Taking turn base action out of RPGs...

Guest MacLeodCorp

Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?

• Yes, RPGs should be turn based.
    • No, RPGs should have a flow in action.
    • Some other resolution needs to be done.

Guest MacLeodCorp

Taking turn base action out of RPGs...

What do you think???

I am a rabid RPG player. I play both tabletop and console RPGs. While playing games like KotOR II, I found that turn base action created a limited experience. Now, I am not knocking on KotOR, but I am bring up a debate about 'turn based' RPGs. I do enjoy the options in dialogue choices, and the ability to customise weapons, armor, etc...

During a turn based game the following occures during action:

Pause

Choose Actions

Attack

Wait for next turn...

Pause

Choose Actions

Attack

Wait for next turn...

Pause

Choose Actions

Attack

Wait for next turn...

A few months ago, I got into playing Star Wars Battlefront II and Episode III. I know they are first person shooter type of games. However, during action sequences, they bring up a fundamental intrest to me. Otherwords, something is allways happening.

While playing KotOR II, I travel the galaxy to solve a problem. When you get into action sequences, it gets a little lagging between waiting periods. Actions are limited to your pallete, and you are stuck to these choices.

How about an RPG that has action/attack sequences that are not turn based, but maintain all the other customizations that make the core elements fun?

How about a Star Wars RPG where you can use the right trigger to swing a lightsaber, and the left trigger to use force powers? Also, how about being able to move your characters freely during the action sequences with the toggles?

Edited by MacLeodCorp

Morrowind is not turn based, yet it has stat based combat. So there can definately be mixed results.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

EPIII isnt first person..

Battlefront is ok but compared to KOTOR there isnt a great deal that your character does. That makes it very easy to handle in real time.

The reason KOTOR has a pause button is because some people can multitask better than others. Once you play FOT without a pause button anything else is cake in comparrison so I rarely use pause except to plan the initial encounter.

Yes it is kind of stuttery in how it plays out. But thats what happens when you have a PnP rule set running in the background.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You can have real-time combat, so long as it doesn't require actual skill on the part of the player (I'm thinking VtM:B here). I don't play shooters or action/arcade games, and can imagine struggling if that kind of combat were introduced into RPGs.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well there is a snowballs chance that KOTOR would have that kind of combat since it would basically kill the cinematic feel of the game dead.

If it's going anywhere it's more towards real time.

I don't mind JRPG style since it removes that annoying waiting for things to move element. But I dont think it would suit KOTOR.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I personally prefer real-time action, but I don't see why we have to choose? Some like turn-based, some don't. Let both co-exist!

Although.. I did like the combat in Jagged Alliance 2. I think that's the only game where turn-based combat has been fun for me.

Edit: syntax.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I like turn base better... Or I should say, I'm use to it.

I've been playing jRPGs since my first NES and it's what I grew up with.

However, I do enjoy some real-time combat (Seiken Densetsu, Tales of Destiny).

I dislike cRPG real-time a bit though...

Edited by Haitoku

RPG's should have a compelling story that allows a player to have a meaningful relationship with their surroundings.

The action of an RPG should have what ever action the developer can do best and make the most enjoyable for the gamer.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

RPG's should have a compelling story that allows a player to have a meaningful relationship with their surroundings. 

The action of an RPG should have what ever action the developer can do best and make the most enjoyable for the gamer.

Thing is if you focus too much on the story and not enough of the rules governing the story and setting then it stops being a RPG and becomes just another adventure game hybrid. There hasn't been a real CRPG released in recent years that I consider high quality.

Real CRPGs are games like Fallout 1 and 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil. The KotORs, Jade Empire, Morrowind, and even NWN 1 certainly have CRPG elements but they do not have the feel of a RPG.