less the same as picking "tag skills", the game is open ended in the skill sets as well.

I've completed Fallout using a smart, charismatic, scientist character. Little combat skills, no "thief" skills. What class this?

Lucky :p

Well, I consider the talking skills part of the "thief" line.. so that's why I consolidated it to two main classes, a hybrid and what's left.  :wub:"

I would consider System SHock 2, Fallout, Morrowind to all be classless games since you define a player character based on the skills you develop not the class you choose.

In a classful game, your class defines the skills you are permitted to develop.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hmm.. Weird. Last i checked, FO is classless by the very definition of the term. Afterall, all skills, perks, and so forth are available to every character that have the minimum requirements that do not include classes.

There is no 'fighter' or 'rogue' class in the game.

*pats Volourn on the head*

We'll call them "archtypes" then to make you feel better. :p

:wub:

I would consider System SHock 2, Fallout, Morrowind to all be classless games since you define a player character based on the skills you develop not the class you choose.

In a classful game, your class defines the skills you are permitted to develop.

Oh, I'd call them classless too, but that still doesn't change the fact they're built around certain class....errr archtypes :p

And to appease people who say "Well I beat it without a class....errr archtype"... There's two ways to beat classless games...

The right way and the other way.

The other way is the like the right way but slower and less certain :p

Archetypes are the cornerstone of fantasy storytelling. Doesn't make them a class.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

On RPG's. I make a distinction between roleplaying and playing a role or a profession. Not the same thing. In my opinion Roleplaying is a mental exercise while playing a role is simply adhering to a codex or style of play. The fight in itself is really pointless beyond the intent to kill, unless you have to make a choice on the actual outcome as well like an opponent that actually pleads for his life for instance...otherwise it's just entertainment.

I am a bit hesitant to call Deus Ex, System Shock 2 or Silent Storm RPG's as there is very little or no choice, qualms or moralization on the matter of the role or the character defining dialogue and content. Deus Ex have some, but once you realize how futile and limited everything actually is then...play that role and maintain the illusion or quit. Slabbing a pair of character development **** on a game doesn't really make it female...

Create a medic and play as a medic, while it's being a profession is it roleplaying in itself? I think not, it's just a task, job, profession, some tedious thing that has to be done. Classes or profession have very little to do with Roleplaying - even though it might actually help you survive it or do it more brashly.

On TB vs. RTS. If you are counting on an element of surprise as in a backstabbing thief then TB is really no good as it obstructs the natural 'flow' of the obvious thing to do, but if you fail that and get into trouble and actually have to *think* about your next move then TB really has a point or points...of strategies and alternatives. I like the way that Fallout: Tactics includes both. Can deal with all the riff-raff quick and easy and go TB whenever you actually face a challenge or you need to coordinate attacks...but despite a few RP choices it's mostly a tactical game and I regard it as such too.

On both. Somehow I doubt that you can actually RP in RTS, because thinking about actions and consequences requires a 'little' thought, or TB for that matter, since the combat in itself isn't really genre defining or limiting in any way, in my opinion. Maybe it's just a matter of experience and routine and fleshing out your character from the beginning...but that reallly sounds like clich

(Signatures: disabled) 

So the result is:

Take TB out of rpgs= a no-go

Add both TB and RT to an rpg= very much wanted

Que?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Agreed. But such seems to be the synopsis.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yeah, me too. BG had it right; pause when you want, rely on initiative rolls and all that jazz. I felt it simple, but powerful.

kirottu said:

Nay! There is only Fallout!! Give me action points and a big, f*cking gun.

(havent played ToEE though)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I see your Turbo Plasma Rifle and rise you a vorpal blade.

kirottu said:

I see your Turbo Plasma Rifle and rise you a vorpal blade.

Oh, yeh? ***** vindicator*

You critically hit

Musopticon in the

groin for 450 hit

points, causing

serious pain

..and theres more where that came from, Buddy :o"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "